NIL officially a go at UConn (July 12) | The Boneyard

NIL officially a go at UConn (July 12)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ugh. Anyone else feel like NIL will not end well. Still, if it is going to happen, I'm glad we are set up to allow our kids to take advantage of it.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don’t know how NIL will affect the rest of college sports, but Geno has commented that he expects UConn to benefit due to the prominence of the WBB program. Hard to argue with that take, particularly with Paige leading the way.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Doesn't the Connecticut state law allowing NIL also have to take effect before "it is a go"? As I understand that, the bill has been passed by the legislature and, as of now, is sitting Governor Lamont's desk waiting for a signature.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
My ignorance here is vast,,,please eliminate a bit of it.

Does this mean that as of July 12:

Paige...for example...can sign a contract with a local business or a nation-wide one [say Nike]
for their use of her name/image/likeness for any amount of money/short term/long term...whatever is pleasing both to her and the company? She can do this with one company or more than one...correct?

Can she hire an attorney or agent to work out the details of such agreements?

Just speculating here: Paige got tons of publicity/sizzle last season...TV seems to love her.

Just from that one big-time company are we talking :
Low 5 figures/high five figures/low 6/high 6...per year?

I'm really not talking about just Paige....but all notable college athletes.
Since athletic scholarships [worth maybe 50Gs] are not based on family income but the athletic skills of the daughter or son, I am assuming any NIL deal by anybody would not make the player unable to accept a college scholarship offer...correct or no?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still don't get that a $300,000 college education doesn't cut it anymore!!!

That being said...maybe Death Valley Days and the 20 Muhl Team can make a comeback!!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Doesn't the Connecticut state law allowing NIL also have to take effect before "it is a go"? As I understand that, the bill has been passed by the legislature and, as of now, is sitting Governor Lamont's desk waiting for a signature.
I have not seen anything definitive saying the Governor actually signed the NIL bill. At the same time, everything I read indicates that everyone expects him to do so. I notice several governors around the country are doing so today, including Gov Pritzker of IL as well as the Gov of OR.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My ignorance here is vast,,,please eliminate a bit of it.

Does this mean that as of July 12:

Paige...for example...can sign a contract with a local business or a nation-wide one [say Nike]
for their use of her name/image/likeness for any amount of money/short term/long term...whatever is pleasing both to her and the company? She can do this with one company or more than one...correct?

Can she hire an attorney or agent to work out the details of such agreements?

Just speculating here: Paige got tons of publicity/sizzle last season...TV seems to love her.

Just from that one big-time company are we talking :
Low 5 figures/high five figures/low 6/high 6...per year?

I'm really not talking about just Paige....but all notable college athletes.
Since athletic scholarships [worth maybe 50Gs] are not based on family income but the athletic skills of the daughter or son, I am assuming any NIL deal by anybody would not make the player unable to accept a college scholarship offer...correct or no?
The answer to all your questions is yes. For 80-90% of college athletes, NIL will not be about big money, perhaps a few thousand dollars. For the very top players like Paige, we are in uncharted territory. It would not surprise me if Nike or some other shoe company signs her to a multi-year, multi-million $ contract.

The two major restrictions on NIL are that there cannot be any type of “Pay to Play” arrangement and NIL cannot be used as a recruiting inducement. Both issues will present some hair-splitting dilemmas for schools I suspect.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
For a player who signs for significant money I would think the company would want his/her attention in terms of time.
During the player's off-season would seem to be appropriate. The focus of the player on her own athletic skills/teammates/courses/coaches/games/off-season workouts might be compromised by significant obligations to companies.

Can the young adult handle that? Guess an obvious answer would be that some will/some won't.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Guess SC and TN will want some cut of Paige's revenue for actively helping Paige's brand. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For a player who signs for significant money I would think the company would want his/her attention in terms of time.
During the player's off-season would seem to be appropriate. The focus of the player on her own athletic skills/teammates/courses/coaches/games/off-season workouts might be compromised by significant obligations to companies.

Can the young adult handle that? Guess an obvious answer would be that some will/some won't.
Currently Katie Ledecky and Simone Biles appear to be handling it quite well, earning an estimated $4 million & $6 million annually off of their NIL’s while preparing for the Olympics.

Reaction Score
I think the NIL effect will be really dependant on regional location. UConn has the metro NY area in it's back yard with many multi billion dollar companies. Same is true for the metro LA area schools and Silicon Valley area schools. Not too many major international companies headquarters are in the midwest or the deep south.

Reaction Score
Still don't get that a $300,000 college education doesn't cut it anymore!!!

That being said...maybe Death Valley Days and the 20 Muhl Team can make a comeback!!
Do you have any idea what this school make off the athletes? Does that 300,000 education come with a 300,000 dollar job after graduation? Many of these school recruit the players to “work” (play sports). The NIL has absolutely nothing to do with the college and everything to do with a persons right to profit from their own goods! It’s the American way!!.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Nika and Paige do an ad for those slimes that kids play with. I'm not sure if those are still a thing, though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The UConn Dairy Bar will soon announce Peach Bueckers and Azzi Fuddge.
I think your school is prevented from compensating you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom