No Games At Gampel Until March?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Games At Gampel Until March??

C

Chief00

Much better attention to detail is needed regarding XL and Gampel scheduling. This just doesn’t mean for UConn games but for the winter break the XL needs to keep much of the schedule open for UConn ganes. The we can’t host a UConn game due to a conflict should not be an excuse - start with better strategic planning in the first place.

Reaction Score
If either building is full it's a great atmosphere. Despite the poor record, Wichita state is a name program and drew a big crowd and the atmosphere was great. How has it been for the other gampel games this year?

Reaction Score
If either building is full it's a great atmosphere. Despite the poor record, Wichita state is a name program and drew a big crowd and the atmosphere was great. How has it been for the other gampel games this year?
Yes agree. Besides the home opener Gampel has gotten only 7k.
Another issue is that I’m sure the XL would have lots of students if college kids actually wanted to spend most of the day in that city. But they don’t, and I don’t blame them.

Reaction Score

Yea but outside of opening night, this was the first game that realistically could and should have a good crowd at Gampel. SMU was while the students were on break, and Tulane last week was a last second early time right before a snow storm. The rest have been the cupcake type games that never have good atmospheres.

Hartford has had Arizona and UCF on a weekend so far, and still gets Cincy and Houston.. Granted, its harder to split them up evenly than it used to be because there's so few marquee games

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
But at least it saves some people 20 minutes in a car, thank goodness, my God, the commute from Hartford to Storrs is like walking across the Himalayas!!!!!
It is actually if there is ice, snow and alcohol involved. Plus XL is as desolate

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The we can’t host a UConn game due to a conflict should not be an excuse - start with better strategic planning in the first place.

UConn needs to manage the XL and the Rent because it fixes a multitude of problems. The state should symbolically transfer them to the university for $1.

For the XL Center, UConn isn't the primary tenant. The Wolf Pack are. Because they're 40ish dates. So they get priority scheduling. Which is, obviously, completely insane. UConn needs to get in charge there and the only way that happens is if UConn controls the building.

A similar thing happened in Lowell, where UMass Lowell got control of the Tsongas Center and its not a coincidence that their hockey program (their equivalent of BB) immediately took off. In this case, UConn would actually get all of the ticket revenue, and concessions revenue and maybe even, gosh, a cut of the parking revenue.

Things are bad for the athletic department financially, but they're also getting absolutely screwed out of a large chunk of money that by all accounts nobody but UConn deserves.

C

Chief00

UConn needs to manage the XL and the Rent because it fixes a multitude of problems. The state should symbolically transfer them to the university for $1.

For the XL Center, UConn isn't the primary tenant. The Wolf Pack are. Because they're 40ish dates. So they get priority scheduling. Which is, obviously, completely insane. UConn needs to get in charge there and the only way that happens is if UConn controls the building.

A similar thing happened in Lowell, where UMass Lowell got control of the Tsongas Center and its not a coincidence that their hockey program (their equivalent of BB) immediately took off. In this case, UConn would actually get all of the ticket revenue, and concessions revenue and maybe even, gosh, a cut of the parking revenue.

Things are bad for the athletic department financially, but they're also getting absolutely screwed out of a large chunk of money that by all accounts nobody but UConn deserves.

I agree, you nailed the answer. Unfortunately, the Capital District Development Agency is filled with political and lobbyist types making money off the money UConn’s not getting. This is a great opportunity for the new governor to demonstrate - things are going to be different. We can hope.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree, you nailed the answer. Unfortunately, the Capital District Development Agency is filled with political and lobbyist types making money off the money UConn’s not getting. This is a great opportunity for the new governor to demonstrate - things are going to be different. We can hope.

That is a huge issue as it is so political and it shouldn't be. I agree at least with The Rent and handing it over to UConn as they would manage it better and wouldn't lose money as they are now.
I wish I had say where I could ask the new governor personally. I may ask a friend who is on his team and maybe catch his ear on this one issue.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I wish I had say where I could ask the new governor personally. I may ask a friend who is on his team and maybe catch his ear on this one issue.

Ask him who he thinks gets the revenue for parking at UConn football games or beer sales at UConn basketball games.

Then, when he says the logical answer, tell him the actual answer and see if his eyes glaze over.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

UConn wouldn’t want the buildings. That would just increase the hole.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
XL Center is a dump. The atmosphere there is so bad you can literally (the actual use of the word) hear the lights buzzing. I've seen more people having fun at the 9/11 memorial in Manhattan.

I was at the game last night in Gampel. The atmosphere was great! People were having fun, the players played with the crowds energy. That is what college basketball should be.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

My feeling is the only worse money managers than government agencies are universities

Reaction Score
sure they are 40 mill in the hole - let’s walk away from the Hartford fanbase and lose their money too.

XL can close faster and the hockey team can play at the bolton ice palace.
Money is why they play in Hartford but I've never understood this Hartford fanbase thing? Connecticut is about the size of my taint, how could it have a fractured UConn fanbase? The Hartford fanbase can't be bothered to drive a half hour to Storrs? Other schools have people driving for many hours to watch games. This makes our fanbase look incredibly lame, or the "Hartford fanbase" look incredibly lame.

Reaction Score
The atnmosphere in Gample >>> XL. The stae 'whould' realize, that while it is tanking, UConn (ie Gample) is its only bright light.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Houston game is at the XL? Lord help us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Money is why they play in Hartford but I've never understood this Hartford fanbase thing? Connecticut is about the size of my taint, how could it have a fractured UConn fanbase? The Hartford fanbase can't be bothered to drive a half hour to Storrs? Other schools have people driving for many hours to watch games. This makes our fanbase look incredibly lame, or the "Hartford fanbase" look incredibly lame.

The more people complain and lecture about it the less likely anyone is to go to Storrs.

Sure they are lame but they have money and no they aren’t interested in driving to Storrs.

Me included - I go there maybe once a year.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
The problem isn't the venue. The problem is the fans and the teams inconsistency. Both arenas work when the team is playing well and drawing crowds.

Reaction Score
The more people complain and lecture about it the less likely anyone is to go to Storrs.

Sure they are lame but they have money and no they aren’t interested in driving to Storrs.

Me included - I go there maybe once a year.
I don't get it, it's a half hour away.

As people have said both venues are fine, they could be playing on a garbage dump and
if the team is good people will show up but I really don't get the unwillingness to drive a half hour.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't get it, it's a half hour away.

As people have said both venues are fine, they could be playing on a garbage dump and
if the team is good people will show up but I really don't get the unwillingness to drive a half hour.

In Hartford we make a short walk from lot or walk out of our offices to bars near the game.

Then we watch the game and there is a huge bar and guys selling beer.

Then we leave before it’s over for a short commute home.

Storrs shoves us in a garage and sells us Sprite and peanuts in alcove and then we drive 40 minutes home.

UConn hates playing in Hartford - but they like our money.

Reaction Score
In Hartford we make a short walk from lot or walk out of our offices to bars near the game.

Then we watch the game and there is a huge bar and guys selling beer.

Then we leave before it’s over for a short commute home.

Storrs shoves us in a garage and sells us Sprite and peanuts in alcove and then we drive 40 minutes home.

UConn hates playing in Hartford - but they like our money.
Yes, they don't sell alcohol at on campus arenas. Come on, nobody should need alcohol to enjoy a college basketball game.

As I said it's all about the money but the half hour drive thing is just weird.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Yes, they don't sell alcohol at on campus arenas. Come on, nobody should need alcohol to enjoy a college basketball game.

This is why I love living in Nevada. Full bar at multiple locations at University of Nevada basketball and football games on campus.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yeah keep telling yourself people should spend money to sit through dreadful games a hypothetical 30 minutes away and buying a drink is taboo.

Who wouldn’t sign up for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom