No Signing Event @ The Dog House... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

No Signing Event @ The Dog House...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can you stop typing for 5 minutes? Honestly. People are participating in this thread to voice that they CARE about the football program and would like to celebrate with the students that choose our school. And yet you feel the need to be Bob Diaco's security detail.

If you don't care about the signing day, then don't comment on it. It's not that hard a concept...

All that is missing is Stairmaster shaking his head in disbelief at message board culture. Did you know people overreact and post emotionally? Thankfully he is always there to point it out.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
All that is missing is Stairmaster shaking his head in disbelief at message board culture. Did you know people overreact and post emotionally? Thankfully he is always there to point it out.

Don't get me wrong; it's been extremely hard to keep my sunny-side-up personality after the last few years. And although I have been critical of Diaco a lot of times during this past year, I'm still holding out hope that he can turn the ship around. Some of these new recruits absolutely look like "the real deal". I mean, we're getting the #1 DT in Pennsylvania??? Are you kidding me?!? That's right....f#$k you, Penn State!!!

But that's just the point, isn't it? I mean, if I'm this excited about some of these kids, then I KNOW that my fellow Husky fans who normally attend this event must be friggin' overjoyed! So give them the venue to let these kids know that we appreciate them choosing the University of Connecticut...

Reaction Score
But I definitely understand the desire to celebrate with the kids and make it feel special to become a Husky...

.. So I definitely understand wanting to create a great environment for the incoming kids.

UCD97 - You know that none of the actual incoming commits are actually @ the event right? Just checking...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UCD97 - You know that none of the actual incoming commits are actually @ the event right? Just checking...

To be honest, I wasn't sure (I wasn't sure if it would be an NCAA violation, for which Emmert would punish only UConn). I've never been to one. But I take it that in this day of 5-second media and everything being public, that the kids want to still "feel the love". Word will travel to the recruits either way. They want to feel a "big-time" atmosphere. Part of that atmosphere is creating events such as this. It's why I haven't missed a Spring Game in as long as I can remember. Gotta let the kids "feel the love"...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No. Nor have I complained about any of it. Hope everyone gets their wish. Seeing as how most don't even want to listen to Diaco speak, what's the point? It's seems to me most have heard enough. Yet they sign on here, and complain, complain, complain about every move and every word from administration and staff.

Dooshbag says what?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
P's first year they had it in the XL Exhibition Hall before a BB game. Why not do the same thing in the training facility this year?

UConn football season ticket holders and donors are invited to attend Coach Diaco’s National Signing Day Press Conference, which will be held in The Burton Family Football Complex/Mark R. Shenkman Training Center in Storrs at 4:00 p.m.

Do I have to think of everything?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Don't forget the men's hockey game in Hartford at the same time as MBB is on-campus.

Considering MBB is playing ECU, the size of the crowds is gonna be closer than you'd assume.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't forget the men's hockey game in Hartford at the same time as MBB is on-campus.

Considering MBB is playing ECU, the size of the crowds is gonna be closer than you'd assume.

If you could get a real attendance... Gampel -750 (-110).

Hockey at XL allows for synergy - have an event in Hartford and grab some extra hockey attendance.

Remember how the state gov forces UConn to play at XL? The science center is a few blocks away - we could use a deal on that room.

Event ends at 6:40 and we'll trade you $10 for a hockey ticket as you leave.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Oh, I know Gampel will have more, since hockey capacity is only, what, 5800? But lets just say I'll be pleasantly shocked by a sell out for the mighty pirates.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh, I know Gampel will have more, since hockey capacity is only, what, 5800? But lets just say I'll be pleasantly shocked by a sell out for the mighty pirates.

When I searched for Lowell tickets they had opened up the ends. Didn't look like 5800 cap.

Reaction Score
zls44 said:
There were over 8k for BC.

Reaction Score
Can you stop typing for 5 minutes? Honestly. People are participating in this thread to voice that they CARE about the football program and would like to celebrate with the students that choose our school. And yet you feel the need to be Bob Diaco's security detail.

If you don't care about the signing day, then don't comment on it. It's not that hard a concept...

Hey he flew up for the Boise game and screamed his little head off.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Soooo... is anyone on here actually going to this half-assed National Signing Day presser/event at The Burton on campus? I might tried to go with my group.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I wasn't sure (I wasn't sure if it would be an NCAA violation, for which Emmert would punish only UConn). I've never been to one. But I take it that in this day of 5-second media and everything being public, that the kids want to still "feel the love". Word will travel to the recruits either way. They want to feel a "big-time" atmosphere. Part of that atmosphere is creating events such as this. It's why I haven't missed a Spring Game in as long as I can remember. Gotta let the kids "feel the love"...
Yes only players currently on the roster in school could attend. A bonus many did not realize, every year they would have 8-10 seniors at a table to sign autographs and then mingle with the crowd to meet, chat and answer questions. Coaches families were also present so you not only met the coach but the family also. Photo ops galore for those that enjoy having the momento of a pic with the coach. Let us not forget the AD always present and available to answer questions. Many would also bring the kids which had to make an impression with all the positive hype and the view of the field from the 5th floor (I think) and the field all lit up.
Obviously not for everyone but another fumble in the PR dept in my opinion. Like others have said here you almost felt like part of the team and were treated that way. Always a ton of energy in the room and with Bob's mantra being what it is I find this situation hard to understand to say the least.
As for what they are giving us, I will get on line after work and check it out but it sure will not be my first football fix of 2015. Have to wait for the spring game this year.

Reaction Score
UConn has a major problem even with it's ardent fans. I am a big fan of UConn sports even though I attended other schools. I grew up in Connecticut and lived and raised my family here. I played Bball and that is what drew me to the University as a sports fan.

My brother is a UConn graduate. He competed at two different sports at the school and was a captain of at least one team. He has a significant job and knows personally quite a few movers and shakers in Connecticut. He follows basketball closely and can tell you a lot about the men's and women's teams. In a conversation over the holidays he told me that the football media and players hate Bob Diaco. I pressed him for details and he clearly knew nothing but gossip. Things he heard from people like Jeff Jacobs and Joe Zone and Desmond Connor, none of whom has a love for UConn.. He alluded to the linebacker who quit because he was "mistreated", the one who's daddy had to intervene for him.

I believe our team just needs to win for the large majority of fans to come around.
On the other hand the school really needs to work hard at selling itself. My brother hears nothing directly from UConn about football. That has to change. So far they are doing a terrible job. This afterthought about a signing day event is like salt in the wound. Thank God they have responded.

Reaction Score
I was really anticipating this event. We went for many years and always had a good time. Sad it's almost a non event now.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Some of these writers need to see how writers of the SEC, Big Ten, Pac Ten, ACC and Big Twelve write articles on the local universities. It is a total different world. While the writers can get tough, they also write articles that talk about the team and a inside look at players and coaches. On game day there are pages on the team unlike here where you get two articles at best.

Reaction Score
Breaking News Alert:

Warde is um "monitoring" the situation and will surely positively resolve this issue.

I got this diurectly from him as he was exciting Dunkin Donuts holding boxes containing 3 dozen donuts. He said he was "all over it". Athe time I hopfeully thought that he was referrign to the Signing Day event. Now, in retrospect, I think he was referrign to the donuts.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Breaking News Alert:

Warde is um "monitoring" the situation and will surely positively resolve this issue.

I got this diurectly from him as he was exciting Dunkin Donuts holding boxes containing 3 dozen donuts. He said he was "all over it". Athe time I hopfeully thought that he was referrign to the Signing Day event. Now, in retrospect, I think he was referrign to the donuts.
Don't take it personally, but the monitoring and donut jokes are so, so played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom