Nika Muhl is Fun to Watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl is Fun to Watch

Reaction Score
Sorry She should not be playing as much as she is. Against good teams she is a defensive liability and she has no offense -
Nika is a like the weak hitting, strong defensive catcher, who is the backbone of the team. Directs the defense, handles the pitchers. Nika's work rate brings the team up a notch. Be happy she is on your team and not playing against you.

Does anyone have a picture of Nika with the black eye? Please post it.

Reaction Score
Nika is a like the weak hitting, strong defensive catcher, who is the backbone of the team. Directs the defense, handles the pitchers. Nika's work rate brings the team up a notch. Be happy she is on your team and not playing against you.

Does anyone have a picture of Nika with the black eye? Please post it.
Not questioning her work ethic or passion - your analogy isn’t bad, but I wouldnt say strong defense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To me she is an off the bench player to bring in some energy. She hustles and has passion and I like that. For every good play she makes she will then make a bad one. She has good pressure up top but routinely gets best off the dribble. Offensively she really doesn’t add anything - I was hoping she would work in her shot in the off season to be a threat but that hasn’t happened. Sorry I will try not to be so negative. I just don’t see her taking us to any championship
I don't think you are being negative. I think your critique of "Nika's play" is very reasonable with the exception of I would change the word "anything" to "very little" and delete the entire last sentence. For some reason critique of Nika play seems to hit many BY posters differently that critique of some other UCONN players and I don't know why that is. For example last season when Aubrey was fully healthy may BY came to the realization that the reason Aubrey was not a starter was because the UCONN offense stalled when she was in the game. With Nika you have a different but equal issue and it is simply this: As the primary ball handler Nika needs to be more of an offensive threat while she on the floor and that means; shooting the ball more often, shooting more accurately and shooting from more spots on the floor. From this critique I was asked this rather silly question: Do you think Nika is contributing anything to this team? Of course I do. I also fully understand that many of the things that Nika is contributing are things that will not show up in a box score. Here is the irony: The things than I'm asking of Nika are things that will show up in a box score so there really should be any argument when/if they happen. Nika is playing very good basketball lately. Despite a scoreless full 40 minute game today improved play from Nika will be critical for the remainder of the season and next.

Reaction Score
I don't think you are being negative. I think your critique of "Nika's play" is very reasonable with the exception of I would change the word "anything" to "very little" and delete the entire last sentence. For some reason critique of Nika play seems to hit many BY posters differently that critique of some other UCONN players and I don't know why that is. For example last season when Aubrey was fully healthy may BY came to the realization that the reason Aubrey was not a starter was because the UCONN offense stalled when she was in the game. With Nika you have a different but equal issue and it is simply this: As the primary ball handler Nika needs to be more of an offensive threat while she on the floor and that means; shooting the ball more often, shooting more accurately and shooting from more spots on the floor. From this critique I was asked this rather silly question: Do you think Nika is contributing anything to this team? Of course I do. I also fully understand that many of the things that Nika is contributing are things that will not show up in a box score. Here is the irony: The things than I'm asking of Nika are things that will show up in a box score so there really should be any argument when/if they happen. Nika is playing very good basketball lately. Despite a scoreless full 40 minute game today improved play from Nika will be critical for the remainder of the season and next.
sometime during her career she will rack up a double-double while scoring no points

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Only one for six. Ouch.

I should have known about Kiah. She probably didn't have many games of >= 30 mins.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am a fan of Nika and I am glad she is appreciated for what she brings to the team, not criticized for what she doesn't.
In today's game against Marquette she played almost the entire game (39.53) without scoring a point. Not surprisingly the most playing time without scoring (my records start 2000-01).
Quiz:
Nika becomes the ninth UConn WBB players since 2000-01 to go scoreless playing 30 or more minutes in a single game.
How many of those players can you name?
Moriah Jefferson went scoreless at ND in a UCONN blowout in 2014.

Reaction Score
One cannot deny the kick she gives this team at times, it’s invigorating and shows a lot of leadership which has been absent at times. But, in my day she was what we called a bricklayer. No malice, just calling it what it is. I think if and when everyone is healthy she might be hard pressed to get 15 minutes of PT.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Last you looked", last year UConn played their best ball, unequivocally, you must not have looked, was when Nika stepped up and took over the 1. PB obviously slid over to the 2. Nika's biggest impact was defensively. Her pressure on the ball is the catalyst for what they can do on D. She is also more than capable of getting the offense started, which of course is to get the ball to PB and now Azzi Fudd. Then, when you weren't looking, Nika went down in the tournament, and UConn had to finish without her. Do you think Nika could have made a difference in that AZ game?
As @DefenseBB migght say a little perspective might be helpful here. UCONN played its best basketball last season against South Carolina, Baylor and Iowa. Nika didn't have anything to do with those last two. The SC game was a game that went into OT, so I went back to check if Nika had any positive stats/impact on that OT-she did not. Nika did hit a 3Pt shot early in the 4th quarter which put UCONN up by 7 but she started celebrating too early. From that point on she committed two fouls and a turnover and was not on the floor for the final 2 minutes of the game. Pressure defense would have been helpful against the SC guards who orchestrated the come back . A facilitator would have been very helpful to Paige instead of Paige having to set her self up for all the UCONN OT offense. BTW. Nika played 21 minutes in the Arizona game. That UCONN season ended when Nika was cleanly stripped of the basketball on the second to last UCONN possession and with Nika missing a 3pt FGA on the final possession.

Reaction Score
As @DefenseBB migght say a little perspective might be helpful here. UCONN played its best basketball last season against South Carolina, Baylor and Iowa. Nika didn't have anything to do with those last two. The SC game was a game that went into OT, so I went back to check if Nika had any positive stats/impact on that OT-she did not. Nika did hit a 3Pt shot early in the 4th quarter which put UCONN up by 7 but she started celebrating too early. From that point on she committed two fouls and a turnover and was not on the floor for the final 2 minutes of the game. Pressure defense would have been helpful against the SC guards who orchestrated the come back . A facilitator would have been very helpful to Paige instead of Paige having to set her self up for all the UCONN OT offense. BTW. Nika played 21 minutes in the Arizona game. That UCONN season ended when Nika was cleanly stripped of the basketball on the second to last UCONN possession and with Nika missing a 3pt FGA on the final possession.
A little perspective indeed. Tell me how well MoJeff, Bria Hartley, Rene Montgomery, Ketia Swanier, Caroline Doty played their freshman year and in the playoffs where they did not have the misfortune to having been injured early in the playoffs and then reluctantly inserted in the FF semis because she wasn't fully recovered? Might she not have been playing in pain in that game?.....after all, the lingering effects of that injury had to be dealt with early this season which made her miss games....

Am not proposing Nika place in the firmament of UConn PGs.....just asking for perspective re: how those freshmen played....because as far I as recall, all of them were uneven.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
"Last you looked", last year UConn played their best ball, unequivocally, you must not have looked, was when Nika stepped up and took over the 1. PB obviously slid over to the 2. Nika's biggest impact was defensively. Her pressure on the ball is the catalyst for what they can do on D. She is also more than capable of getting the offense started, which of course is to get the ball to PB and now Azzi Fudd. Then, when you weren't looking, Nika went down in the tournament, and UConn had to finish without her. Do you think Nika could have made a difference in that AZ game?
Yes with her in my opinion they win.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Came in for few minutes in the 1st half was playing on one leg, same foot injury that flared up this year limited her at the start and eventually shut her down for games this year. The statement played their best was Geno's. Aubrey only played 6 minutes in the Arizona game, then was benched.

Reaction Score
:D I pretty sure the rules prohibit her from reaching double digits in PF, so what other statistical categories did you have in mind. :eek:
Maybe rebounds and assists, good effort towards it last year against Marquette, 2/5/21 7 REB, 9 A, 5 S, 8 PT

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A little perspective indeed. Tell me how well MoJeff, Bria Hartley, Rene Montgomery, Ketia Swanier, Caroline Doty played their freshman year and in the playoffs where they did not have the misfortune to having been injured early in the playoffs and then reluctantly inserted in the FF semis because she wasn't fully recovered? Might she not have been playing in pain in that game?.....after all, the lingering effects of that injury had to be dealt with early this season which made her miss games....

Am not proposing Nika place in the firmament of UConn PGs.....just asking for perspective re: how those freshmen played....because as far I as recall, all of them were uneven.
They were all uneven, most UCONN freshman are. Renee was perhaps the least uneven. Caroline' unevenness was directly attributable to a reoccurrence of her HS ACL injury. With the exception of Ketia Swanier all the players you mentioned had better freshman offensive statistics when compared to Nika. For example Caroline Doty was a day one freshman starter on an undefeated National Championship team where the other starters were Renee Montgomery, Maya and Tina Charles.
You also need to consider that Nika is closing in on the end of her sophomore season and this is where a comparison of Nika offensive numbers compared to any of the players you mentioned dramatically falls apart. The primary reason for this is because although Nika is averaging roughly the same amount of minutes per game Nika is actually shooting the ball worse this season than she did last season.

Reaction Score
They were all uneven, most UCONN freshman are. Renee was perhaps the least uneven. Caroline' unevenness was directly attributable to a reoccurrence of her HS ACL injury. With the exception of Ketia Swanier all the players you mentioned had better freshman offensive statistics when compared to Nika. For example Caroline Doty was a day one freshman starter on an undefeated National Championship team where the other starters were Renee Montgomery, Maya and Tina Charles.
You also need to consider that Nika is closing in on the end of her sophomore season and this is where a comparison of Nika offensive numbers compared to any of the players you mentioned dramatically falls apart. The primary reason for this is because although Nika is averaging roughly the same amount of minutes per game Nika is actually shooting the ball worse this season than she did last season.
As I recall, all those others were scoring PGs or combo guards in high school. Nika almost disdains scoring and prefers an assist, so being asked to shoot when open is a change in mindset.

Plus Nika's improvement in scoring was later in the season last year AFTER a steady run of games. You and I know how this season started for her and the run of games were intermittent until only recently. Statistics without context and using it to judge a player......???

Nah, I can't bear the thought.

Reaction Score
As much as I think that is a stretch - their winning it all - if Nika was her normal self, she would have caused mayhem when Arizona was manhandling Paige, especially after the blindside tackle one of their bigs delivered (not sure she saw it though).

So, who knows what might have happened if they got to the final where UConn is undefeated.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Here's something that really impresses me about Nika.

As a general statement, she is really janey-on-the-spot regarding loose balls, tipped passes, and tipped rebounds. But she excels at being in good rebounding position and grabbing a ball that was a long shot that barely grazes the front of the rim and drops down at about Mach 1, usually cleanly. Then of course she turns in the blink of an eye and motors toward the other end like a bat out of somewhere and good things often happen.

She has her qualities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom