No Boatright Tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No Boatright Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This game should be less challenging then practice against the B team. I would not worry that we have a few players getting limited minutes at this point. Our D is going to be wayyyyyy to much for them and while RB could use the time on the court and Wolf could use the time against a cup cake or two- it is nothing to get our panties in a wad over.

Heck I heard Quse looked like total crap in their game this week. Issues all over the place. I did hear Melo improved a good bit from last year so that should make him an average 7 footer if last year was any indication.

I watched Cuse last night and no they did not look great, but in a way it's hard to look good against a team that bad. One thing that needs mentioning is that Melo did not look that good. Cuse fans (who are desperate for him not to be a total disaster again this year) will say that he looked vastly improved because he lost weight and is slightly faster, dunked a few lobs in the first few minutes, and made a few wide open jumpers over shorter guys... But honestly, if you google image the really overweight guy* that was guarding him then you will understand why these were not impressive in any way... Melo didn't show me anything that suggests he can score against a middle-of-the-road D1 defender, nevermind a frontline like Uconn's...

*In defense of the really overweight guy, he is a very good basketball player and is probably reaching 90-100% of his potential. In a way, this is far more impressive than a guy like Joseph who reaches at best 60% of his potential...

Reaction Score
what the heck could the NCAA be reviewing if it has nothing to do with academics? seems odd to me, but i guess nothing should surprise us at this point...
I was thinking the same thing as soon as i heard about it. i also dont think its a discipline issue because wouldnt that be a Uconn decision instead of an NCAA one? Lets just hope its nothing. Charlie had to sit out the first 6 games or so while they reviewed his eligibility too i remember

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing as soon as i heard about it. i also dont think its a discipline issue because wouldnt that be a Uconn decision instead of an NCAA one? Lets just hope its nothing. Charlie had to sit out the first 6 games or so while they reviewed his eligibility too i remember

If it's not academics then it's almost certainly related to amateurism. Could be something as minor as the Drummond shoe commercial thing, or could be more serious.

Reaction Score
The NCAA really needs to **** off.

When you've already cleared a player, but then decide to review his eligibility the day of the team's first exhibition game, you really are an incompetent organization that needs to be done away with. This isn't as bad as that story about the Providence kid (at least no yet), but it's ridiculous nonetheless.

If they decide to review a kid's eligibility now, it is because of new information they've received. Nothing to do with incompetence. (The NCAA's regulations, btw, are all requested and signed off on by its member schools. They don't make them up on their own.

Reaction Score
This f'in sucks. It would be nice to go one dam week without something negative like this popping up. What's it going to be next week? I thought tonight was the night where we would FINALLY get to see our full team on display against somebody and now we get more of this shet from the NCAA. Whether it's their fault or not, I'm way tired of this crap, and I wish this program could just have ONE normal off-season where we aren't recieving all this negative press.

Reaction Score
If they decide to review a kid's eligibility now, it is because of new information they've received. Nothing to do with incompetence. (The NCAA's regulations, btw, are all requested and signed off on by its member schools. They don't make them up on their own.

Then it could be another school tipped them off to something they found out. And it happened shortly before the season began.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
is there a reason why the NCAA waited till the last possible second to figure out if he was eligible or not?
Is there a reason why this routinely happens to us? Remember Charlie V.?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Didn't West Virginia sign another guard instead of Boatright? I wonder if there was an issue that they became aware of that led them to go in another direction? Also, you have to wonder if West Virginia waited until now to report it to mess with UCONN either from a competitive standpoint or because of the Big East-Big 12 flap. It's all speculation but until we have specifics all we have is gossip. If I had to guess I would say it may be an issue with his handlers and extra benefits or something but who knows. When I saw he may have a connection to Derek Rose's brother that caused me concern. I sure hope it's nothing.
Is there a reason why this routinely happens to us? Remember Charlie V.?

Reaction Score
Didn't West Virginia sign another guard instead of Boatright? I wonder if there was an issue that they became aware of that led them to go in another direction? Also, you have to wonder if West Virginia waited until now to report it to mess with UCONN either from a competitive standpoint or because of the Big East-Big 12 flap. It's all speculation but until we have specifics all we have is gossip. If I had to guess I would say it may be an issue with his handlers and extra benefits or something but who knows. When I saw he may have a connection to Derek Rose's brother that caused me concern. I sure hope it's nothing.
If I remember correctly, Jabarie Hinds committed to West Virginia only about a week after Boatright did. So I doubt there was anything about Boatright that "made them go in another direction".

I think the best bet here is likely what has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Boatright was probably late at filling out some paperwork like Dyson and Beverly two years ago. They had to sit out the first exhibition game out of nowhere and were promptly cleared after they finished up the appropriate paperwork. The problem here is that with all the bad news in recent weeks, we assume the worst until we hear otherwise.

Reaction Score

West Virginia got a verbal commitment from Boatright and then another from Jabarie Hinds the next day. Boatright presumably wasn't expecting them to take another guard, which is why he backed out. It's pretty ridiculous to assume that WVU "ratted" on Boatright to the NCAA. A far more likely scenario given the scrutiny Uconn is under is that Uconn became aware of a potential issue and told the NCAA themselves.

Reaction Score
what if WVU did something wrong in recruiting him, therefore they recruited over him and then UConn picked up boatright and realized that he had been improperly recruited by WVU. So would boatright have to sit out if it is WVU fault hypotheticaly.

Reaction Score
what if WVU did something wrong in recruiting him, therefore they recruited over him and then UConn picked up boatright and realized that he had been improperly recruited by WVU. So would boatright have to sit out if it is WVU fault hypotheticaly.
In that situation, depending on what it was, Boatright could be suspended or deemed ineligible. Nothing would happen to UConn, though.

Reaction Score
If it's not academics, I wouldn't worry about this. I could simply be a clerical issue as far as not all the proper paper work submitted. If the paperwork has to do with his academics maybe the program knows his academics are in order it's just clerical and didn't want to explain it as academic related.

Think about it? If it's not related to academic eligibility what are the alternative:

1. Some sort of perceived or actual illegal benefits that need to be sorted out.
2. Some sort of behavior issue that came up or was discovered that would dictate sitting out some.
3. Some sort of clerical admissions or eligibility issue that needs to get sorted out.

I'm hoping it's #3 and is simply a matter of paper work. I doubt it's #2 which is usually a school matter, not an NCAA one. Based on similar pop-up eligibility issues in the past, it makes me wonder if it's #1 and the staff is simply taking precautions. It's better safe than sorry based on the scrutiny the program has been under the past few years.

I'm hopeful it's a small matter. If it's not, and he's not eligible for a while or the entire year, this one is going to be trouble since he is just one of 3 scholarship guards who can play the 1. Having to play Lamb at the one often and any of the non-guards at the 2 when needed could cause a lot of problems for this team.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Very often, the review is ongoing and the school just doesn't state it publicly. Then it comes down to game #1 and the process hasn't been completed yet and they are forced to make a general statement on why the kid isn't going to play. Very often, it's not a case of the school getting a call from the NCAA the day of the first game and saying "hold him out"...
This is most likely the situation and the school was hoping it would be resolved before the season began, therefore making it a nonissue. And because it wasn't resolved, we are just hearing about it.

Or it could have been a last second discovery.

Either way the NCAA is just doing their job. And no this is not confined to UConn. Other programs have problems. We just are more aware of our problems.

Hopefully this is a minor issue such as a paper work incident. I believe Ryan sent in his paper work while JH was head of the AD and there was a problem with adequate staffing to ensure that all the paper work was properly dealt with.

Reaction Score
The miraculous and 1 and only "Boatshow" is just that a traveling barrage of handlers and "made men". The kid was offered a scholarship by none other than the infamous Tim Floyd @ USC in the 8th grade (middle school). Family legacy and doing whatever for his family is paramount to this kid. His father Mike McAllister and mom Tanesha (they are separated) I'm sure are great supportive parents. Lamar Bedford and Tom Boatright are also very close to RB but it doesn't end there. Everything is a "family decision" and these decisions have been made with countless recruiters and "3rd parties" over many years.

I suspect and this is pure speculation that someone/entity tipped off the NCAA or UConn reported an infraction that was brought to their attention. It is my hope that my speculation is off and we are dealing with an issue that can be categorized as a technicality. I am RB's #1 fan and believe he will be a difference maker in UConn's ambitious plans for a repeat title run.

Improper benefits as defined by the NCAA is my guess....

Reaction Score
I just asked what was up and got crickets (nothing).

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The miraculous and 1 and only "Boatshow" is just that a traveling barrage of handlers and "made men". The kid was offered a scholarship by none other than the infamous Tim Floyd @ USC in the 8th grade (middle school). Family legacy and doing whatever for his family is paramount to this kid. His father Mike McAllister and mom Tanesha (they are separated) I'm sure are great supportive parents. Lamar Bedford and Tom Boatright are also very close to RB but it doesn't end there. Everything is a "family decision" and these decisions have been made with countless recruiters and "3rd parties" over many years.

I suspect and this is pure speculation that someone/entity tipped off the NCAA or UConn reported an infraction that was brought to their attention. It is my hope that my speculation is off and we are dealing with an issue that can be categorized as a technicality. I am RB's #1 fan and believe he will be a difference maker in UConn's ambitious plans for a repeat title run.

Improper benefits as defined by the NCAA is my guess....
Thanks for the information.

That would be a shame. It could make him ineligible. Better to catch it now than after the season started. This was the one position that the team could least afford to lose a player.

Reaction Score
The NCAA's guidelines for amateurism may as well be written in Greek. They're hard enough for schools' compliance departments to understand, so I can imagine strict adherence is nearly impossible for people who aren't paid to know all the rules. BLUEDOGHOUSE's hypothesis is the best I've read so far. I wouldn't be surprised if some obscure rule was broken and the punishment will be limited to a couple games on the bench and repayment of whatever insignificant benefit was received.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The NCAA's guidelines for amateurism may as well be written in Greek. They're hard enough for schools' compliance departments to understand, so I can imagine strict adherence is nearly impossible for people who aren't paid to know all the rules. BLUEDOGHOUSE's hypothesis is the best I've read so far. I wouldn't be surprised if some obscure rule was broken and the punishment will be limited to a couple games on the bench and repayment of whatever insignificant benefit was received.
I'll toast to that. Hope you are correct.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the information.

That would be a shame. It could make him ineligible. Better to catch it now than after the season started. This was the one position that the team could least afford to lose a player.
Fleud pure speculation of course on my part. I certainly know nothing to confirm this. As a matter of fact it is questionable whether I should have posted what I did. Thanks for the response. Boatright is my favorite UConn player and this news doesn't sit well with me. Have my fingers crossed. Have a great day.

Best Always

Reaction Score
"He's a really talkative, out-going kid -- smile, personality, all that," Calhoun said. "But sometimes with that, maybe the Coach sometimes doesn't want to hear your answer. Maybe he wants to hear nothing. I don't know all the circumstances. I've talked to the coach. I really like Ryan. I'm more concerned that he continues to work hard on his grades. He's been admitted, but he has to qualify when it's all said and done."

the staff has known the issue for a while i take it.
That has nothing to do with tonight. NOTHING. That happened in January 2011 - 10 months ago. And the current issue is "not related to academics" i.e. GRADES.

The one thing has nothing to do with the other. Link FAIL

Reaction Score
i understand that, i'm not stupid. but think about it. the staff a while back knew there was a issue, so now there a whole different issue all of a suden? prov got the answers on there players weeks ago, smae with sju and other schools. all of a suden we can't get a answer but everyone else does? if you followed his recruitment at all you know that we are his 3rd school and out of nowhere wvu decided to add a 2nd pg(hinds saga) forcing him out the door. if you did searches at the time at all, many fan boards were buzzing about him and some baggage he brought with him. maybe the best was the Illinois bball boards who knew all about him and why they never sniffed him. enough tho. i like him and can't wait to watch him play in a husky uni.
if your uconn right now, whats the last thing in the whole entire world that you may not want to talk about if a player has issues with the ncaa? i'll take a guess at it. I bet he has some classes that don't add up from hs to a ged or something like that. not that he has bad grades, but he has requirment issues still after summer school. just a guess from me. whats yours instead of just being mad about the situation?
Speculate with crap pulled straight out of your own ass much ?

Reaction Score
Then it could be another school tipped them off to something they found out. And it happened shortly before the season began.
You could also read that as something they "held onto until now". Frankly, I wouldn't put it past some people to flat out make things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom