Nil needs cap/ much more regulation | The Boneyard

Nil needs cap/ much more regulation

Reaction Score
Each college should have a capping mechanism or it’s gonna turn into a disaster area quick. The ncaa is asking for trouble without very reasonable regulation. I’m sure kids like UConn but if Bentley college offers me 1 million— why wouldn’t I think of my family first? I don’t think we can have that— make sure kids have some additional financial opportunity but if it’s a free market system— what stops a Kentucky from paying 4 million. 5 million etc. can’t be who has more. It will mess up college sports

Reaction Score
I think there is probably an upper limit for most of the public schools like UK, but I agree with your sentiment. They need some common sense regulations. But what happens if Stanford or Duke decides their endowment can spare a few bps for basketball each year...

However, I’ll also add that CT is still one of the wealthiest states in the country. Get Bleeding Blue for Good to start running basketball camps in Darien. Start playing a game in Stanford or Bridgeport every year. The $ in this state should scare schools from flyover states if we inculcate that Fairfield County fan base.

Reaction Score
Each college should have a capping mechanism or it’s gonna turn into a disaster area quick. The ncaa is asking for trouble without very reasonable regulation. I’m sure kids like UConn but if Bentley college offers me 1 million— why wouldn’t I think of my family first? I don’t think we can have that— make sure kids have some additional financial opportunity but if it’s a free market system— what stops a Kentucky from paying 4 million. 5 million etc. can’t be who has more. It will mess up college sports
Heck Harvard could be a powerhouse with alumni donations. Like happy from blue chips.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So the NCAA should make rules because kids might not choose UConn?

It’s not like our recruiting has suffered since these rules came into place. Number 3 recruiting class, Newton was a major portal guy last year.

Timberlake just got an over the moon offer from a desperate team, and good for him cashing in on his success. How can you be anything but self entitled if you don’t think he should be able to do that?

Reaction Score
So the NCAA should make rules because kids might not choose UConn?

It’s not like our recruiting has suffered since these rules came into place. Number 3 recruiting class, Newton was a major portal guy last year.

Timberlake just got an over the moon offer from a desperate team, and good for him cashing in on his success. How can you be anything but self entitled if you don’t think he should be able to do that?
Im not focused on uconn here. Im focused on college sports as a wole

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Im not focused on uconn here. Im focused on college sports as a wole
You do realize that there is no way for the NCAA to regulate NIL in any fashion, right? It would be like asking the NBA or NFL to put a cap on player endorsements. It's outside what the leagues have any control over. The money is not coming from the schools. At least not directly. If a billionaire booster wants to spend 10 or 20 million to build a team, that can (and I'm sure will) be done.

The only thing you can hope for is that people start realizing there is no return on investment and stop putting up stupid money.

Reaction Score
If Bentley or Harvard want to give a kid $1,000,000 to play basketball the kid should go there. It’s probably a terrible business decision but hey that’s not our problem.

Reaction Score
I was listening to XM sports the other day and the President of the NCAA was on and this is kind of what he had to say;

"California forced the issue by passing a state law in 2019 that basically bars the NCAA from interfering in athletes earning NIL compensation. Other states quickly followed and before long, the NCAA was facing the possibility of differing rules across the nation – a chaotic situation that many feared would lead to inequities. Laws take effect beginning Thursday in a dozen states, including Alabama, Florida and Texas, but athletes everywhere won’t have to wait for their state to take advantage."

Because each state has passed their own laws the NCAA is asking Congress to take the challenge of correcting this mess and making it a uniform law across all states.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Agree with much of this. Things are just shaking out, and I’m sure we will land in a place that works best for all. I think the NIL stuff was given a green light with less thought than it deserved, but eventually all the kinks will get ironed out. Seems like the Wild West right now, but it will get tamed.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Putting a cap on NIL will put us right back to where it was before. The big schools will still cheat and get away with it, the NCAA will do nothing to enforce it with Kansas, Duke, etc.

Honestly I don’t have a problem if a school like Duke wants to give a kid $5 million to play there. And I have no problem if a rich alum from Bryant wants to offer a kid the same.

There will only be so many players who teams will spend that kind of money on, and doubt we’d be in the mix for them anyways.

In terms of UConn, I really don’t think it will hurt us. Could we lose a recruit over some insane NIL deal? Absolutely. But Hurley has prioritized a certain type of kid - usually kids with good moral compasses, who are selfless and bought into the team first approach.

Clingan & Castleare 2 recruits during the NIL period who I’m sure have been offered big bags but they are coming to / staying at UConn.

They also see the big picture with Hurley. A few years in Storrs could very likely turn into hundreds of millions in the NBA.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Clingan gets it. Guaranteed he passed up more short term for something that meant more to him. And it doesn’t make him stupid or a “failure.” We need to raise kids that value more than money. Society needs to operate with morals and values that aren’t measured by dollars. So that Wong kid from Miami got the bucks. Big Don is happier AND winning…so he’s the one that is actually winning. You can tell where I land on the political spectrum.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is a significant problem because Emmert kept his head in the sand when it started to become clear that student athletes would be able to legally earn money from their name, image and likeness and not risk eligibility by doing so.

If the NCAA got ahead of this and determined what could and what could not be considered outside of NIL earnings (basically a booster underwriting a set figure to coax a student athlete to a specific school) things wouldn't be as chaotic as what we are seeing.

Hopefully (may be a pipe dream considering this is the NCAA we are discussing) some reasonable and realistic guidelines will be put in place to add some order and logic to this mess.

Reaction Score
Nobody remember anything about college basketball except who won the last national championship. Usually that isn’t a team with a bunch of 5 star freshmen. Donors/boosters are going to give out money and in the next few years most of them will realize it’s not going to lead to championships. Some will still do it anyway, others will be more careful.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
People love to say we UConn are a blue blood but also want things like this. You can’t have it both ways. We are a scrappy program that wins. Which is a good thing, really the ideal outcome. But not having rich donors willing to drop money for zero return is a problem non blue blood programs have to contend with. Now let’s enjoy the championship and the off season and see what happens over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Get rid of the free transfer year. Make 'em sit. Not a lot of money will be available to players who aren't playing.
Exactly this.

The constant roster turnover is what will kill college basketball, not powerhouse teams who are paying the most money.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
People love to say we UConn are a blue blood but also want things like this. You can’t have it both ways. We are a scrappy program that wins. Which is a good thing, really the ideal outcome. But not having rich donors willing to drop money for zero return is a problem non blue blood programs have to contend with. Now let’s enjoy the championship and the off season and see what happens over the next few years.

Majority of the Boneyard two weeks after winning a national title:

NIL isn't fair and is ruining the sport because UConn was outgunned by Kansas for a transfer from Towson.

it's an incredibly anti competitive attitude to want to limit earnings by college kids.

Hurley and other coaches can make 4, 5, 6M a year but a kid getting a 250K bag is ruining the sport? Please lol.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Im focused on college sports as a wole
star trek GIF

Reaction Score
Why should the players have to sit out a year but coaches can lie during recruiting knowing they are going to leave?
Because the kids can get paid now. And it's killing the product?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Since you aren't entertained enough the player should have their earning potential capped while the sport get richer? That is your position? If that is your position it's fine, I want to confirm I'm not misunderstanding you.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

The coaches get paid too, and it's a lot more money.

Reaction Score
I think there are more talented kids out there than there are bags of money available. It’s not like the sky is falling loosing on Timberlake. Also, what do you think the negative impact on team chemistry is when a team ”overpays” for someone?

Reaction Score
Since you aren't entertained enough the player should have their earning potential capped while the sport get richer? That is your position? If that is your position it's fine, I want to confirm I'm not misunderstanding you.
I said they should reinstitute the 1 year transfer rule. The NCAA has control over that. I didn't say anything about capping their NIL deals. The NCAA has no control over that. I also don't have any issue with NIL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom