Nika Muhl is Fun to Watch | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl is Fun to Watch

Reaction Score
I expect that when Paige and Caroline Ducharme return, Paige will be the starting point guard. Geno, and the girls said she is their leader.

Lets be more positive about our team and the player
Sorry I did this too late last night.. I meant Nika would be the starting Point guard

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry I did this too late last night.. I meant Nika would be the starting Point guard
So UCONN is going to have 2 starting PGs?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Nika gets plenty of respect. I fully agree that Nika is a valuable contributor to this team. I also fully agree that a players' full value to the team cannot be measure by only looking at stats. Since the stats are a reflection of what really happened during the game how can that be considered bashing? This is what I mean by critique of Nika seems to hit differently: Nika had a scoreless 40 minute game yesterday is that any different than pointing out that Liv had a 1 point game against Arizona or that Dorka had a 1 rebound game against Villanova in 20 minutes? :DIs Hungary not part of Europe anymore?
I do not disagree with your assessment of Nika. You have an opinion and post information to back up what you are saying. I did not accuse you of "Stat bashing". And I have no idea what the heck Hungary being a part of Europe has to do with anything I have ever said. You seem to be a good guy, you have knowledge of the sport, and obviously follow it closely. Please do not take every response in a thread in which you posted as a personal affront. This subject has turned into much more trouble than it deserves. Go Huskies, one and all.

Reaction Score
Game is on...I was referring to after the game hiatus

Holy Cross dudes: ever seen Jack [The Shot] Foley play? Saw him in a reasonably close win over my alma mater in person. He could..well...really shoot!
aka [No D]

Reaction Score
Nika will always be that player on your team that other team's players hate, but all the players on your team would kill for. She is the intangibles!!! She is heart and hustle. She'll eventually get a serviceable outside shot, but you can't teach grit and effort. You either have it or you don't. Nika has it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Kia had a game where she went something like 0 for 10 in the AAC, she came of the floor tearing off her tape and was crying. I remember Geno going over to talk to her about the good things that she did and not to get upset that she didn't score.
Yes, that came instantly to mind. Maybe she didn't make the 30 minute criterion.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree. For many fans, I'm one of them, there's a personal connection that runs a little deeper with Nika than some of the other players. It could have to do with coming over from Europe.

Years ago I was at Gampel when a frustrated (angry) Geno called time out. After the time out Svet headed back onto the court. Geno grabbed her by the elbow and pulled her towards the bench. I thought 10,000 babushkas were going to rush the court and tear Geno limb from limb. Geno came real close to buying the farm :) The personal connection with Svet was also very deep. Again a European.
One more thing about Svet - Geno said even his mother scolded him for yelling at “that nice young girl”.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I do not disagree with your assessment of Nika. You have an opinion and post information to back up what you are saying. I did not accuse you of "Stat bashing". And I have no idea what the heck Hungary being a part of Europe has to do with anything I have ever said. You seem to be a good guy, you have knowledge of the sport, and obviously follow it closely. Please do not take every response in a thread in which you posted as a personal affront. This subject has turned into much more trouble than it deserves. Go Huskies, one and all.
Definitely. I need a beer now. Is it noon somewhere in the world?

Reaction Score
Every year I pick an underdog freshman to follow during her first year as a Husky. Last year it was Nika. She came all the way overseas to the best program in the country, side by side with the best freshman player we've seen in years, and she did not flinch a bit. Whatever you may think about her basketball skills, there is one undeniable fact about this young lady; she loves to play basketball, and she's a lot of fun to watch. Here's to Nika playing another game today like the last one she played.

View attachment 73281
Love her game. And the Cousy reference. And pardon me if my wish list includes her adding jump shots and floaters to her repertoire.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My original intent for starting this thread was to foment more appreciation for Nika's zest for the game, and in particular how much fun her personality on the court is to watch. I think most of us know "personalities don't win games", basketball skills do. When these player debates get out of hand, it seems to be more about winning the argument, and less about the player and who they are as individuals. We all lose out when this happens.
I'll drink to that.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Definitely. I need a beer now. Is it noon somewhere in the world?
My favorite line from Cheers: Carla had just bought a house and Norm and Cliff were over just after she'd moved in. She says, "This occasion calls for a beer." Norm says (quoting from memory), "Yeah, most occasions do."

John Bigboote, sipping on a homemade raspberry wheat.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
:D.
What Is Wrong With You Season 4 GIF by The Office
Note the word opinion. PS I think my " opinion " of Nika on the team matches the coaching staffs and her teammates.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Note the word opinion. PS I think my " opinion " of Nika on the team matches the coaching staffs and her teammates.
PS Nika was in the game, she played more than half of it.

Reaction Score
it's not bashing when you see what is in front of you. Other teams have dared her to take open 3's and she doesn't take the shots, that basically puts your offense at 5 on 4 when the other team knows they don't respect them as a shooter. Oregon game is the perfect example. Again against Marquette or Depaul this won't show, it's gonna show when they play real teams like Nc st, SC, Stanford.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey's "play of the game" Nika's 4th quarter offensive rebound / Hustle play between the circles. All awareness and hustle. These are the play we didn't make vs. Villanova and it cost us. Nika absolutely set the tone for that run in the 4th. Her team sees her effort and it's contagious "I keep going back to Nika 'cause she ... maintained the pace we wanted the whole game". In the 4th she raised the pressure on Marquette's back-court to ferocious levels and it clearly impacted their offense.

Best line of the interview:
Deb Fiske: "...[Nika] was a gnat...it got to the point where the were just annoyed by her..."
Chris Dailey interjects: "Well, so am I so they should just join the club."

Look, I'm well aware of the gaps in Nika's game, but she brings something no one else on the team does. Her intensity contributed directly to at least three turnovers/steals in that 4th quarter run if memory serves. She rattled the crap out of #12. No one on the offensive side pushes the ball up-court like she does. Her teammate respect what she brings, CD and Geno love it, and I love watching it.

When we're at full strength again, Nika will probably not start, but I think she will still contribute a bunch of minutes in the rotation even against the better teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So UCONN is going to have 2 starting PGs?
It worked for the 2014 mens championship team… and the 1999 men’s championship team now that I think about it.

That said we can only play five at a time. If Nica stays on the court, do you bring Paige off the bench? If not who is sitting down? Having Paige and Azzi on the floor at the same time really opens up the paint and allows us to compete with pretty much anyone. Nica will get her minutes, she’s too valuable not to. I also expect that she’ll have stretches of time when she and Paige play together. But I think, once Paige is healthy, she goes back to being our starting point guard. Note, however, early on with a minutes limitation, it wouldn’t surprise me if she did come off the bench.

Reaction Score
My favorite line from Cheers: Carla had just bought a house and Norm and Cliff were over just after she'd moved in. She says, "This occasion calls for a beer." Norm says (quoting from memory), "Yeah, most occasions do."

John Bigboote, sipping on a homemade raspberry wheat.
Miss my Cheers, loved that show.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
13 ,13, 3, 3, 16, 14 were Nika's minutes in the games prior to page getting hurt. Whether it was her own injury or the injuries to Paige and Caroline those injuries
have a lot to do with how Geno is using Nika. Injuries are not the only reason Nika is on the court but it is the main reason she was on the court for 40 minutes yesterday-although you might not want to hear it.

images
;)

Reaction Score
Nika can provide some rest for starters as a substitute and can get substantial minutes subbing a few minutes here and there for Christyn, Azzi, Caroline, Evina, and Paige. It doesn't help our team when a core group plays too much/too long and we are tired in the last quarter. That said, it might be tricky maintaining the same chemistry with different combinations of players. Nika would enhance her role by becoming more assertive, if possible, on the scoring end, although if she is generating points by playing good defense and causing turnovers, what difference is it really if the points she produces come on the offensive or the defensive end of things?

Reaction Score
Think back to the start of this season. The pundits were all wondering how Geno was going to keep his guard-rich roster all happy, referring to Paige, CW, E, Azzi, Ducharme, Saylor, and at the bottom of the totem pole, Nika. How was Nika going to fit into this picture? Fast forward 20+ games into the season, and the only backcourt lock on the starting lineup is Nika. Funny how things turn out.

Although she may not score as much, she reminds me of Kelly Faris, with her intensity.

Reaction Score
IMHO, the Huskies go on these incredible runs when they are at their best.Suffocating defense leading to turnovers, transition baskets , full court pressure. Vicious cycle for the opponent.
Before and after the runs, there seems to be a period of , how shall I put this, less intensive or aggressive play. Are they just catching their breath? Does the intensity of their play wear them down for a few minutes?
Are they losing focus before they can reload?
Once (if?) everybody returns, I see Nika coming off the bench in a role similar to Aubrey's. Raise H_ll, speed up the offense, contest everything, shots, passes, dribbles on defense. Go as hard as you can for as long as you can. Maybe 20-25 minutes on the floor in INTENSE 5 minute increments. Just when they think they have the answers, we change the questions.
Maybe the NCAA Final game ends with Nika sporting 2 black eyes.
And a big grin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom