Nika Guarding Caitlin - Thoughts? | The Boneyard

Nika Guarding Caitlin - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On the couch with my popcorn.

Prince Harry Interview GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Reaction Score
It'd be a good test for Nika. I bet Geno has designed some defensive switches into his planning for this game. We'll probably see Nika and Azzi on her for a lot of the time. But I also expect to see Aubrey on her for at least part of the game. We just need to choose our spots -- let Aubrey shut her down in the 3rd quarter when we go on a big run, for example. When we're up 20, let Nika and Azzi harry her at the perimeter in the 4th and deficit will have the Hawkeyes will so fixated on getting her the ball and running screens and clearouts for her that the rest of their offense will sputter. Two years ago, we did something like this: Christyn covered her much of the game -- and did an awesome job of it -- and Evina and Aubrey and Paige took up the slack some, too. In the end, Clark was a non-factor and made a number of uncharacteristic mistakes as a result of the pressure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if Aubrey takes most of the load of guarding Caitlin freeing Nika to energetically point guard the team.
This is a match up that I look forward to.

Reaction Score
50%/50% chance she fouls out.........
Nika is the wrong guard to guard Caitlin BUT Aubrey at least for the first half and Nika the second half seems safe. That Iowa shooter is exceptional, true. She is not without weaknesses. I agree the potential of Nika losing her cool is the Nika we love.
I agree with the writer who says use Nika and Griffin.
Caitlin is taller than Nika, will shoot over her --and there-in comes the fouls. But we have seen 3 great games from the "spirit of Croatia ". 2 things are obvious: Nika has one speed one mentality---all out, and she has matured, great combination. I guess, for this game ALONE, I'll allow Geno to make that choice.

Reaction Score
What's effective............under 30?;)
No, but 20 is do-able and I think Fudd, Lou, Caroline, Edwards, Nika can make that up over the rest of the Iowa team. Remember when Caitlin is scoring 20 other Iowans aren't.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark is a great player. But she takes so many shots to score her points. Last night, she was 12 for 23 & 2 for 8 from 3 point range against a mediocre defensive team. UCONN will convert many of those missed shots into points on their end.

Reaction Score
I would agree with others that Aubrey's size combined with her quickness is the better option for Clark but I'm sure there will be some Nika and Fudd. Geno has often said that the best defense is constantly giving a good player a different look instead of letting the player get accustomed to one defender.

Reaction Score
I always trust Geno, the best coach ever! Whether it's Nika or Aubrey, he should come up with an answer or make an adjustment. It blows my mind to see what this group is capable of. Who ever thought that Aubrey Griffin would ever be the force that she is and how much Nika has matured. I wouldn't want to start a fight with Nika, the most intense basketball player I've seen since the late Drazin Petrovic in the NBA and from guess where? Croatia! Hopefully both Caroline and Dorka heal, and let's go Huskies.

Reaction Score
The issue in this game isn't who's going to guard Caitlin. Our problem is that Dorka can't play. Iowa's center is a big part of their offense, and if Aaliyah has to guard her the risk of accumulating fouls is heightened. Dorka's five fouls to give could spare Edwards' dilemma. As is, there's no Husky to take Czinano off Aaliyah's back. This would be the case whenever UConn has to face a scoring big w/out Dorka. It's the answer to the question of whether Aubrey should start or not. I expect Geno to use multiple players to guard the Iowa center, but Czinano is a load, quick and deadly under the basket.
Caitlin, too, will be a team project, but she, alone, isn't going to beat us. Protecting our one true point guard (Nika) is more important than trying to shut down Caitlin.

Reaction Score
I hope they'll have the guts to go right at Clark early and get her some fouls that will put her on the bench for a while.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark is a great player. But she takes so many shots to score her points. Last night, she was 12 for 23 & 2 for 8 from 3 point range against a mediocre defensive team. UCONN will convert many of those missed shots into points on their end.
Yes and no. There are a lot of inefficient volume shooters in college basketball, but Clark isn’t (usually) one of them. Her career FG% is 46.2% which is excellent for a guard as ball-dominant as she is.

Reaction Score
I think Nika is very aware of how important it is for her to be on the floor. Unless the refs are looking for calls against her I don't see her being at risk of getting in foul trouble - even then I think she and certainly Geno will make adjustments. I think she will spend more time disrupting the offense flow in general and be part of a team effort to never let Caitlin get the ball, with time and position to operate comfortably. I expect to see Aubrey spending a lot of time on Caitlin. Perhaps Caroline at times as well if she can keep pace, because her length could be very effective in disrupting Caitlin's shots.

Reaction Score
I think Nika is very aware of how important it is for her to be on the floor. Unless the refs are looking for calls against her I don't see her being at risk of getting in foul trouble - even then I think she and certainly Geno will make adjustments. I think she will spend more time disrupting the offense flow in general and be part of a team effort to never let Caitlin get the ball, with time and position to operate comfortably. I expect to see Aubrey spending a lot of time on Caitlin. Perhaps Caroline at times as well if she can keep pace, because her length could be very effective in disrupting Caitlin's shots.
nice post. nika has never fouled out and her fouls have never even came close to costing us a game. i expect the same trend going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom