No Games At Gampel Until March?? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

No Games At Gampel Until March??

Reaction Score
I don’t attend games at Gampel because of the bench seats. I’m old and sitting without back support is very difficult for me. Plus being squeezed with winter coats etc makes the seating very tight.
they're not all bench seats, ya know.

Reaction Score
So my random, semi-related question...

What's up with the lights in Gampel? Why are they going with the darker, smokey arena look instead of lights up hands up in the glory days?

I'm honestly asking - I figured it was because the ceiling was a mess for years and they didn't want it to be seen on TV... but honestly I kind of hate it...
This obviously isnt life or death, but I also like how Gampel used to look. In person, it looks a lot brighter than it comes off through TV. I remember somebody posted what Mike Gorman said about Gampel and how the atmosphere and the brightness of the arena made it a great place for a college basketball game compared to the other arenas in the Big East at the time.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I thought for the longest time that alcohol could not be sold by an on campus or school sponsored establishment. Then the Nutmeg Cafe got a license, as did the hotel (naturally opened after I graduated). Other than insurance, which is a low bar to clear, I don't see why beer cannot be sold a Gampel. It should be. Would be a huge money maker for the school.

For many years, it was an NCAA rule that alcohol could not be served at any on campus venues. If any school played games at off campus venues they could sell alcohol if they wanted to at off campus venues. Then about 20 years ago the NCAA decided it was disingenuous to take sponsorship money from beer companies and not allow beer to be sold at on campus venues, so they left it up to the schools to decide for themselves if alcohol could be sold on campus. Strangely, the NCAA still bans alcohol sales at all Final Four and other NCAA championship events.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For many years, it was an NCAA rule that alcohol could not be served at any on campus venues. If any school played games at off campus venues they could sell alcohol if they wanted to at off campus venues. Then about 20 years ago the NCAA decided it was disingenuous to take sponsorship money from beer companies and not allow beer to be sold at on campus venues, so they left it up to the schools to decide for themselves if alcohol could be sold on campus. Strangely, the NCAA still bans alcohol sales at all Final Four and other NCAA championship events.

think they changed the rules for basketball tourney at least.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The problem isn’t the venue it’s the fans. Even UConn Students can’t be bothered to make the trip from Storrs to Hartford with free transportation. But a 60 year old working guy is suppose to drive 2+ hrs one way in traffic on a work night in winter ?

The buses are often late and only recently been free, but please go on about how a bunch of kids, many of whom don't have cars because of the expenses, should be able to get to the games in Hartford.

And yes, old man, sack up. #CasualFan

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
think they changed the rules for basketball tourney at least.
The Big East used to allow Beer sales at MSG and AAC obviously did when the conference tournament was in Hartford, but there was no beer sales for the NCAAs at MSG in 2014. Also none for the NCAA Baseball Tourney when UConn hosted at Dodd in Norwich. 2012, If I recall correctly.

If the NCAA leaves it up to the institution, there is almost no reason for beer and wine to not be sold at Gampel.

(For those about to state that high school orgs often staff the concession stands as a fundraiser, save it. They do the same at Renschler and still sell booze.).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big East used to allow Beer sales at MSG and AAC obviously did when the Conference was in Hartford, but there was no beer sales for the NCAAs at MSG in 2014. Also none for the NCAA Baseball Tourney when UConn hosted at Dodd in Norwich. 2012, If I recall correctly.

i heard it changed for this coming tourney

ie there will be xl beer sales for the sub regionals

Reaction Score
No because I can’t afford the donation plus the ticket. How old are you?

You can buy single tickets, in chairs with backs, fairly cheaply. I wasn't talking about season tickets. Just checked, for a future Gampel game. Single ticket on the seat-back side. $33 + $5. Is $38 too much for you? Bye.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah I thought it was that and the ceiling tiles looking like crap. Honestly, I heard that from a ton of people.

The action that matters is everywhere. College basketball's about the experience, not just the game. The game - when it's good - is nice to care about and helps. But sports is entirely about the fan experience. If it looks like you're playing in a library, well...
I think you're in the minority on this, everyone does it and it's way better. MSG always had that stadium lighting where you focus on the action on the court. Who wants to feel like they're in a CVS watching a game with flourescent lighting.

Reaction Score
No because I can’t afford the donation plus the ticket. How old are you?
I agree with about sitting on benches they are bad. I will only get chair backs.
Most of the chair backs are season tickets.
But single game seats for benches and chair backs are the same price and no donation. I buy single game chair backs often

Reaction Score
Playing on campus is always the best place for a true home court advantage.
I would like to see more games at the Gampel because it is the best advantage for a win
Yeah that would be the case if they got 9-10k a game but that’s not happening. The fan base out there is small so unless people drive from the Hartford area you won’t get sellouts. Everyone’s mindset is changing when they sell “10,100 tickets”(I saw some empty seats) on campus for the first time in awhile. XL usually draws 10k+. If you are struggling to make money, you want more fans that won’t buy the cheap student priced seats. I can see where you’re coming from but the student body is not interested in men’s basketball right now because of it’s recent history and lack of national recognition. They had to give away tickets for free, plus shirts and hats to fill up the student section. Sure the atmosphere was great but it will probably only be that full at the USF game because of Ray Allen. Houston wouldn’t even get 10k there because students won’t go to a game on Valentine’s Day, they are all going to go out and party and go on dates.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't have anything to contribute other than you can't get from Hartford to Storrs in 20 minutes unless you're going triple digits.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't have anything to contribute other than you can't get from Hartford to Storrs in 20 minutes unless you're going triple digits.

So right now, with light traffic:
1548795821390.png

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So right now, with light traffic:
View attachment 38894

If you hit all the lights, roll through the stop signs, do 80-85 in the 65s, and 70 in the 45's, you may be able to shave enough time to get it under a 1/2 hour.

Watch out for that dip by the old gray barn on 44 though. Don't want to leave your transmission on a rural country road. Albeit was more of a hazard before cell phones.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Terrible! They are clearly better at Gampel and Hurley always talk about it. I bet he makes a push to have us play there more often. More Gampel = more W's.
I’m guessing Hurley likes his salary. Calhoun seemed to do ok in Hartford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom