Nika Muhl to UCONN | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl to UCONN

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Have to believe he’s using the term relatively, meaning relative to European amateur competition. I doubt that she’s been playing against kids as good as Bueckers and Fudd.
I agree that the term may be used somewhat generously, but really there are no kids comparable to Bueckers and Fudd anywhere else. They are probably the 2 best players in the world under age 18.

Reaction Score
Have to believe he’s using the term relatively, meaning relative to European amateur competition. I doubt that she’s been playing against kids as good as Bueckers and Fudd.

She isn't, but then Bueckers & Fudd aren't either. :)
I wouldn't be surprised if Geno got a tip from his Croatian buddy Popovich who had seen Muhl play.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The time Geno was mic’d, Svet missed a wide open layup on a fast break. That when he [in]famously said,”That’s it, no more damned Europeans” for everyone to hear. That’s why we think of Svet as European. That’s also why Geno won’t wear a mic anymore

Svet is a European. She's from St. Petersburg (f/k/a Leningrad) in western Russia, which is considered part of the European continent. Any place in Russia west of the Ural Mountains is part of Europe.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Probably I should drift back off and bring closure to my little game.

The other two schools I was thinking are The Pennsylvania State University and The Johns Hopkins University. As cited near the beginning of this thread, people often include the "the" and pronounce it "thee" for emphasis. I think it's done by non-OSU people as a light-hearted mocking of the name. OSU people might say it in the spirit of distinguishing themselves from other, peer schools, or as the school in Ohio (implication being the Ohio is a superior state). All in good fun as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think I've ever heard Penn State adopt that mindset but maybe they do. I've heard some academic types refer to JHU in a way similar to OSU, only from the academic prestige point of view. It is, after all, a highly regarded school.

And there you have it.

The American University and The College of William and Mary are two others.

Most flagship state universities and many non-flagship ones have official names starting with the word "The", as in "The University of ______________". Two notable exceptions are Indiana University and West Virginia University.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You can read about Nika's kid sister Hana's MVP performance at the WABA U17 champs here:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom