Nick Timberlake to Kansas | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Nick Timberlake to Kansas

Reaction Score
Do you understand NIL? Charlie baker has no say on that. Charlie baker DOES have a say on portal. Both together is nitroglycerin
The NCAA absolutely has a say in how NIL is used for schools in recruiting. I don't have a problem with a kid going out and marketing themselves to make money. Like what Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd have done. But schools offering "guarantees" of NIL money to get recruits to come to their school isn't what NIL was intended to do. We saw it with Miami last year and there were all kinds of articles basically saying this wasn't the intention of NIL. But since there were no real rules yet, programs started taking advantage of it.

The barn door for NIL was opened quickly because of legal and government requirements without a good set of rules. So right now it's the Wild West and it isn't sustainable. Maybe some people are comfortable with this model. I'm not. As I said, this isn't what NIL was intended to be used for. It was supposed to benefit just the players. Not a benefit to schools to get recruits. I'm sure the NCAA will work within legal requirements to stop this practice.

Reaction Score
I just have a hard time believe that will be our starting lineup. We really need someone in the lineup in the mold of Hawkins. We won’t find someone as good for a 1 year stop-gap, but someone who we can run the same sets for, coming off screens and pin downs and hitting 3s while also ability to defend the 1-3.
We’d be very lucky and happy to have that lineup next year.

Reaction Score
He has a say on it. He can forbid use of it in recruiting. There's nothing whatsoever in the court rulings that would prevent that. The question is whether the NCAA Presidents want to go down that path.
And good luck to him if he tries to do that. Because it's already not allowed to be used in recruiting, it's impossible to enforce

Reaction Score
Choose to ignore it if you want. Up to you.

Disagree 100% on the AJax comment. Wanting to know, if he can, if a huge piece of the team who is also a great distributor on the court is coming back is a question any recruit would ask of the player or coaches.

I think we may just be parsing words (re: AJ exchange). You presented it first as a "NT said he'd commit on the spot if AJ says he stays right now". Much different than "NT wanted some information and thoughts on what AJ was planning"

NIL/portal currently is a crazy system, but if NT truly wanted to come to UConn 100% but only if AJ was back, then he could have just waited for AJ to go through the draft process and then made his final decision after that.

but I 100% get that waiting until that process happened would mean with close to 100% certainty that he'd lose out on the guaranteed bag of cash/hot rod waiting from KU...

Tough situation for a young adult/his family to be in.

Reaction Score
The NCAA absolutely has a say in how NIL is used for schools in recruiting. I don't have a problem with a kid going out and marketing themselves to make money. Like what Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd have done. But schools offering "guarantees" of NIL money to get recruits to come to their school isn't what NIL was intended to do. We saw it with Miami last year and there were all kinds of articles basically saying this wasn't the intention of NIL. But since there were no real rules yet, programs started taking advantage of it.

The barn door for NIL was opened quickly because of legal and government requirements without a good set of rules. So right now it's the Wild West and it isn't sustainable. Maybe some people are comfortable with this model. I'm not. As I said, this isn't what NIL was intended to be used for. It was supposed to benefit just the players. Not a benefit to schools to get recruits. I'm sure the NCAA will work within legal requirements to stop this practice.
Baker isn’t some politician who is gonna struggle here.

In the interim rule on NIL, all NIL deals must be disclosed to the compliance office and — here is the thing — the NIL payment must equal the value of the services.

So what does that mean?

You can’t pay a guy $1 million For an autograph.

And, NIL can’t be an inducement to recruiting . I would imagine that Baker is gonna take a long hard look at this and vet an suspicious deals. Okay for pay does not exist.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And good luck to him if he tries to do that. Because it's already not allowed to be used in recruiting, it's impossible to enforce
It's not impossible, they just paused any effort to do it because it will require new, detailed regulations.

Reaction Score
Baker isn’t some politician who is gonna struggle here.

In the interim rule on NIL, all NIL deals must be disclosed to the compliance office and — here is the thing — the NIL payment must equal the value of the services.

So what does that mean?

You can’t pay a guy $1 million For an autograph.

And, NIL can’t be an inducement to recruiting . I would imagine that Baker is gonna take a long hard look at this and vet a suspicious deals. Okay for pay does not exist.
John. I agree with you. Yesterday I posted (but then deleted) my thoughts about the issues on the horizon when auditors and the IRS start challenging the fair market value of the services rendered versus paid. There are some controls in tax regs and in audit rules. That may root out some of the nonsense

Reaction Score
It's not impossible, they just paused any effort to do it because it will require new, detailed regulations.
No, it's impossible. If they try to enforce a kid getting $1M to commit to Kentucky all of a sudden that $1M payment isn't going to be made a week after he enrolls instead of before. Will never happen

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, it's impossible. If they try to enforce a kid getting $1M to commit to Kentucky all of a sudden that $1M payment isn't going to be made a week after he enrolls instead of before. Will never happen
It's no different than it was before. If there are any communications between recruits and the boosters and people providing NIL pre-commitment you slap them on probation. Nothing has changed except the fact that now, post commitment, a kid can earn money. But the enforcement mechanism has the same problems it always did, trying to restrict 3rd parties that aren't under control of the school.

Reaction Score
WTF is wrong with everyone? We just won a championship and people are upset we didn't get one transfer. Are we mad that we are sending kids to the draft? I am so confused. So we don't seem like a favorite to repeat, we weren't expected to contend last year, let the staff do what they do and let the draft process play out. Worst case scenario we are an okay to good program next year and 4 players went on to become professionals.

As far as people wanting to be a top 5 team year in and year out, I'm not sure that is possible in today's NCAA.

Reaction Score
WTF is wrong with everyone? We just won a championship and people are upset we didn't get one transfer. Are we mad that we are sending kids to the draft? I am so confused. So we don't seem like a favorite to repeat, we weren't expected to contend last year, let the staff do what they do and let the draft process play out. Worst case scenario we are an okay to good program next year and 4 players went on to become professionals.

As far as people wanting to be a top 5 team year in and year out, I'm not sure that is possible in today's NCAA.
exactly. I will take a winning a title over a 25 year old transfer if they are mutually exclusive. It sucks to lose him, but there will be plenty of options in the transfer portal. I am sure Hurley and staff will do just fine.

Reaction Score

It’s fine to be upset lol. No one is saying the world is ending. Bummed to miss out on the guy, on to the next.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The barn door for NIL was opened quickly because of legal and government requirements without a good set of rules.
The “legal and government requirements” is a big smoke screen. The problem is that the NCAA decided to open the doors to kids earning money without losing their amateur status, but did it without putting any kind of framework in place. The resulting sh.i.t show was entirely predictable.

Reaction Score
John. I agree with you. Yesterday I posted (but then deleted) my thoughts about the issues on the horizon when auditors and the IRS start challenging the fair market value of the services rendered versus paid. There are some controls in tax regs and in audit rules. That may root out some of the nonsense
NCAA isn't the government. Their ability to get records is basically 0. ESPECIALLY for boosters, who have no incentive or compulsion to cooperate at all, since they can't be sanctioned.

I don't see how they can enforce it. They've been relying on self policing for forever, but recently the schools have decided non-cooperating is the way to go. And the IIARP let everybody in the FBI off the hook basically. There's no teeth and even if they did have teeth there's no way to prove anything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's a lot of nuance being missed in what I'm saying. I'm not saying NIL $ isn't a factor. But it's one factor. Is it the deciding one? Only Nick knows. Others include is the team good? Do you like the coach? What is the playing time? Do you like the school? The players? This kid had great options, but does anybody think Temple could have "outbid" UConn for him? If there are kids who are simply making straight money decisions, I don't want them. Want the priority to be winning, being a part of a great team, doing what it takes to win in an unselfish manner. I suspect Hurley feels the same.

There's a post about Andre and Nick saying he'd come to UConn if Andre was staying. That tells me that playing with a pass first PG probably matters to him. He's a catch and shoot player. He's not going to be on ball. Looking at UConn, if Andre and Newton aren't back, it's fair to wonder where those passes are coming from. KU roster is full of holes, except at PG.
d668f900-12f4-41cc-8e08-2f76354849ec_text.gif

Reaction Score
I had a good line on this through sheer chance (not usually an insider), but even what I was hearing was pretty much lock for UConn through Tuesday. Kansas was starting to look elsewhere. And then either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning it seems the family talked it over and the kid changed his mind. Getting paid more to go to Kansas isn't exactly a bad choice, even if most of us think he was a perfect fit for our offense and we'd be a better showcase of his abilities. So can't fault the kid. But it is disappointing as UConn fans (and I think the nature of the decision-making process may have upset some people on our end, and not just on the board here).

I think maybe you just change the wink to "looking promising" or something. Magic 8 ball phrases. And bring back grain of sand.
Having it be so nakedly about money leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth, even if it is understandable, not gonna lie. I suspect the staff feels similarly.

Reaction Score
Basically, you’re jealous.

GTF away - you don’t add anything here.

You are the Rick Reilly of the board. Your posting performance re: transfers last summer will go down in BY lore

Reaction Score
In the visit he had an exchange with AJax telling him if you promise to be back, I will commit now. AJax couldn't do that. He declared next day or 2.
Based on that I wonder if Hurley is talking here about that experience.

Hurley said the staff will be focused on recruiting the high school class of 2024, while moves for constructing next year’s team will largely have to wait as Jackson and Newton make their final decisions.

“It’s hard because if you’re trying to recruit a player right now, if you’re looking for some type of a piece, it’s hard to give them a vision of what they’re walking into,” Hurley said. “It’s hard to recruit with that type of uncertainty.”

Alternate free access:
With uncertainty looming over roster, UConn men’s basketball head coach Dan Hurley calls for patience

Reaction Score
Based on that I wonder if Hurley is talking here about that experience.

Hurley said the staff will be focused on recruiting the high school class of 2024, while moves for constructing next year’s team will largely have to wait as Jackson and Newton make their final decisions.

“It’s hard because if you’re trying to recruit a player right now, if you’re looking for some type of a piece, it’s hard to give them a vision of what they’re walking into,” Hurley said. “It’s hard to recruit with that type of uncertainty.”

Alternate free access:
With uncertainty looming over roster, UConn men’s basketball head coach Dan Hurley calls for patience

“Everyone’s just gonna have to occasionally just look up at the banner or the trophy anytime they start to lose patience and start to lose their mind. Just look up there,” he said. “Or get a replica.”

Calm down.gif

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
“Everyone’s just gonna have to occasionally just look up at the banner or the trophy anytime they start to lose patience and start to lose their mind. Just look up there,” he said. “Or get a replica.”

View attachment 87671
Danny should raffle off the poster sized copies of the trophy that he brought with the team throughout the tournament for NIL money. At $20 a ticket I bet they can sell thousands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom