Nika Guarding Caitlin - Thoughts? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika Guarding Caitlin - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Griffen will get the nod on Clark to start the game. Geno will then put everyone on her as needed except for Fudd. He can’t afford for Azzi to get into foul trouble. Iowa has two bigs in the post. Patterson is going to get plenty of minutes. Still blows my mind that Amari has shown no improvement. Saddens me really. The team needs for her to start shinning.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What we don't need is losing the momentum that Nika brings to our offence. Caitlin moves so much that I am afraid the fouls will come, especially when the refs seem to favor the stars. Aubrey would be the best choice, taller, more athletic. I think offensively we are the better team, so I would not sacrifice our point guard to guard a player that may score anyway, no matter who guards her. Let Aubrey and the others worry about Caitlin and concentrate on our scoring. If we do what we do on offence, we will win no matter how many points she scores.

Reaction Score
I think a combination of Nika and Aubrey will be effective.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Nika is NOT fouling this year like last year. Apparently she has found a better way of checking without fouling. Aubrey is a tenacious defender and her height will be effective against Clark. The edge that always goes to Uconn is their team play and cohesiveness performing their attacks at the basket. Iowa will put up a fight, but it will not be enough to stop the Huskies! Uconn all the way! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Let Nika bother Clark when she brings the ball up the floor, then have Aubrey switch on to her in the halfcourt. Use Azzi to double when you can.

Nika will force her to keep her dribble tight and take a few seconds off the shot clock by picking her up full court. Aubrey’s length and quickness will make it difficult for Clark to get her shot off or get to the basket. As long as Aubrey stays disciplined and out of foul trouble, I like this matchup. Using Azzi to double with Aubrey will help with that as well, get the ball out of Clark’s hands for a few possessions, and help make sure we’re showing her different types of defensive coverage to keep her uncomfortable.

Reaction Score
No, but 20 is do-able and I think Fudd, Lou, Caroline, Edwards, Nika can make that up over the rest of the Iowa team. Remember when Caitlin is scoring 20 other Iowans aren't.
yes but don't underestimate Clark's ability to dish the ball when she needs to...........she is much more of a multifaceted player than some give her credit for..........

Reaction Score
What we don't need is losing the momentum that Nika brings to our offence. Caitlin moves so much that I am afraid the fouls will come, especially when the refs seem to favor the stars. Aubrey would be the best choice, taller, more athletic. I think offensively we are the better team, so I would not sacrifice our point guard to guard a player that may score anyway, no matter who guards her. Let Aubrey and the others worry about Caitlin and concentrate on our scoring. If we do what we do on offence, we will win no matter how many points she scores.
Aubrey or nika..same result. clark might get her points, but hopefully she has to work much harder for them and her percentage goes down. the disadvantage for nika is that she not only is much smaller than clark, she has to save some energy to run the offense. we need her on the court for at least 35 minutes and to find our shooters. so yeah, AG is the better option to guard clark but nika will be on her at times as well.

last game nika was great again, even made it to the rim not once, but three times, converting all three. also had a drive and dish in the lane which was sweet - interior passing! hopefully she can keep it up...i think she will.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
When Clark is on, she's unstoppable; no human can guard her. I think Geno will concede her a certain amount of points and look to controlling everyone else including Czinano who gets a whole lot of easy buckets.

If Mo was around, Geno'd try to face-guard and make it difficult for Clark to even see the ball, but I don't think we have that sort of player on the squad.

So its there gunner against our two...and Ms. Fudd is due...

Reaction Score
The first college football games I remember were Iowa's Rose Bowl wins in the late '50s... for whatever reason, as a young boy, I became a Hawkeye fan. Along the way, I started rooting for Iowa's men's basketball team and in recent decades for the Hawks' women's teams. All that said, my primary allegiance since the '60s has been UConn basketball - men and women - (except during Tim Duncan's years at Wake), especially for the women since the mid-90s, so I'll be rooting hard for the Huskies tomorrow.

I've enjoyed everyone's take on tomorrow's game and look forward to the game, much as did the Sweet Sixteen matchup of '20-21.

As for the point of this thread, I also believe Aubrey's quickness and length could cause Caitlin issues, as could Nika's aggressive, more physical approach. However, a word of caution, Caitlin is a volume free throw shooter and has about a career 87 per cent success rate there. Whether Caitlin or the defense gets the calls will be crucial, as it is every game for the Hawkeyes.

For those who say give Caitlin her 25 or 30, be wary that it's well within her ability (at least against non-Huskies teams) to go off for 40 to 45... she did that during several of Iowa's biggest games last year vs. Michigan, Indiana and Ohio State to help the Hawks to both Big Ten regular-season and tournament titles.

Czinano hasn't been as sharp this season as last year, so it's possible the Huskies might be able to limit her. In doing so, they'd cut off a good percentage of Caitlin's assists. Marshall, Warnock and Martin all can make a three-pointer, but none will make a high percentage or hurt the Huskies too badly, at least unless they're all having a career game.

I expect UConn to win by 15-25, depending on that Iowa scoring from players other than Clark/Czinano.

For those of you who have tended to downgrade Clark's accomplishments as simply piling up numbers, I'll remind you she attends her local state university knowing she'd unlikely have a shot at a national title. When you watch her play, please just understand, no matter her performance tomorrow, Caitlin is a special player who'll hopefully one day be starting in the backcourt with Paige and/or Azzi for the US national team.

It's always a treat to watch sports greatness. How much fun would it be to see both Azzi and Caitlin scoring in the 30s, and the Huskies winning by 20? I'd guess Azzi's smart enough to know she's a whole lot better off playing against Iowa's suspect D than Caitlin is vs. the Huskies' D.

Reaction Score
How about put Nika on her until she gives up the ball, then switch Aubrey onto her.

Reaction Score
I let Clark score here points, because she will anyway, and focus our D on shutting the rest of the Iowa down.
My guess is that Caitlin gets ??? fewer points because on this WEST COAST neutral court
she MAY NOT get to the free throw line as often as she usually does??!!

Reaction Score
. the disadvantage for nika is that she not only is much smaller than clark

5-10 vs 6-0, I thought it was more myself.

What about giving Caroline some time on Caitlin. 6-2 vs 6-0, and make sure you have someone to help behind Caroline. Tell Caroline, no silly fouls, use your length on the shot, you will get help if (when) she goes by you. Aubrey and AE play safety, but you cant give up layups when Caitlin dishes.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno's MO for a player of Clark's talent is to slow them down, harass them, take away the passing lanes, make them work hard for every shot they take.

Geno has also used multiple players in game to slow down a Clark. Nika, Aubrey definitely. Maybe Azzi, Caroline and maybe Lou.

Nika is a much improved defender and more savy than last season. Nika is quicker and faster than Clark.

I would expect Aubrey to be taking turns with Aaliyan on guarding Czanno. Aubrey's athleticism is something Iowa probably hasn't seen so far. And Ayanna will have her turn down low too.

Geno and company have it covered.

Reaction Score
5-10 vs 6-0, I thought it was more myself.

What about giving Caroline some time on Caitlin. 6-2 vs 6-0, and make sure you have someone to help behind Caroline. Tell Caroline, no silly fouls, use your length on the shot, you will get help if (when) she goes by you. Aubrey and AE play safety, but you cant give up layups when Caitlin dishes.
I dont think CD could hang with clark. I think AG is our best option. nika as well.

Reaction Score
Geno's MO for a player of Clark's talent is to slow them down, harass them, take away the passing lanes, make them work hard for every shot they take.

Geno has also used multiple players in game to slow down a Clark. Nika, Aubrey definitely. Maybe Azzi, Caroline and maybe Lou.

Nika is a much improved defender and more savy than last season. Nika is quicker and faster than Clark.

I would expect Aubrey to be taking turns with Aaliyan on guarding Czanno. Aubrey's athleticism is something Iowa probably hasn't seen so far. And Ayanna will have her turn down low too.

Geno and company have it covered.
I agree with everything here, huskeynut, except that Nika is quicker and faster than Caitlin. It isn't about a foot race, but I suspect on the court Caitlin has every bit as much, if not more quickness than Nika, and she'll know which direction she's headed before Nika does.

The advantage Nika and UConn have is that the Huskies have multiple good defenders, and cover well for each other, while Iowa doesn't...

Reaction Score
50%/50% chance she fouls out.........
Not a chance because I believe Griffin, Fudd, Senechal and Muhl will all have their turn and Uconn will also play some zone. I also would not rule out some junk defenses just to change the looks.

Reaction Score
I rather see Aubrey Griffin take on the that task. If she cannot do the job then bring in Nika. Nika is too valuable in running the team.
makes sense but Griffin may be needed to guard Warnock too

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Caitlin is certainly gifted and is fun to watch. But as with others above, I'm way more concerned about Czinano. I think they will go right after Edwards and entice fouls. Then what do you do? Move Aubrey onto her and give up 40 lbs? And Monika will eat Yanna (and Amari) alive and with no anesthetic.

With Dorka healthy, I'd be very confident about this game. As it is, I'm nervous.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Caitlin is certainly gifted and is fun to watch. But as with others above, I'm way more concerned about Czinano. I think they will go right after Edwards and entice fouls. Then what do you do? Move Aubrey onto her and give up 40 lbs? And Monika will eat Yanna (and Amari) alive and with no anesthetic.

With Dorka healthy, I'd be very confident about this game. As it is, I'm nervous.
But what might happen if Aaliyah goes right after Czinano by getting some great feeds from Nika, Azzi and Aubrey? This plan could work too.

But I certainly don't want to watch a nationally televised game where the refs become the major players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom