Nika Guarding Caitlin - Thoughts? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nika Guarding Caitlin - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The key isn’t to shut Clark down, but to make her contribution irrelevant. I think her relevance to the game will depend in part on the score. If we build a big lead in the 3rd quarter, I suspect Iowa will try too hard to get Clark shot opportunities in the 4th quarter and their team concept will falter. I’d think using Aubrey judiciously to guard her in the 2nd and 3rd quarters will help us build that lead.

That 3rd quarter should belong to us. If it does, the game is effectively over.

Reaction Score
Less concerned about Clark, she's going to figure out a way to get hers. Limiting her assists and Czinano is what will help UConn win

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Caitlin is certainly gifted and is fun to watch. But as with others above, I'm way more concerned about Czinano. I think they will go right after Edwards and entice fouls. Then what do you do? Move Aubrey onto her and give up 40 lbs? And Monika will eat Yanna (and Amari) alive and with no anesthetic.

With Dorka healthy, I'd be very confident about this game. As it is, I'm nervous.
I think you are making Monica Czinano into Aliyah Boston here. Although she is tall and heavy, she is not a particularly physical player, and does not focus on drawing fouls on her defender. She is much more likely to stay in place and try to make a shot over her opponent. About half of her points against Oregon State appeared to come from foul line jumpers. I have never seen her use a hook shot.

Aaliyah Edwards is quicker than Czinano and can jump higher. If she just stands her ground and keeps her arms vertical, she can keep Czinano under control. She should be able to block a few of those face-up jump shot attempts.

And then on offense, I think Aaliyah can get plenty of fouls on her, or else get a clear path to the hoop, just by using her quickness. And if Aaliyah can make a couple of her own face-up jump shots as she did against Duke, Czinano will have to leave the paint open for Aubrey and Azzi to penetrate.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Gino will mix it up, but I think the key will be defending everybody other than Clark. Yanna needs to keep herself out of foul trouble today, too. This is another game in which we'll feel the absence of Dorka. As for Clark, no problem with her getting 30 if the team totals <60.

Reaction Score
I think a combination of Nika and Aubrey will be effective.
Agree - thankful we have two great defensive players. Will moving Aubrey away from basket have any effect on rebounding? There are other great shooters coming up and this game could be an indicator of future strategy.

Reaction Score
I think Nika is up the challenge of guarding Caitlin, if she is given that tasks. But I think, like others have stated as well, Aubrey will probably be given the majority of the defensive assignment on Caitlin and then after that it becomes a defense by committee with Caitlin. All UConn has to do is what Duke did to Azzi, make it tough. Face guard, Box & 1, whatever. Just make it tough on Caitlin to score, get open, handle the ball...just make her uncomfortable out there. No easy looks or touches.

Reaction Score
Gino will mix it up, but I think the key will be defending everybody other than Clark. Yanna needs to keep herself out of foul trouble today, too. This is another game in which we'll feel the absence of Dorka. As for Clark, no problem with her getting 30 if the team totals <60.

Yeah Coach G will mix things up a little bit out there. I just feel bad for Ayanna. She breathes and she getting a foul called on her. Sure, there were some legit calls on her but there are some BS calls that she gets that other players get away with. Has to be frustrating for her because as a fan from home, it is definitely frustrating that she gets called for ticky tack fouls.

Reaction Score
Nika vs Clark is the undercard the real question is who's going to check Azzi and Lou that's the only way I see Iowa winning by shutting our shooters and their defense is not championship material ...now here's hoping I don't regret my post and have to eat my words because a win by Iowa will convince all the UConn haters that this team's preseason rank of 6th or lower is justified..
let's go Uconn !!!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I doubt just 1 or 2 players. I'm sure there will be switches too.
You are correct. I meant to say that Azzi and Lou, Nika, Aubrey and maybe some Caroline on Caitlin. Different defenders will help keep Caitlin from getting into a groove.

Reaction Score
Whoever guards her, over play her right hand, keep her in front of you to make her shoot over you.
Clark is most effective when she shoots 12 foul shots a game.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The goal for Caitlin is not to stop her, but to contain her. As a great player she will have spurts of taking over the offense, but do not let her dominate for long. No special defenses, just the BEDPOY. Typical defensive switching. Everyone will know where she is at all times. They will have an excellent scouting report and everyone will know Caitlin's favorite spots and work to make sure she doesn't get the ball there. Aubrey may not be available to take Caitlin as an assignment because we are lacking players in the front court and Iowa has other bigs and all are experienced.

Final prediction. Caitlin is taken out of her routine in the beginning, has a better second half. She and Czinano have a good game for a normal player but well below averages. Unless player X emerges with a world class effort, UConn wins by double digits and the game is out of reach at the end of 3.

Reaction Score
Aubrey may not be available to take Caitlin as an assignment because we are lacking players in the front court and Iowa has other bigs and all are experienced.
Do they? I’m not sure O’Grady is mobile enough to outplay Aaliyah. Her experience as a bit player may not matter. Stuelke is a freshman, and like Warnock she is no bigger than Caroline or Lou are.

In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Nika outrebounding the Iowa frontcourt. She’s such a scrapper.

Reaction Score
My guess is that Caitlin gets ??? fewer points because on this WEST COAST neutral court
she MAY NOT get to the free throw line as often as she usually does??!!
She does get away with straight arming her defender in the games I have witnessed. A smart defender can use that to her advantage if the officiating cooperates.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika is the wrong guard to guard Caitlin BUT Aubrey at least for the first half and Nika the second half seems safe. That Iowa shooter is exceptional, true. She is not without weaknesses. I agree the potential of Nika losing her cool is the Nika we love.
I agree with the writer who says use Nika and Griffin.

Nika has occasionally committed a frustration foul, but I can't recall her losing her cool in the last couple of years. Clark, on the other hand, certainly loses her cool to the point of yelling at teammates. Nika can get under opposing players' skin, and Clark is a prime candidate for that. (I don't mean that should be a strategy, just that Nika's style of play can be frustrating to the opposition and Clark can become frustrated.) I agree with defending Clark primarily with Nika and Aubrey, but allowing defense by committee.

As has been pointed out, Czinano is the other player to worry about. What hasn't been pointed out is that it's really unlikely that any other Iowa player will go off. I think Warnock is the only other Iowa player who's scored 15 points in a game this season. Once.

From my PoV, UConn's focus needs to be playing Clark without getting into foul trouble. Czinano has gone to the foul line over five times only once this season (against the undersized Drake, and that game went into OT, so the strategy wasn't that effective.) I think Lou and Caroline can effectively cover Warnock. Marshall is a really good shooter who just hasn't been looking for her shot the last couple of years. Some of the bench players are pretty good, but I don't see the rest of the team other than Clark and Czinano scoring more than 30.

The only way UConn scores below 90 or Iowa scores above 75 is if a couple of key UConn players have to sit half the game.

Reaction Score
Azzi has played Clark a lot over the years. I agree that it's a team approach to stop her. We can't let our bigs get into foul trouble because that's probably the key to beating us now. If AE is on the bench we are in trouble.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, Nika WAS the primary defender on Caitlin:
1. She only committed 2 fouls (point to Nika!)
2. Clark shot 9-24 (.375) vs. Ave of .472 before this game(pt to Nika!)
3. Clark was 2-11 on 3pt (.182) vs. Ave of .340 before fame (pt to Nika!)
4. Caitlin had 6 assists vs. her 7 average before this game (draw)
5. CC had 3 turnovers vs. 2.5 per game prior (draw).

Nika was also sick (as in under the weather) and was SICK in the game on how well she played!
while there was some switching on/off of Caitlin, Nika was the always picking her up at half court. Hopefully this game has swayed many of the concerning comments on this thread-what say you @Charliebball ? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Nika was also sick (as in under the weather) and was SICK in the game on how well she played!
while there was some switching on/off of Caitlin, Nika was the always picking her up at half court. Hopefully this game has swayed many of the concerning comments on this thread-what say you @Charliebball ? :rolleyes:
Couple what you posted with, as per Geno, Nika felt she played a bad game today! She did what she did today covering one of the best offensive players in the country, stayed out there 40 minutes while sick and I have no doubt never let her team quit on themselves. She is just a really special player, enjoy her for these last two seasons of her Uconn career because it will be a long time before you see another one like her. All heart, tough as nails and lives to represent Uconn wcbb the right way! Absolutely love this kid, as I am sure her coaches and teammates do as well.

Reaction Score
You took the words right out of my mouth. Nika is NOT fouling this year like last year. Apparently she has found a better way of checking without fouling. Aubrey is a tenacious defender and her height will be effective against Clark. The edge that always goes to Uconn is their team play and cohesiveness performing their attacks at the basket. Iowa will put up a fight, but it will not be enough to stop the Huskies! Uconn all the way! GO HUSKIES!!!
OOHLALA!!! Was I right or was I right. They put up a fantastic challenge, especially their 3 point shooting, which kept them in the game until Uconn being Uconn finished the game Uconn style. Congratulations!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
The key isn’t to shut Clark down, but to make her contribution irrelevant. I think her relevance to the game will depend in part on the score. If we build a big lead in the 3rd quarter, I suspect Iowa will try too hard to get Clark shot opportunities in the 4th quarter and their team concept will falter. I’d think using Aubrey judiciously to guard her in the 2nd and 3rd quarters will help us build that lead.

That 3rd quarter should belong to us. If it does, the game is effectively over.
Boy, were you right. You have some crystal ball. Great post.

Reaction Score

Couple what you posted with, as per Geno, Nika felt she played a bad game today! She did what she did today covering one of the best offensive players in the country, stayed out there 40 minutes while sick and I have no doubt never let her team quit on themselves. She is just a really special player, enjoy her for these last two seasons of her Uconn career because it will be a long time before you see another one like her. All heart, tough as nails and lives to represent Uconn wcbb the right way! Absolutely love this kid, as I am sure her coaches and teammates do as well.
Well said by DefenseBB and #12in21. I wholeheartedly agree Nika did a really good job keeping Caitlin from going off for a really big game. One stat you didn't note, and I know this will draw plenty of dislikes: Caitlin did score 25 points and Nika had 2. My point is that scoring is a big part of basketball and Nika doesn't have to worry about that, pretty much at all. She's excellent at the facets of the game within her skill set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom