No Cal, your season is NOT historic... | The Boneyard

No Cal, your season is NOT historic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the press conference Cal claims his teams run this year was historic due to what they accomplished with the schedule they played….

Sorry Cal - This is just another team added to a long list of teams that didn't complete the task. Being a part of that dubious club is this teams legacy.

Nothing more than that.

Nothing special.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The SEC is God awful basketball. UK running through the SEC is no more impressive than Squid's Memphis teams running through the CUSA. Come tourney time, their ISO sets can be defended and their lack of defensive coaching can be beaten with sound offensive sets. When have we seen that done before???

Reaction Score
Its historic in that it's over and in the past, while other teams seasons are still in the present, but it's not one of the great teams of all time. I'm Sure ESPN is excited because they get a few extra days for Kentucky preseason hype, their favorite type of college basketball coverage.

Reaction Score
It's historic the same way that Wichita State, St Joe's and UNLV had undefeated teams going into the NCAA tournament, but didn't win the championship. At least UNLV made it to the final game.

It's got to be hard to accept for Kentucky fans that their team lost in the championship game last year and then this year their even more talented team didn't advance as far.

Reaction Score
how about that illinois team with deron williams on it nobody remembers. that level of historic. btw that team would murder this UK team. just think about how much better deron williams was than any guard on uk. and luther head was a better shooter than anybody on uk, maybe devin booker has a hair on him. not sure though.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Cal and Big Blue Nation are made for each other like a crooked preacher and a congregation of desperate to be saved dimwits.

Edit: I'm not anti Christian or religion. Don't misunderstand.

Reaction Score
It's historic the same way that Wichita State, St Joe's and UNLV had undefeated teams going into the NCAA tournament, but didn't win the championship. At least UNLV made it to the final game.

It's got to be hard to accept for Kentucky fans that their team lost in the championship game last year and then this year their even more talented team didn't advance as far.

The 1991 UNLV team lost in the semi's to Dook.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They hold the record for most wins in a season which is historic and worthy of some 38-0 shirts.

They went 38-1 - that's a pretty good year right there. They lost their first game in April which doesn't negate the fact that they were a terrific team.

And their defense and the winning streak were both 'historic'.

Reaction Score
What this really shows is how f###ing hard it is to win a six round single elimination tournament in college basketball these days. RAther than mocking Coach Cal (well -- rather than mocking him too much), the real lesson here is how incredible it is that we've actually managed to win 4 out of the last 17. As a board, we tend to downplay what we've accomplished and wondered why other really good teams don't win championships often.

Reaction Score
Truthfully, Wisconsin is just slightly better than Kentucky. Everyone raves about Kentucky's defense, but in terms of historical numbers, Wisconsin's offense is better than Kentucky's defense.

Reaction Score
Its historic in that it's over and in the past, while other teams seasons are still in the present, but it's not one of the great teams of all time. I'm Sure ESPN is excited because they get a few extra days for Kentucky preseason hype, their favorite type of college basketball coverage.
Give me a break. If UConn had 5-6 McDonald's All-Americans coming in next year, they'd get the same amount of preseason hype.

And anyway, who cares about preseason hype? I'll take National Championships in April over that any day.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Give me a break. If UConn had 5-6 McDonald's All-Americans coming in next year, they'd get the same amount of preseason hype.

And anyway, who cares about preseason hype? I'll take National Championships in April over that any day.
No they wouldn't. There are a handful of programs who get more coverage for the simple fact they have more demand. It's the reason Carolina has its own blog on ESPN.

Reaction Score
RU 1976 was a real good squad

Jordan, Dabney, Sellers, Copeland and Bailey - very good starting line up but they're bench was short if I remember correctly and ultimately hurt them.

Reaction Score
Jordan, Dabney, Sellers, Copeland and Bailey - very good starting line up but they're bench was short if I remember correctly and ultimately hurt them.
I did a two year sentence there before transferring during that run. From a fan's standpoint it was historic (think UConn before fame). That season was unforgettable.

UK feels different because they were preseason number one and never fell. So I would call their regular season a great season but one that will be forgotten over time, because of multiple Final Four failures. Therefore to me not historic. I am to biased and my disdain for the program doesn't allow me to appreciate their season.

With that said I would take that record every year if we could. So I do tip my cap to uk for this season.
Yes Mau I can do that now since they aren't playing tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom