NIL - Tyty Washington gets a Porsche | The Boneyard

NIL - Tyty Washington gets a Porsche

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Hold on to your hats kids. College Bball is about to get wild. I really hope DH changes his stance (or that it was just how he decided to address it with the media) because if we don’t have a strong money making NIL machine for kids, we won’t be getting top talent. …guessing maybe the Porsche dealership in Omaha wasn’t as interested…

Reaction Score
What do you mean you hope DH changes his stance? I don’t remember him ever saying that he’s not allowing our players to go find their own deals.

That being said, do we have any alumni that own a luxury car dealership…? Lol

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
What do you mean you hope DH changes his stance? I don’t remember him ever saying that he’s not allowing our players to go find their own deals.

That being said, do we have any alumni that own a luxury car dealership…? Lol
He said in one of his interviews something along the kind of kids should pursue them but they aren’t going to focus on helping them because their role is basketball.

Reaction Score
He said in one of his interviews something along the kind of kids should pursue them but they aren’t going to focus on helping them because their role is basketball.
I didn't think he said that at all. He said that they were working on having a system in place to offer guidance and advice to the players regarding NIL. Meaning, the coaches are not becoming business advisors or management consultants. UConn will have others for that work.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I didn't think he said that at all. He said that they were working on having a system in place to offer guidance and advice to the players regarding NIL. Meaning, the coaches are not becoming business advisors or management consultants. UConn will have others for that work.
You’re right. They did hire a consulting firm. It’s possible his comment was not thought through or anything heavy, but I truly believe you need to having your NIL approach as part of your recruiting lead. Let’s be real, playing college bb at this level is a job. Compensation is going to be a major part of almost anyone’s decision.

Reaction Score
You’re right. They did hire a consulting firm. It’s possible his comment was not thought through or anything heavy, but I truly believe you need to having your NIL approach as part of your recruiting lead. Let’s be real, playing college bb at this level is a job. Compensation is going to be a major part of almost anyone’s decision.
I got the impression they understood that. He has said before that the small state and loyal fanbase should offer unique NIL opportunities. I took that to mean that everyone in CT knows UConn and its players, so advertising spots should be a no brainer for UConn players. We are also very fortunate to have Paige Bueckers at UConn. She's an NIL goldmine, so people around her should learn a lot about how all of this works.

Reaction Score
Where is this idea that UConn isn't going to compete on NIL deals coming from?
Greenberg also asked the coaches about the new ability for athletes to make money on the use of their name, image and likeness.

“If NIL is the first question they want to ask in recruitment, they’re not coming to play for me,” Hurley said.

“Our recruiting approach is, we’re going to develop you as a player so you can have a long career professionally and make far more money as a player playing professionally beyond here. Kids making a decision based on where they can make a little bit of NIL money as opposed to, where can I go to develop for the next 50 years of my life, has clouded recruitment and in that way is bad for kids because they’re making bad decisions.”

Reaction Score
Greenberg also asked the coaches about the new ability for athletes to make money on the use of their name, image and likeness.

“If NIL is the first question they want to ask in recruitment, they’re not coming to play for me,” Hurley said.

“Our recruiting approach is, we’re going to develop you as a player so you can have a long career professionally and make far more money as a player playing professionally beyond here. Kids making a decision based on where they can make a little bit of NIL money as opposed to, where can I go to develop for the next 50 years of my life, has clouded recruitment and in that way is bad for kids because they’re making bad decisions.”

Yeah I have an entirely different read on that quote than UConn isn't going to participate in the NIL game. I think that's clear from the fact that multiple players have NIL deals, UConn has a contract with OpenDorse, and has hired people who's sole responsibility is NIL. Not offering millions up front like Kentucky and Duke =\= not competing in NIL

Reaction Score
Coach O's trying to bang pregnant chicks married to LSU administrators at gas stations. Bobby Petrino crashes his motorcycle with the college chick he was banging on the side on the back. It's not like coaches are paragons of virtue and impulse control.

Our own coach is a certified psychopath. I'm shocked he hasn't had an aneurysm.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. This is interesting. As a CPA and confirmed tax nerd, I wonder how the IRS would view this arrangement? For example, if the dealership doesn't outright compensate him WITH a Porsche, but with UNRESTRICTED USE of a Porsche, is that constructively equivalent to effectively giving him the car and would he incur tax on the entire automobile value - in this case probably approaching six figures. Or alternatively is there some way to construct an argument that 'Hey, listen, IRS, he only had use of the automobile during X hours/Y days per week, the tax bill is substantially smaller than you think, go away please.'

This is the side of the deals where people win cars on game shows that very rarely gets examined. Like, 'Hey, good news, you won the Price is Right Showcase Showdown, here are the keys to your new (car XYZ).' And what they don't tell you is that the IRS will impute the value to you as income, the state will probably do the same AND whack you with sales tax and then there's the whole property tax issue dependent upon where you're living......all from a cashless (to you) transaction.

Were I TyTy, I'd say, 'Yes yes yes a Porsche is undeniably cool and an unthinkable luxury for most 18 year olds, but if it's all the same to you I'd rather appear in a commercial or something and get compensated with Good Old Cash Money, or crypto if you handle that.'

This is good stuff. But like I said I'm a tax nerd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah I have an entirely different read on that quote than UConn isn't going to participate in the NIL game. I think that's clear from the fact that multiple players have NIL deals, UConn has a contract with OpenDorse, and has hired people who's sole responsibility is NIL. Not offering millions up front like Kentucky and Duke =\= not competing in NIL
Yes, of course, the school already said they will be helping their student athletes with endorsement deals. But other schools are making it a big part of their recruiting pitch and Hurley is telling everyone he's not doing that. I thought that is what you were talking about.

Reaction Score
Yes, of course, the school already said they will be helping their student athletes with endorsement deals. But other schools are making it a big part of their recruiting pitch and Hurley is telling everyone he's not doing that. I thought that is what you were talking about.
He's saying he's not making it the #1 focus of the recruiting pitch, but we already know it's a part of the pitch because Donovan Clingan and Alex Karaban have both talked about it after committing.

I guess it's really semantics but my point is I don't really care if NIL is the 1st thing mentioned by Kentucky or the 4th thing mentioned by UConn. As long as UConn continues to use it in their pitch I'm good and I think people are really stretching to find complaints to make

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He's saying he's not making it the #1 focus of the recruiting pitch, but we already know it's a part of the pitch because Donovan Clingan and Alex Karaban have both talked about it after committing.

I guess it's really semantics but my point is I don't really care if NIL is the 1st thing mentioned by Kentucky or the 4th thing mentioned by UConn. As long as UConn continues to use it in their pitch I'm good and I think people are really stretching to find complaints to make
He might’ve meant that but what he says in the quote is if you’re basing a significant part of your decision on NIL money then you’re not a good fit here.

you’re talking about kids who are uniquely talented, the vast majority of which will have their best opportunity to monetize any of that talent and work while in college.

it should be a major factor for all of them

Reaction Score

I love Hurley but this reminds me so much of the cringe recruiters on LinkedIn dumping on candidates who care about how much a prospective job pays. Kids are going to go where they're fairly valued and compensated, doesn't matter if its their first priority or 10th.

Reaction Score
Not offering millions up front like Kentucky and Duke =\= not competing in NIL
yes but to be fair it does mean we will not be competing w/ the likes of Kentucky and Duke for 5*s. idk if we get the rudy gays and charlie v's now.

Reaction Score
yes but to be fair it does mean we will not be competing w/ the likes of Kentucky and Duke for 5*s. idk if we get the rudy gays and charlie v's now.
That's fine, let them continue to recruit the top 10 and I'm good with the 30-70 range with the occasional local 5 stars like we'll get in 2023. This criticism just doesn't land for me

Reaction Score

I'm sure Hurley does mention it when he is recruiting kids or else UConn would have never hired Opendorse to assist their student athletes with NIL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom