No Games At Gampel Until March?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No Games At Gampel Until March??

Reaction Score
Yeah keep telling yourself people should spend money to sit through dreadful games a hypothetical 30 minutes away and buying a drink is taboo.

Who wouldn’t sign up for that.
I said people would watch them play at a garbage dump if the team was good, only caveat is the garbage dump would probably need to be within walking distance for the Hartford fanbase. The half hour drive may have been a problem even when we had the best team in the country. It's just strange and lame, that's all.

I think people should be able to drink alcohol and smoke everywhere including work, church etc. Some on campus arenas and stadiums just don't allow it and it doesn't really take away from my enjoyment of the game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I said people would watch them play at a garbage dump if the team was good, only caveat is the garbage dump would probably need to be within walking distance for the Hartford fanbase. The half hour drive may have been a problem even when we had the best team in the country. It's just strange and lame, that's all.

I think people should be able to drink alcohol and smoke everywhere including work, church etc. Some on campus arenas and stadiums just don't allow it and it doesn't really take away from my enjoyment of the game.

No offense to you - but it’s easy to say you’d drive a half hour into the cold to a third rate building to see Tulsa or East Carolina play basketball to get home at 10/11 on a work/school night.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Only winter break games should be played at XL
When classes are in session all games at Gampel
I've been saying this for years
Said it to Dee Rowe who agrees, JC liked Gampel, I've mentioned it to many folks and the only one who looked ay me like I had 3 eyes was Jeff Hathaway.. Never approached AD David Benedict, wouldn't waste my time or energy

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes, they don't sell alcohol at on campus arenas. Come on, nobody should need alcohol to enjoy a college basketball game.

As I said it's all about the money but the half hour drive thing is just weird.
I thought for the longest time that alcohol could not be sold by an on campus or school sponsored establishment. Then the Nutmeg Cafe got a license, as did the hotel (naturally opened after I graduated). Other than insurance, which is a low bar to clear, I don't see why beer cannot be sold a Gampel. It should be. Would be a huge money maker for the school.

Reaction Score
So my random, semi-related question...

What's up with the lights in Gampel? Why are they going with the darker, smokey arena look instead of lights up hands up in the glory days?

I'm honestly asking - I figured it was because the ceiling was a mess for years and they didn't want it to be seen on TV... but honestly I kind of hate it...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
So my random, semi-related question...

What's up with the lights in Gampel? Why are they going with the darker, smokey arena look instead of lights up hands up in the glory days?

I'm honestly asking - I figured it was because the ceiling was a mess for years and they didn't want it to be seen on TV... but honestly I kind of hate it...

LED lighting is the new trend everywhere. Part of the move in the tech is it can better focus the light on the target whereas older bulb systems bleed light all over the place.

Reaction Score
LED lighting is the new trend everywhere. Part of the move in the tech is it can better focus the light on the target whereas older bulb systems bleed light all over the place.

Can't they focus it on the whole arena?

Maybe I grew up on too much WWE, but they always had the arena lit up well, looked like it was always packed, had energy... you'd turn on NWA/Turner and Ric Flair looked like he was wrestling in a tunnel.

Reaction Score

Maybe I grew up on too much WWE, but they always had the arena lit up well, looked like it was always packed, had energy... you'd turn on NWA/Turner and Ric Flair looked like he was wrestling in a tunnel.
Only problem is gampel has sold out like twice over the past 2 and half years. I honestly thought they changed the lighting to hide the empty upper sections

Husky25

Reaction Score

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

LEDs save on energy and money and are able to be focused on the action that matters. Who cares about the guy in 202 eating his popcorn?

Reaction Score
No offense to you - but it’s easy to say you’d drive a half hour into the cold to a third rate building to see Tulsa or East Carolina play basketball to get home at 10/11 on a work/school night.

Well, I do it . . .

Just saying.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, I do it . . .

Just saying.

obviously some people choose too. but its still easy for someone who doesnt have to actually make the decision to spend the money to do it... to say they would do it.

Reaction Score
Only problem is gampel has sold out like twice over the past 2 and half years. I honestly thought they changed the lighting to hide the empty upper sections

Yeah I thought it was that and the ceiling tiles looking like crap. Honestly, I heard that from a ton of people.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

LEDs save on energy and money and are able to be focused on the action that matters. Who cares about the guy in 202 eating his popcorn?

The action that matters is everywhere. College basketball's about the experience, not just the game. The game - when it's good - is nice to care about and helps. But sports is entirely about the fan experience. If it looks like you're playing in a library, well...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah I thought it was that and the ceiling tiles looking like crap. Honestly, I heard that from a ton of people.

The action that matters is everywhere. College basketball's about the experience, not just the game. The game - when it's good - is nice to care about and helps. But sports is entirely about the fan experience. If it looks like you're playing in a library, well...
Did you mean to mix your metaphors? Unless there are stacks and rows of books on the court, I couldn't care less if it "looks" like they play in a library. OTOH, I wouldn't care too much for them to play in what sounds like a library (Unless you mean Homer Babbage circa 1997, with the jack hammers and falling debris).

The game IS the experience. It gives rise to everything about the experience. The lights are focused where they need to be focused.

Reaction Score
And FWIW, I get the energy savings/why.

I just feel like it takes energy away from the game.

Also, so does not being good at basketball.

Reaction Score
But at least it saves some people 20 minutes in a car, thank goodness, my God, the commute from Hartford to Storrs is like walking across the Himalayas!!!!!
If you live in Fairfield County or Even South Western New Haven , Hartford is a pain in the Butt to get to at commute time. 84 in Waterbury can take 45 minutes to clear, Storrs is just worse.
It’s closer to an additional 35-40 minutes away according to my GPS.
That’s in perfect weather. Has parking improved at Storrs in the past dozen years?
Just fill Up the old mall with good fans and trust me it will rock.
That place could be magic.
The problem isn’t the venue it’s the fans. Even UConn Students can’t be bothered to make the trip from Storrs to Hartford with free transportation. But a 60 year old working guy is suppose to drive 2+ hrs one way in traffic on a work night in winter ?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Ever watch Utah State play basketball?

My life gets in the way of me watching pretty much anything but UConn, which (far more often than not) is off the DVR.

I have been to a handful of Gampel games since the lights were replaced. I liked it. It looks like MSG...the only good aspect of MSG...and took a great deal of focus off of the degrading ceiling.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Only winter break games should be played at XL
When classes are in session all games at Gampel
I've been saying this for years
Said it to Dee Rowe who agrees, JC liked Gampel, I've mentioned it to many folks and the only one who looked ay me like I had 3 eyes was Jeff Hathaway.. Never approached AD David Benedict, wouldn't waste my time or energy
FWIW Jeff Hathaway did have 3 eyes, I believe.

Reaction Score
If you live in Fairfield County or Even South Western New Haven , Hartford is a pain in the Butt to get to at commute time. 84 in Waterbury can take 45 minutes to clear, Storrs is just worse.
It’s closer to an additional 35-40 minutes away according to my GPS.
That’s in perfect weather. Has parking improved at Storrs in the past dozen years?
Just fill Up the old mall with good fans and trust me it will rock.
That place could be magic.
The problem isn’t the venue it’s the fans. Even UConn Students can’t be bothered to make the trip from Storrs to Hartford with free tranportation. But a 60 year old working guy is suppose to drive 2+ hrs one way in traffic on a work night in winter ?

I have to assume you haven't been through Waterbury on 84 since the construction completion. It is now very easy to get through. Well into my 70's and much prefer the drive from Southington to Gampel rather than the games in Htfd. And yes, I preferred to drive to Gampel while still working.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The more people complain and lecture about it the less likely anyone is to go to Storrs.

Sure they are lame but they have money and no they aren’t interested in driving to Storrs.

Me included - I go there maybe once a year.

Thats not even a bad drive from your place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom