NIL - Tyty Washington gets a Porsche | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL - Tyty Washington gets a Porsche

Reaction Score
That's fine, let them continue to recruit the top 10 and I'm good with the 30-70 range with the occasional local 5 stars like we'll get in 2023. This criticism just doesn't land for me
idk if you should discount it so easily. of the nine 5* that have gone to UConn four have been on a chip team. If we don't land those 4 guys then maybe we only have 1 trophy instead of 4.... No chip in '04 w/o Charlie, no chip in '11 w/o kemba and alex and no chip in '14 without deandre. who knows if we get any/all these guys now if we aren't competing w/ the bluebloods in NIL

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
That's fine, let them continue to recruit the top 10 and I'm good with the 30-70 range with the occasional local 5 stars like we'll get in 2023. This criticism just doesn't land for me
We ll have a tough time competing for 4 stars if we don’t put an emphasis on NIL. We all know how important an nba track record is for recruiting even borderline top 100 kids.

and they ll need more help finding endorsements than top 10 kids

Reaction Score
The NIL discussion is actually way more important for guys in the 30-70 range because they are not likely to make NBA money. We all know how important putting guys in the NBA is for 4-star kids even though the NBA will likely not be part of their careers regardless of where they go. It won’t take long for people to realize NIL is way more relevant for them, if they haven’t already.

Top 10 recruits are very likely to make NBA dollars that will dwarf NIL money.
the conclusion one would have to draw from this is that we are now more likely to land 5*s than a 4*s when that can't be the case

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
the conclusion one would have to draw from this is that we are now more likely to land 5*s than a 4*s when that can't be the case
I’m not saying 5 stars won’t care about it. Of course they will and will expect big deals. I’m just saying it’s actually way more relevant for 4 stars in terms of options for earning money off of basketball. Ie if we think not prioritizing NIL will not kill our chances with 4 stars I think we’re very mistaken.

Reaction Score
idk if you should discount it so easily. of the nine 5* that have gone to UConn four have been on a chip team. If we don't land those 4 guys then maybe we only have 1 trophy instead of 4.... No chip in '04 w/o Charlie, no chip in '11 w/o kemba and alex and no chip in '14 without deandre. who knows if we get any/all these guys now if we aren't competing w/ the bluebloods in NIL

We ll have a tough time competing for 4 stars if we don’t put an emphasis on NIL. We all know how important an nba track record is for recruiting even borderline top 100 kids.

and they ll need more help finding endorsements than top 10 kids
Fair enough, I disagree with both of your takes and don't think Hurley/UConn are ignoring NIL the way you both are implying. We've already gotten 2 recruits in the 30-70 range who have both talked about the NIL opportunities at UConn as a reason they committed. It's OK to say UConn will be fine recruiting wise moving forward

Reaction Score
Fair enough, I disagree with both of your takes and don't think Hurley/UConn are ignoring NIL the way you both are implying. We've already gotten 2 recruits in the 30-70 range who have both talked about the NIL opportunities at UConn as a reason they committed. It's OK to say UConn will be fine recruiting wise moving forward
I agree it might be a reason, but I don't think it will be a major reason why recruits will commit to UConn over another school. Mostly because it's not what Hurley is trying to sell.

Can you post Karaban's and Clingan's quotes where they talked about NIL? I can't remember either mentioning it but I could be wrong. I just spent a few minutes going through all the articles on each committing and couldn't find anything on NIL. Maybe in an audio or video interview?

Here's a quote from Karaban after he committed. Straight out of the Hurley playbook.

“UConn was the spot just because my relationship with coach [Dan] Hurley and everyone was just amazing,” Karaban told ESPN. “They felt like forever-type of people. The opportunity I have there, the way they want to use me, staying home and playing for a historic program was so hard for me to pass up. The style of play they want to use me in, the way they develop and get their guys to become pros, like they just did with [2021 No. 11 overall draft pick] James Bouknight.”

A couple quotes from Clingan after he committed. Both sound like Hurley type kids.

“My relationship with that staff was the best of any of the schools I was visiting or being recruited by,” Clingan, the 7-foot-1, 265-pound center from Bristol Central High, told Hearst Connecticut Media on Saturday morning. “I feel like it felt like home, it felt right. I got along with the team very well. Coach Hurley’s bringing in a lot of good players that are gonna be around me. I see us doing good things in college.”

“I don’t want to sound cocky or anything but they told me I was their biggest target in my class. And they said if I came there, other players would follow,” Clingan said. “They also said they weren’t recruiting another big, that I was their top priority.”

Reaction Score
I agree it might be a reason, but I don't think it will be a major reason why recruits will commit to UConn over another school. Mostly because it's not what Hurley is trying to sell.

Can you post Karaban's and Clingan's quotes where they talked about NIL? I can't remember either mentioning it but I could be wrong. I just spent a few minutes going through all the articles on each committing and couldn't find anything on NIL. Maybe in an audio or video interview?

Here's a quote from Karaban after he committed. Straight out of the Hurley playbook.

“UConn was the spot just because my relationship with coach [Dan] Hurley and everyone was just amazing,” Karaban told ESPN. “They felt like forever-type of people. The opportunity I have there, the way they want to use me, staying home and playing for a historic program was so hard for me to pass up. The style of play they want to use me in, the way they develop and get their guys to become pros, like they just did with [2021 No. 11 overall draft pick] James Bouknight.”

A couple quotes from Clingan after he committed. Both sound like Hurley type kids.

“My relationship with that staff was the best of any of the schools I was visiting or being recruited by,” Clingan, the 7-foot-1, 265-pound center from Bristol Central High, told Hearst Connecticut Media on Saturday morning. “I feel like it felt like home, it felt right. I got along with the team very well. Coach Hurley’s bringing in a lot of good players that are gonna be around me. I see us doing good things in college.”

“I don’t want to sound cocky or anything but they told me I was their biggest target in my class. And they said if I came there, other players would follow,” Clingan said. “They also said they weren’t recruiting another big, that I was their top priority.”
I'll have to search, I remember there being a podcast or interview with Shawn McFarland who was close with Donovan talking about NIL opportunities with him staying close to home. Definitely not arguing that we're recruiting/getting commute from guys who fit the UConn mold, I just don't think that's mutually exclusive from NIL

I could be wrong on Karaban, can't find where that came from. Maybe it was just speculation in one of the threads here. But overall point remains, until we start actually missing on recruits I just don't understand where all this concern is coming from

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'll have to search, I remember there being a podcast or interview with Shawn McFarland who was close with Donovan talking about NIL opportunities with him staying close to home. Definitely not arguing that we're recruiting/getting commute from guys who fit the UConn mold, I just don't think that's mutually exclusive from NIL

I could be wrong on Karaban, can't find where that came from. Maybe it was just speculation in one of the threads here. But overall point remains, until we start actually missing on recruits I just don't understand where all this concern is coming from
My only real concern is not recruiting a kid we thought would fit perfectly here because of his NIL priorities. There shouldn't be anything wrong with a kids first question being about that imo.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
My only real concern is not recruiting a kid we thought would fit perfectly here because of his NIL priorities. There shouldn't be anything wrong with a kids first question being about that imo.
I think it comes down to the bigger picture is what Hurley was saying. These kids that are 1 and done will likely make more in their NBA signing bonus and initial endorsements at the next level than they ever will through NIL in college. IMO this is for the 4 year guys who go to a big school but have no significant prospects of playing at the next level. Better to may hay while the sun shines. Money while you name is hot. Vital types stand to benefit the most.

Reaction Score
But overall point remains, until we start actually missing on recruits I just don't understand where all this concern is coming from
agreed but that time is now. we need a 5* in '23 and apparently didn't get close enough to wilcher to even sniff his jockstrap !

Reaction Score
agreed but that time is now. we need a 5* in '23 and apparently didn't get close enough to wilcher to even sniff his jockstrap !
Wilcher wanted UNC and chose them right away on his visit. It was his first official visit after Nebraska. So Kansas, Auburn, and Oregon also didn't even sniff his jockstrap? Must mean that UConn and all those schools don't take NIL seriously.

Reaction Score
I was holding out hope but the talk for a long time was he wasn't coming, and that's definitely clear now that he committed about 8 seconds after his UNC visit. Definitely agree we need to close on one of these 5* 23 recruits though, we're in on a ton so I expect it to happen

Reaction Score
Wilcher wanted UNC and chose them right away on his visit. It was his first official visit after Nebraska. So Kansas, Auburn, and Oregon also didn't even sniff his jockstrap? Must mean that UConn and all those schools don't take NIL seriously.
i doubt we'll actually be able to attribute a recruiting miss to NIL considerations if/when it happens. wilcher didn't mention it in his SI article, but openly focusing on that stuff over everything else is not a good look to begin with. there are gonna be a few exceptions e.g. kamari lands.

but if we don't land a 5* in '23 it's something people will assume was a deciding factor in hindsight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JC would probably be having a cerebral hemorrhage over NIL.

Imagine if the first question on a kid's official visit is, "I saw TyTy got a Porsche at UK. What can you promise me?"

Reaction Score
Amen. NIL is short term and DH is stressing long term.

He'll deal with NIL because it's here, but his focus is on his players' lives for the decades after they leave UConn.

The guest speakers he's brought in and the presentations being made to the players appeal to parents too. They want their kids to succeed beyond the basketball court and he's getting them ready not just for the few years they might play professionally, but for their entire lives.

DH's biggest hurdle will be short term thinking. Use of a car for a year is nothing compared to the extra money Rip made over his career. He took JC's advice when he told him the big money is in the second contract.

How does RIP's career path compare to Gabriel or Diallo?

Karaban's quote says it all: “UConn was the spot just because my relationship with coach [Dan] Hurley and everyone was just amazing,” Karaban told ESPN.They felt like forever-type of people.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmmm. This is interesting. As a CPA and confirmed tax nerd, I wonder how the IRS would view this arrangement? For example, if the dealership doesn't outright compensate him WITH a Porsche, but with UNRESTRICTED USE of a Porsche, is that constructively equivalent to effectively giving him the car and would he incur tax on the entire automobile value - in this case probably approaching six figures. Or alternatively is there some way to construct an argument that 'Hey, listen, IRS, he only had use of the automobile during X hours/Y days per week, the tax bill is substantially smaller than you think, go away please.'

This is the side of the deals where people win cars on game shows that very rarely gets examined. Like, 'Hey, good news, you won the Price is Right Showcase Showdown, here are the keys to your new (car XYZ).' And what they don't tell you is that the IRS will impute the value to you as income, the state will probably do the same AND whack you with sales tax and then there's the whole property tax issue dependent upon where you're living......all from a cashless (to you) transaction.

Were I TyTy, I'd say, 'Yes yes yes a Porsche is undeniably cool and an unthinkable luxury for most 18 year olds, but if it's all the same to you I'd rather appear in a commercial or something and get compensated with Good Old Cash Money, or crypto if you handle that.'

This is good stuff. But like I said I'm a tax nerd.
Right to drive is the lease value of the car. It's still a decent chunk of taxable income but significantly less than the $80K of MSRP.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
JC probably would’ve replied “.... not a dime..”
... but Ray Allen is a millionaire, Rip Hamilton is millionaire, Kemba Walker is a millionaire. Decide whether you want a nice ride for for a couple of years or be set for your whole life... then come back and see me.

Reaction Score
Waiting to see the first NIL from Snoop Dogg's cannabis line. Better for the schools to just pay the kids than this NIL craziness.

Reaction Score
Waiting to see the first NIL from Snoop Dogg's cannabis line. Better for the schools to just pay the kids than this NIL craziness.
Won't be at UConn. I wonder if every school has these kind of rules.

Under the policy, Huskies athletes will not be allowed to endorse products related to alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, controlled substances, gambling or sexual content, nor those that conflict with university sponsorships. For example, UConn’s relationship with Coca Cola likely means athletes will not allowed to endorse Pepsi, and the school’s relationship with Nike means athletes cannot endorse Adidas.

Reaction Score
Won't be at UConn. I wonder if every school has these kind of rules.

Under the policy, Huskies athletes will not be allowed to endorse products related to alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, controlled substances, gambling or sexual content, nor those that conflict with university sponsorships. For example, UConn’s relationship with Coca Cola likely means athletes will not allowed to endorse Pepsi, and the school’s relationship with Nike means athletes cannot endorse Adidas.

I recently did an anonymous survey which appeared to be from the NCAA. They were asking what products and services should be allowed for NIL, whether there should be a dollar limit, whether high school athletes should be allowed NIL, who should regulate NIL (schools, states, Congress, the NCAA) and whether NIL gives some schools an unfair advantage (my answer was a resounding YES). Clearly, the NIL discussion is just starting.

Reaction Score

Exhibit A of how this NIL will lead to boosters paying recruits hundreds of thousands or millions to go to their school. NFT's are the easiest money laundering/hiding scheme ever now. P4 boosters have unlimited pockets and are not afraid to spend their last dollar to help their teams win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom