No Big Red? | The Boneyard

No Big Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't live in CT anymore so I don't get to XL/Gampel, but in the 3 NYC games this season there hasn't been any Big Red sightings. It's extremely weird to go on a run, opposing team time out and everyone stands up and looks for Big Reds chant and nothing happens.

Has he been at the home games? The guy is a legend of UConn basketball, really hoping all is well with him. I'm not even kidding when I say that I think he deserves some form of recognition on the husky of honor at Gampel.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
He's been at both of the Gampel games I went to.

Maybe he just couldn't make it to NYC

Reaction Score
He was at the Yale game at the XL.

As far as not being at MSG. It's not like the school pays his way.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just to clarify what I thought was fairly obvious, I'm not being critical at all. Just making sure everything was alright.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If memory serves, this year is Big Red's 30th anniversary as a UConn ticket holder.

Why hasn't UConn ever honored him? We have so few organic traditions, it just seems stupid the only thing we have is " it's big red time" at the civic center video board.

It's a small pet peeve of mine. Others have mentioned maybe having Blue White Kid lead the UCONN chant at football games.

IDK, doesn't seem like it would be a big deal on UConn's end to show some love to the most recognizable UConn basketball fan in history.

Reaction Score
Our fans wears rainbow colors to games. We have a very long way to go.

Reaction Score
I was a student when he started the U-C-O-N-N against NC state. Chris corchiani and Rodney Monroe. It was a loss, but the legend of big red was started

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He's a great guy as well. Always holds the doors at the XL for people getting food and always had interesting conversations with him.

Reaction Score
Maybe he went to Costa Rica and is hanging out with the ticas? I mean just save it all for the Ville and come back relaxed and refreshed with a big Kool-Aide smile. Reddy could be doing the U-C-O-N-N chant from Jaco Beach at the Beattle Bar.

Ya neva know...:)

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
I don't know. I think it's a weird spot for the university.

What do you know about him other than he gets up a few times a game and does a certain cheer? Not sure, if I'm uconn, that I'm associating with him or even acknowledging him officially. He has a certain "star" status among all of us and I probably feel like that's enough.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't UConn ever honored him? We have so few organic traditions, it just seems stupid the only thing we have is " it's big red time" at the civic center video board.

It's a small pet peeve of mine. Others have mentioned maybe having Blue White Kid lead the UCONN chant at football games.

IDK, doesn't seem like it would be a big deal on UConn's end to show some love to the most recognizable UConn basketball fan in history.
Years ago he was given a sweatshirt or something on the floor at Gampel.

Reaction Score

What do you know about him other than he gets up a few times a game and does a certain cheer? Not sure, if I'm uconn, that I'm associating with him or even acknowledging him officially. He has a certain "star" status among all of us and I probably feel like that's enough.
I dont think I agree with this. I dont know him personally but id be willing to bet that hes no convicted felon or anything like that so theres no reason for the university to distance itself from him. Like ConnHuskBask pointed out, it seems that we have few of those deep rooted game day traditions compared to some other schools, and I think it would be a nice touch to acknowledge him somehow. Lets put it this way...If Notre Dame had a fan that led a cheer at every football game over the last 30 years, he would be known world wide and shown on TV every game.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Deepster said:

Can we all just agree that Tom Emery is an outstanding human being?

Reaction Score
I dont think I agree with this. I dont know him personally but id be willing to bet that hes no convicted felon or anything like that so theres no reason for the university to distance itself from him. Like ConnHuskBask pointed out, it seems that we have few of those deep rooted game day traditions compared to some other schools, and I think it would be a nice touch to acknowledge him somehow. Lets put it this way...If Notre Dame had a fan that led a cheer at every football game over the last 30 years, he would be known world wide and shown on TV every game.

So, acknowledge him how?

He's known everywhere he goes. He gets hooked up for tickets and transportation from various non-UConn sources. Probably gets his share of a free pint or two after any game. He gets a lot of perks and privileges that other fans who've gone to the same games over the years don't get. What else do you want? How do I feel if I'm a season ticket holder who's donated a ton of cash over the years and the school gives something over me? He deserves it? How?

Reaction Score
So, acknowledge him how?

He's known everywhere he goes. He gets hooked up for tickets and transportation from various non-UConn sources. Probably gets his share of a free pint or two after any game. He gets a lot of perks and privileges that other fans who've gone to the same games over the years don't get. What else do you want? How do I feel if I'm a season ticket holder who's donated a ton of cash over the years and the school gives something over me? He deserves it? How?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Agree 100%.

Big Red and Blue-White Kid should become recipients of some nice perks from the university for their lifetime devotion to the athletics department and university fanbase (even if Dale is younger than me). I'm talking about them never having to pay for a ticket again. Their presence has become part of the event now. How many times have we seen Dale in full paint on ESPN? How many times has the opposing team had to call a timeout in the presence of a deafening "U...C...O...N...N....UConn!...UConn!...UConn!" When fans get to the level of the aforementioned, they have become part of the fabric of the team, and should be recognized as such. I hope that UConn considers doing something like that.

Hell, universities give away "honorary PhD's" all the time. Dale and Red have earned their Fan PhD's....

Reaction Score
I don't know.....do either of the Tom Emery's we know drive a cab?

http://www.newsandtribune.com/local...-company-employees-arrested-for-drug-offenses

Hopefully this Tom deleted or concealed all the incriminating evidence that could have been used against him in a court of law!!

If Tom had any co-conspirators I know a lawyer that would be willing to represent them.

If all else fails both mauconn and fluedy can throw water balloons at the various enforcement arms to secure justice for all.

ha ha ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#