NIL officially a go at UConn (July 12) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NIL officially a go at UConn (July 12)

W

wolfe613

Teams win titles. There are lots of players with multiple titles we don't consider legends.. Besides being a winning teams legends make great plays at big moments in big games.
like a posted said before if the 2 biggest games are vs a rebuilding Tenn and a South Carolina team who has 1 ntl title then the standards for big moments for a Uconn game have been dropped. Big moment woulda been winning vs Arz and winning the ntl title

Reaction Score
Individual awards and NCs highlight a players career. But they don't necessarily make the player a legend. People make a player a legend. Paige was something of a legend before she even got to UCONN. What she has done so far at UCONN merely reinforces that. You might not agree with that, but about 6 months from now explain to me Paige's NIL $$$.

W

wolfe613

Individual awards and NCs highlight a players career. But they don't necessarily make the player a legend. People make a player a legend. Paige was something of a legend before she even got to UCONN. What she has done so far at UCONN merely reinforces that. You might not agree with that, but about 6 months from now explain to me Paige's NIL $$$.
the Cavinder twins will make more money than any wcbb player, they didn't even win their conference title game. Nil is not about how good you are in the sport, it's about social media following

Reaction Score
Ok. Social media legend.

W

wolfe613

Ok. Social media legend.
I think ppl are gonna come to a realization that nationwide Uconn is just not the same brand as others view it. I live in the West coast and the brands that nationally get talken about are Ohio State, Bama, Clemson, Texas, Miami, USC. Obviously football plays a big role but if we look at just Wbb I think Stanford is gonna be the biggest draw due to the opportunities Silicon Valley will provide.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
the Cavinder twins will make more money than any wcbb player, they didn't even win their conference title game. Nil is not about how good you are in the sport, it's about social media following
Perhaps out on the West Coast and on social media. But what I am looking for is the handful of college athletes that are able to transcend the limitations of social media to reach a wider demographic. I and millions of Americans had never even heard of the Cavinder twins until a few days ago. If they can make money off of their NIL, that’s great. However, they better do it quickly because they may be a fad, doomed to fade from the scene once the next fad replaces them.

With the Olympics fast approaching, Simone Biles commercials on tv are ubiquitous. Biles earns an estimated $6 million annually from her NIL. She won her first world championship 8 years ago and continues to dominate international gymnastics. Olympic gymnastics is the most highly watched of all Olympic sports, particularly by older women who often control household spending.

There will be top college football and basketball players, managed by shrewd agents, who will roll out national ad campaigns, primarily on tv, which will coincide with their respective seasons. These athletes won’t be paid by their number of Instagram followers. They will sign multi-year, million $ endorsement deals that will target diverse and older sports fans that never visited Instagram or Twitter in their lives.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think ppl are gonna come to a realization that nationwide Uconn is just not the same brand as others view it. I live in the West coast and the brands that nationally get talken about are Ohio State, Bama, Clemson, Texas, Miami, USC. Obviously football plays a big role but if we look at just Wbb I think Stanford is gonna be the biggest draw due to the opportunities Silicon Valley will provide.
USC Trojans! Fight Fight Fight!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Comparing WBB to CFB is apples to oranges just about anywhere in the country. But when it comes to WBB, the last two time UConn ventured out West, the Huskies played UCLA in 2017 & Cal in 2018 in front of crowds of 9,000+ & 10,000+ respectively, both of which were more than 3 times the average home attendance for each school.

As Geno is fond of saying, everyone wants to see the circus when it comes to town.

Reaction Score
Yep. UConn is a mid-major school with a good women's basketball team - that's our brand. We're great at a sport no one cares about.

W

wolfe613

We care about it!
I do as well but I also have to be realistic. The ncaa women's tournament lost 2.5 million dollars compared to the men's who made 865 million. I'm not sure why but if I guessed it's just the margin of talent is so unbalanced you get a lot of blowouts and people that don't see it as a level playing field

W

wolfe613

Yep. UConn is a mid-major school with a good women's basketball team - that's our brand. We're great at a sport no one cares about.
yea the big east just is not what it used to be. Syracuse and Louisville saw the ship sinking and went to the Acc, not sure why Uconn was not invited

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom