Nick Timberlake to Kansas | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Nick Timberlake to Kansas

Reaction Score
Based on that I wonder if Hurley is talking here about that experience.

Hurley said the staff will be focused on recruiting the high school class of 2024, while moves for constructing next year’s team will largely have to wait as Jackson and Newton make their final decisions.

“It’s hard because if you’re trying to recruit a player right now, if you’re looking for some type of a piece, it’s hard to give them a vision of what they’re walking into,” Hurley said. “It’s hard to recruit with that type of uncertainty.”

Alternate free access:
With uncertainty looming over roster, UConn men’s basketball head coach Dan Hurley calls for patience
Definitely tough to guarantee a starting job right now, but is there anyone left in the portal right now who even deserves that guarantee? At worst case, a guard coming in would be looking at a Nahiem/Joey type role, which I would think is enticing.

Reaction Score
John. I agree with you. Yesterday I posted (but then deleted) my thoughts about the issues on the horizon when auditors and the IRS start challenging the fair market value of the services rendered versus paid. There are some controls in tax regs and in audit rules. That may root out some of the nonsense
Yeah. It is like some people think it is OK to just throw cash at people. Answer is no. I blame Emmert for this. He decided to break the system because he didn’t feel there was political will to enforce.

Baker is going to be tasked with saving the sport. It is on that okayers get money. But make it honestly for Fair Market Value. Not like the $13M deal the Florida QB tried to get.

Reaction Score
NCAA isn't the government. Their ability to get records is basically 0. ESPECIALLY for boosters, who have no incentive or compulsion to cooperate at all, since they can't be sanctioned.

I don't see how they can enforce it. They've been relying on self policing for forever, but recently the schools have decided non-cooperating is the way to go. And the IIARP let everybody in the FBI off the hook basically. There's no teeth and even if they did have teeth there's no way to prove anything.
Every NIL deal needs to be in compliance offices hands. If it isn’t, that is an ncaa violation.

I think in Connecticut. They are reaching that disclosure.

If people are doing NIL, and they are not registering the actual deal. That is against ncaa rules and player should be suspended. You can make money, the ncaa can’t stop that, but they can make rules that keep you ineligible.

Reaction Score
Top three schools interested that he liked were UNC, KU and UConn.

UNC offered 250K, KU offered 250K plus a Hellcat car, our offer was far far less (not sure how much exactly).
I wonder if this Hurley quote from yesterday was also related to the Timberlake recruitment.

Hurley said that in order to get and retain top players in the future, the Huskies NIL collective is going to have to do a good job capitalizing on this season's national title and getting players opportunities to make money from marketing their names, images and likenesses while in school. But he said he hopes that doesn't become a primary recruiting tool.

"I want players to want to play for me," he said. "I want players to want to play for this historic program. I want players to want to be part of our culture. I want players to see this as a place where they can develop and become an NBA player, where the big, big life-changing opportunities are."

Reaction Score
I wonder if this Hurley quote from yesterday was also related to the Timberlake recruitment.

Hurley said that in order to get and retain top players in the future, the Huskies NIL collective is going to have to do a good job capitalizing on this season's national title and getting players opportunities to make money from marketing their names, images and likenesses while in school. But he said he hopes that doesn't become a primary recruiting tool.

"I want players to want to play for me," he said. "I want players to want to play for this historic program. I want players to want to be part of our culture. I want players to see this as a place where they can develop and become an NBA player, where the big, big life-changing opportunities are."

This sounds great but most top kids will follow the money. What Danny wants will come into play when all else is equal.

Reaction Score
Baker isn’t some politician who is gonna struggle here.

In the interim rule on NIL, all NIL deals must be disclosed to the compliance office and — here is the thing — the NIL payment must equal the value of the services.

So what does that mean?

You can’t pay a guy $1 million For an autograph.

And, NIL can’t be an inducement to recruiting . I would imagine that Baker is gonna take a long hard look at this and vet an suspicious deals. Okay for pay does not exist.
I agree with you 100% on this point. But here’s the problem… even if your point wasn’t taken to the extreme example above, the value of services is completely subjective. I’ve worked in the sports industry for 30 years, specifically in the area of sponsorship (brand-side and rights holder side). There is no standard ROI model in the industry, nor is there a standard valuation model for sponsorship or endorsement assets. This isn’t like the advertising industry, where CPMs provide a standard value.

Reaction Score
This sounds great but most top kids will follow the money. What Danny wants will come into play when all else is equal.

Maybe so.

The issue Hurley points out that is true is there will be great uncertainty each year what the roster is going to be which makes it tough as the team recruiting who wants to make it clear what the opportunity and role is, etc. and wont be able to do that and it is also tough for the recruit who will not know in many cases where they stand as they commit. Not as big a deal for the top guys who are playing regardless but definitely is for the majority of recruits. But even for the top guys, they may choose a school who has the rare case of "certainty" in roster over another school that doesn't.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just sucks because by all accounts it was an A+++ visit. But even that can't compete with life-changing money.
Is 250K life-changing money these days? It's life more comfortable for a few years money, maybe. I know I'm a homer but I have to think he would have gotten more over the full life cycle at UConn. With the added benefit of not having to be in Kansas.

Reaction Score
Is 250K life-changing money these days? It's life more comfortable for a few years money, maybe. I know I'm a homer but I have to think he would have gotten more over the full life cycle at UConn. With the added benefit of not having to be in Kansas.
Yes, it’s life changing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
combined with a 250000 dollar car you have to think so, yes.

His full "life cycle" anywhere in college is one season. Don't know exactly what miracle benefit he gets here that offsets a 1/2 a million. But Im here to listen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
combined with a 250000 dollar car you have to think so, yes.

His full "life cycle" anywhere in college is one season. Don't know exactly what miracle benefit he gets here that offsets a 1/2 a million. But Im here to listen.
I thought the car was in the 30's, even so the actual cash is 250K. No, the life cycle is more than one year. I was thinking he'd get good NIL money here from Nicky Massachusettes alone. Afterwards, he'd be ever a part of the UConn club. That has value. Does Tate get all those clients if he never played at UConn?

Reaction Score

One more sentence to this quote that wasn't included in the other article that I highlighted in red (found this in the Journal Inquirer). Definitely sounds like he's talking about Timberlake based on what @G0UCONN told us.

"Listen, your NIL has got to be strong in today's game to stay at this level. Our NIL, our collective here is going to have to be really strong. I've said this a lot, I don't want it to be a reason why players come here. I want players to want to play for me. I want players that want to play for this storied program. I want players to want to be part of our culture. I want players to see this as a place where they can develop and become NBA players where the big, big life-changing opportunities are in their career.

“But we also don't want to lose players because of it in terms of retention. But I don't want it to be the primary reason, as the type of coach that I am, that that's why players want to come here."

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I thought the car was in the 30's, even so the actual cash is 250K. No, the life cycle is more than one year. I was thinking he'd get good NIL money here from Nicky Massachusettes alone. Afterwards, he'd be ever a part of the UConn club. That has value. Does Tate get all those clients if he never played at UConn?
How much does a Hellfire car cost?

The Apocalypse Hellfire 6x6. This remastered Jeep Gladiator 6x6 AWD - Pricing from $175k to $250k. This 6x6 is engineered with three killer choices of powerplants and 3 truck type models.

caw

Reaction Score
250k goes pretty far in Kansas. Not so much in New England.

Reaction Score
If you can't buy a decent house in a decent area with it, it's definitely not life changing money. It's a nice 1 year salary.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you can't buy a decent house in a decent area with it, it's definitely not life changing money. It's a nice 1 year salary.

I think you and others are being too literal when framing life changing money. No, he's not going to retire at 25 to a private island with $250K, but if you don't think being able to put 20% down on a half million dollar home, throwing 100k into a brokerage account and leaving yourself $50k for checking/emergencies isn't "life changing" for 99% of 25 year olds I'm not sure what to tell you.

Reaction Score
How much does a Hellfire car cost?

The Apocalypse Hellfire 6x6. This remastered Jeep Gladiator 6x6 AWD - Pricing from $175k to $250k. This 6x6 is engineered with three killer choices of powerplants and 3 truck type models.
Completely different vehicle.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm trying to buy my 1st house right now, and realizing how much everything costs and how much cash I'll need. $250K might not be life changing to some, but can say it would certainly be life changing for me

Just wait until you move in and starts to break :)

Edit: I highly highly recommend when buying to see if you can get someone to poke around for mold (don't pay for the air tests they are mainly junk). Was in the home maybe 1.5 years before discovering the entire basement sheetrock and underlayment of the vinyl floor was covered in it. Fun times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom