NIL officially a go at UConn (July 12) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL officially a go at UConn (July 12)

Reaction Score
So, who gets the first gig. I’m sticking with Nika’s Sneakers but Bueckers eats Smuckers and Fudds Duds could beat her out.
Colleges that have shoe & uni deals are obliged to have all of their players wear the contracted equipment. So: no special shoe deals.
Azzi already has a T-shirt, and I suspect that manufacturing a clothing line may be already in place. Paige will have a choice of whatever way she wants to go. Clothes seem possible, definitely YouTube promos (Slim has a bit under a million followers).
But the really Big Bucks will not be tapped until the NCAA and member schools agree to share TV revenue. How far down the road that huge haul lies is unknown. It will undoubtedly wind up in the courts.
Keep in mind that the NIL gain is relatively tiny, and so far the NCAA isn't paying the athletes a cent. Yet.

Reaction Score
My ignorance here is vast,,,please eliminate a bit of it.

Does this mean that as of July 12:

Paige...for example...can sign a contract with a local business or a nation-wide one [say Nike]
for their use of her name/image/likeness for any amount of money/short term/long term...whatever is pleasing both to her and the company? She can do this with one company or more than one...correct?

Can she hire an attorney or agent to work out the details of such agreements?

Just speculating here: Paige got tons of publicity/sizzle last season...TV seems to love her.

Just from that one big-time company are we talking :
Low 5 figures/high five figures/low 6/high 6...per year?

I'm really not talking about just Paige....but all notable college athletes.
Since athletic scholarships [worth maybe 50Gs] are not based on family income but the athletic skills of the daughter or son, I am assuming any NIL deal by anybody would not make the player unable to accept a college scholarship offer...correct or no?
Yes

Reaction Score
The answer to all your questions is yes. For 80-90% of college athletes, NIL will not be about big money, perhaps a few thousand dollars. For the very top players like Paige, we are in uncharted territory. It would not surprise me if Nike or some other shoe company signs her to a multi-year, multi-million $ contract.

The two major restrictions on NIL are that there cannot be any type of “Pay to Play” arrangement and NIL cannot be used as a recruiting inducement. Both issues will present some hair-splitting dilemmas for schools I suspect.
As I wrote elsewhere, colleges are bound by their contracts with the shoe and uni companies to have all of their players wear that equipment. The other biggie is the TV money that provides billions to the NCAA and nada to the athletes. That's the next target.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I wrote elsewhere, colleges are bound by their contracts with the shoe and uni companies to have all of their players wear that equipment. The other biggie is the TV money that provides billions to the NCAA and nada to the athletes. That's the next target.
Paige has to wear Nike gear when she plays for UConn, so it would be a nice fit if she also promoted Nike outside of playing for UConn. But there is absolutely no reason why that shoe contract can’t be with Puma or Addidas.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Huh? Explain please
Paige had her 2 most famous and national level performances (moments) against TN and SC. Those performances in my ,mind may have been the core deciding factor for many for those NPOY honors etc.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
But there is absolutely no reason why that shoe contract can’t be with Puma or Addidas.
Aside from maybe not having the same exposure for their shoes compared to if they were worn in-game on TV. Hopefully Nike signs her though so there wouldn't be a problem. Many of her shoes are already from Nike anyways, according to her mom in an interview.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige had her 2 most famous and national level performances (moments) against TN and SC. Those performances in my ,mind may have been the core deciding factor for many for those NPOY honors etc.
I’ll drill down even more. The “Bounce” elevated Paige into the national dialogue as a possible NPOY. The narrative that no freshman woman had ever won a NPOY actually worked in her favor.

Reaction Score
Im still confused. SC and TN were victims. They had absolutely nothing to do with how Paige played during the season or those games. She did what she does. I suspect your comment about them wanting a cut per se is in jest.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Im still confused. SC and TN were victims. They had absolutely nothing to do with how Paige played during the season or those games. She did what she does. I suspect your comment about them wanting a cut per se is in jest.
Yes. Jest

Reaction Score

The TV money actually comes mostly from the same advertisers who will pay players. They will adjust their advertising budgets so maybe it will mean less for the schools, and in the case of the NCAA tournaments less for the NCAA. But the pot keeps growing and I doubt that the total paid to college athletes will be more than a crump off the cake.

Reaction Score
The TV money actually comes mostly from the same advertisers who will pay players. They will adjust their advertising budgets so maybe it will mean less for the schools, and in the case of the NCAA tournaments less for the NCAA. But the pot keeps growing and I doubt that the total paid to college athletes will be more than a crump off the cake.
Agreed . Crumbs

Reaction Score
I’m registering my “Nika The Gnat” logo.
E1F01F62-4B93-48B1-8C0C-70BA66365F3D.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On the court. Off the court? Kids can wear whatever they like. Therein lies the opportunity.

Reaction Score
I’ll drill down even more. The “Bounce” elevated Paige into the national dialogue as a possible NPOY. The narrative that no freshman woman had ever won a NPOY actually worked in her favor.
Yep. That game and her performance in OT made her a legend. I often think about SC missing those 3 or 4 bunnies at the end of regulation.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice little video about Paige with Geno and Upper Level Players praising hard. Dust it off for NIL.

Geno's Last words. "For what she has done for this team to make us better, she deserves everything"

What makes Paige Bueckers such a special talent - YouTube

and I will add that there is no player in UConn History that I enjoy watching more.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Paige has to wear Nike gear when she plays for UConn, so it would be a nice fit if she also promoted Nike outside of playing for UConn. But there is absolutely no reason why that shoe contract can’t be with Puma or Addidas.
I believe that is correct as long as she does not display any UConn likeness or use the name. Still, even if she signed with a shoe company other than Nike, she would be obligated to wear the Nike shoes at any UConn game or function. It would be advantageous to sign with Nike, than all the players could wear her signature shoe. LOL

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe that is correct as long as she does not display any UConn likeness or use the name. Still, even if she signed with a shoe company other than Nike, she would be obligated to wear the Nike shoes at any UConn game or function. It would be advantageous to sign with Nike, than all the players could wear her signature shoe. LOL
I agree. But if I’m Paige’s agent, I would shop every major sports apparel company before I signed with anyone.

Reaction Score
Yep. That game and her performance in OT made her a legend. I often think about SC missing those 3 or 4 bunnies at the end of regulation.
Legend? Come on mannnnnn! Really? It’s that easy now? Legend?

Reaction Score
Yep. One play can do it. How about Bobby Thomson?
True but Paige making a shots in an out of conference game vs a team (Tennessee) that lost its glory years ago does not a legend make in my opinion. Nor does beating the chickenhawks. Now that shot in a championship game might. Maybe standards have lowered for legendary status.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
True but Paige making a shots in an out of conference game vs a team (Tennessee) that lost its glory years ago does not a legend make in my opinion. Nor does beating the chickenhawks. Now that shot in a championship game might. Maybe standards have lowered for legendary status.
No doubt that hitting “The Bounce” in a championship game would carry more weight. But it’s worth noting that the announcers calling the game immediately referred to “The Legend” and the gal’s play by play call was every bit as powerful as the Giant’s announcer’s call many years ago, excitedly repeating, “The Giants win the pennant!”

For Paige’s shot, the announcer wonderfully held onto her last word as Paige’s shot bounced high off the rim until it went through the basket. “Paige lets it flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!” What a wonderful real time call of a great shot.

I also think degree of difficulty needs to be taken into consideration. While Thomson never hit a bigger HR, he did have 264 in his career. If Paige plays basketball for another 20 years, she may never hit another shot like The Bounce. Then again, we are talking about Paige……..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom