No surprise. No counterpunch from coaching staff. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

No surprise. No counterpunch from coaching staff.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

There’s a lot this play shows.

First of all 2 guys are standing in the same general area letting one person guard them. Makes the double team easy

Two. There is zero respect for Jackson there and that’s why they’re able to so easily (effectively) double sanogo there

With this plan and set it really needed to be sanogo and 4 shooters so you can’t leave someone like that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There’s a lot this play shows.

First of all 2 guys are standing in the same general area letting one person guard them. Makes the double team easy

Two. There is zero respect for Jackson there and that’s why they’re able to so easily (effectively) double sanogo there

With this plan and set it really needed to be sanogo and 4 shooters so you can’t leave someone like that.
Yeah I definitely do not love Gaffney and Polley in this play. Gaffney should have cut. Given that everyone on Seton Hall knew we wanted to dump down to Sanogo and failing that have Martin create , how about an off ball screen and lob for Jackson?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hurley is 6-18 in games decided by 4 points or less at UConn. That's very different than most and a glaring weakness he needs to fix ASAP.
Flesh out the stat please. Against MSU, if I recall, there was a terrible and crucial no call when Cole was mugged. What could he have done to change that? Against SH, there were two defensive possessions that were actually pretty good but still resulted in 4 points for SH down the stretch. The play where Whaley fouled was an excellent defensive stand. Richmond’s last basket was actually pretty well defended, he was off balance and his shot fell anyway. The UConn possession that everyone is focussed on was preceded by a good possession. So if we win both of those games what does it say about Hurley? Go through both the close games we won vs those we lost and then figure out how in the overall flow of the game and the last few minutes what he failed to do. Did he do the “right thing “ and did it fail? Maybe you’re right, but without flesh it’s just a stat. I think his teams throw out very few real clunkers and the SH game could’ve been a total no show under the circumstances. That’s worth talking about, too.

Reaction Score
Flesh out the stat please. Against MSU, if I recall, there was a terrible and crucial no call when Cole was mugged. What could he have done to change that? Against SH, there were two defensive possessions that were actually pretty good but still resulted in 4 points for SH down the stretch. The play where Whaley fouled was an excellent defensive stand. Richmond’s last basket was actually pretty well defended, he was off balance and his shot fell anyway. The UConn possession that everyone is focussed on was preceded by a good possession. So if we win both of those games what does it say about Hurley? Go through both the close games we won vs those we lost and then figure out how in the overall flow of the game and the last few minutes what he failed to do. Did he do the “right thing “ and did it fail? Maybe you’re right, but without flesh it’s just a stat. I think his teams throw out very few real clunkers and the SH game could’ve been a total no show under the circumstances. That’s worth talking about, too.
You want me to watch 24 games again and tell you why we lost 18 of them at the end? I'm not going to do that. If you watched all these games you saw us run the clock down only to have our 5'10 guards drive into trees turning it over, you watched us run clock to not get a shot off. If you can't see there is a terrible pattern there and it's problematic that's on you, numbers don't lie.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Your narrative is tiring. This has happened over and over the past 2-3 seasons with this coach. No in-game adjustments, losing winnable games at an alarming rate, blowing late leads. You provide the evidence of all the teams it happens to as much as ours with the same coach and the same talent and then maybe we'll have something to talk about. For now, I think most people on this board only care about it happening over and over and over again to ONE team in particular.
Sorry if you don’t like counter narratives.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, the goal is to win games and in doing so, you must beat some ranked teams. Hurley is 7-27 against ranked opponents and only two of those losses were while coaching Wagner.

Reaction Score
How many people on this board salivate about a kid who can go NBA after a year or two and think it’s great for the program. So Bouknight leaves and that’s on Hurley that the replacement isn’t Bouknight reincarnated. Hawkins was supposedly that guy but if he’s going to be, it is, as they say, a work in progress. Was Diggins a mistake? People on the board liked that we got him. Did Hurley make a blunder in recruiting Jackson who was touted as crazy athletic, good with the ball and a potential dominator. He’s a few of those things but not the scoring threat that would make Cole‘s life much easier. Gaffney had a pretty good resume coming out of his. Bouknight left and that certainly impacted the construction of the team in a bunch of ways, including viable options to go to in close games. Not that many one on one guys with range that need to be accounted for. I’m not convinced the absence of a well constructed team is a recruiting failure unless we think everyone else who recruited these kids was wrong.
Not a failure but a flaw that should have been noticed and addressed. We have been lacking shooting, scoring, creating and playmaking for years. Way too early to draw any long term conclusions on this years freshmen class. Think they will still be really good. Just maybe not this year although Hawkins will continue to evolve. Counting on freshmen, unless they are the Duke or Kentucky kind of top 20 guys, to fix your existing woes are a fools errand.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You want me to watch 24 games again and tell you why we lost 18 of them at the end? I'm not going to do that. If you watched all these games you saw us run the clock down only to have our 5'10 guards drive into trees turning it over, you watched us run clock to not get a shot off. If you can't see there is a terrible pattern there and it's problematic that's on you, numbers don't lie.
Numbers are numbers. Are my examples wrong? They are included in your stats. I did bother to look at a few things fa. Granted I don’t remember how tge games played out, did you know that in his 2nd UConn year with a basically young team we lost several close games including 3 OT games to ranked teams? Could be maybe that we were competitive at all days something.

Reaction Score
Your narrative is tiring. This has happened over and over the past 2-3 seasons with this coach. No in-game adjustments, losing winnable games at an alarming rate, blowing late leads. You provide the evidence of all the teams it happens to as much as ours with the same coach and the same talent and then maybe we'll have something to talk about. For now, I think most people on this board only care about it happening over and over and over again to ONE team in particular.
We get it Bring back KO

Reaction Score
Hurley is 6-18 in games decided by 4 points or less at UConn. That's very different than most and a glaring weakness he needs to fix ASAP.
Or he gets sent back to Rhody? Maybe? Pleeeeease????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom