Nil needs cap/ much more regulation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nil needs cap/ much more regulation

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I think there is probably an upper limit for most of the public schools like UK, but I agree with your sentiment. They need some common sense regulations. But what happens if Stanford or Duke decides their endowment can spare a few bps for basketball each year...

However, I’ll also add that CT is still one of the wealthiest states in the country. Get Bleeding Blue for Good to start running basketball camps in Darien. Start playing a game in Stanford or Bridgeport every year. The $ in this state should scare schools from flyover states if we inculcate that Fairfield County fan base.
Stanford is not a town.

And where precisely in Stamford should we play? UBS trading floor?

Reaction Score
I would think most top players that are going to be in college for 1 or 2 years would balance their basketball development with NIL as they are about to make much more money by going pro and development is more important than NIL. I think the NIL bags will be more attractive to kids that have limited pro opportunities after college like Timberlake. If you can make big money in college before you start your life career why wouldn't you?

As for NIL and recruiting, I see no problem with it. The NIL group can meet with the player/parents and explain what the NIL opportunity is if he comes to the school.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Get rid of the free transfer year. Make 'em sit. Not a lot of money will be available to players who aren't playing.

THIS .

This is something the NCAA DOES have control over. The Portal and NIL becoming a thing at the same time caused 80% of this. Too much change at once. Since the NCAA has no say in NIL they should've held off on the Portal nonsense.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
THIS .

This is something the NCAA DOES have control over. The Portal and NIL becoming a thing at the same time caused 80% of this. Too much change at once. Since the NCAA has no say in NIL they should've held off on the Portal nonsense.

Making the kids sit out an entire year seems rather punitive.

With that said, I could maybe agree to this under two conditions even though I'm still a bit uncomfortable putting our "entertainment" ahead of kids making the best decision for themselves.

1) Free transfer if your coach resigns, retires or is fired.
2) Grad transfers have immediate eligibility.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Making the kids sit out an entire year seems rather punitive.

With that said, I could maybe agree to this under two conditions even though I'm still a bit uncomfortable putting our "entertainment" ahead of kids making the best decision for themselves.

1) Free transfer if your coach resigns, retires or is fired.
2) Grad transfers have immediate eligibility.
Both those are fine. And should be.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The current system is fine. Some people just need to get over the fact that kids having a little bit of power is more important than them not accepting change.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Why should any coach be able to move freely but not any player?

There aren't many coaches that move freely. They have contracts.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
There aren't many coaches that move freely. They have contracts.

That get broken yearly. Whatever rules you want to apply to players if you apply them equally to the players that makes sense.

Reaction Score
Why should the players have to sit out a year but coaches can lie during recruiting knowing they are going to leave?

I understand what you're saying, but there is really no way to legislate lying.

For instance, i'm sure the young men make promises during recruiting that aren't kept as well. During recruiting, there are lots of kids selling themselves to the schools too. Anyone beyond the top 200ish are selling themselves, just as the schools are.

The 'penalty' for the coaches is the buyout. Now we can argue about whether or not that's a real penalty given that the new school usually pays it, but it could be argued that the coach would make x amount more on the future contract, but x amount was paid for the buyout.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Each college should have a capping mechanism or it’s gonna turn into a disaster area quick. The ncaa is asking for trouble without very reasonable regulation. I’m sure kids like UConn but if Bentley college offers me 1 million— why wouldn’t I think of my family first? I don’t think we can have that— make sure kids have some additional financial opportunity but if it’s a free market system— what stops a Kentucky from paying 4 million. 5 million etc. can’t be who has more. It will mess up college sports
No caps....ever on NIL.
Do we have caps on coaching pay? Caps on University Presidents pay?
The balance to the system is the same we have with the price of ice cream - competition and market place idiocy.
I don't see how the law will allow caps. Caps exist in the pros because there are negotiated by collective bargaining.

Reaction Score
Each college should have a capping mechanism or it’s gonna turn into a disaster area quick. The ncaa is asking for trouble without very reasonable regulation. I’m sure kids like UConn but if Bentley college offers me 1 million— why wouldn’t I think of my family first? I don’t think we can have that— make sure kids have some additional financial opportunity but if it’s a free market system— what stops a Kentucky from paying 4 million. 5 million etc. can’t be who has more. It will mess up college sports

I agree with your assessment as to where NIL is taking college athletics. But, the horse is out of the barn and nobody is going to catch it. The NCAA is just about toothless with major college athletics. The SEC and BiG in particular are not taking direction from the NCAA on how to fund their programs. That NIL is going to stay out of athletic department budgets is a pipedream at best. This is heading for pay-to-play free agency. Some kids are going to make (and probably already are) a lot of money.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Capping NIL is a bad idea. Are you telling Livvy Dunne she can't make millions on Instagram? Or Paige pushing Gatorade? No. Wrong direction entirely.

The issue is not NIL, it's using NIL as a recruiting tool, as an inducement to attend. There needs to be a way to restrict that, which does not limit the athletes, it limits the institutions and the boosters. It's hard to police, but it was hard to police before. Even then the schools that are on TV more and provide exposure will do better, but that's always true.

Transfer portal is fine. It had to happen for fairness. The problem is the Covid year. It created too much very experienced player inventory in the portal. Guys like Timberlake should be out of eligibility. Once that ends things will be a little better.

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment as to where NIL is taking college athletics. But, the horse is out of the barn and nobody is going to catch it. The NCAA is just about toothless with major college athletics. The SEC and BiG in particular are not taking direction from the NCAA on how to fund their programs. That NIL is going to stay out of athletic department budgets is a pipedream at best. This is heading for pay-to-play free agency. Some kids are going to make (and probably already are) a lot of money.
Step 1. Get "Autonomy" designation from the NCAA ✔️

Step 2. Get other P5 conferences to believe this was in their best interest, ✔️ then go out and poach their best brands, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA. No wonder FSU and Clemson are big mad.

Reaction Score
Some of these posts have major “boomer shaking fist at the clouds” energy. NIL isn’t perfect but it’s better than the travesty of a system that preceded it and it’s here to stay. UConn just won a National championship and we’re probably about exactly where we were prior to NIL re: our recruiting prospects and ability to attract talent. Some of you will just complain about anything

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Capping NIL is a bad idea. Are you telling Livvy Dunne she can't make millions on Instagram? Or Paige pushing Gatorade? No. Wrong direction entirely.

The issue is not NIL, it's using NIL as a recruiting tool, as an inducement to attend. There needs to be a way to restrict that, which does not limit the athletes, it limits the institutions and the boosters. It's hard to police, but it was hard to police before. Even then the schools that are on TV more and provide exposure will do better, but that's always true.

Transfer portal is fine. It had to happen for fairness. The problem is the Covid year. It created too much very experienced player inventory in the portal. Guys like Timberlake should be out of eligibility. Once that ends things will be a little better.

How in the world could those not be intertwined?

Paige isn't getting an NIL deal with Gatorade playing at Central. It's a combination of the athlete and the platform they are on.

Why are we even so concerned with policing it in the first place?

Reaction Score

Inequality among schools is fine. Paying recruits is fine.

It works for baseball and the premiere league. It's worked in college basketball itself forever.

It's okay if the fan "experience" and expectations are different at Pepperdine and Kentucky. There's no reason to force a level playing field among 360+ schools. The top schools will be on a similar field and the cap on roster sizes (and only 5 starters and 1 ball) will diffuse enough of the top players around to make the sport the same as it's ever been.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How in the world could those not be intertwined?

Paige isn't getting an NIL deal with Gatorade playing at Central. It's a combination of the athlete and the platform they are on.

Why are we even so concerned with policing it in the first place?
Paige could have had deals in High School. She certainly could at almost any major school. But yes, it's fine that some schools will have an inherent advantage in NIL. That's no different than having a better coach, better TV exposure, better facilities or a bigger fan base. In that way NIL chances being better at school A than school B is fine and expected. Kentucky >> Western Kentucky.

The only part to change is any school providing NIL guarantees as an inducement to enroll, and the NCAA can police that, and should.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That get broken yearly. Whatever rules you want to apply to players if you apply them equally to the players that makes sense.

Rarely, not yearly. But players should get a free transfer if there is a coaching change. Let the coaches buyout be used to convince players to stay.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The only part to change is any school providing NIL guarantees as an inducement to enroll, and the NCAA can police that, and should.
Maybe. But it will never happen in an real manner. It's impossible.

Reaction Score
Stanford is not a town.

And where precisely in Stamford should we play? UBS trading floor?
That’s a very cool idea! If we can play on a battleship for the military, we could play on a trading floor for Wall Street support… I’m always impressed by the finance alums in the city. Anyone going to that thing at the Classic Car Museum in a few weeks?

But to your point, surprising that Stamford doesn’t have any large space. Bridgeport would have to do (and must be nicer than XL Center).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom