Nice reading other teams' forums now | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nice reading other teams' forums now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's the thing about the Syracuse board. There is a small group of them that bash UConn when they have the ammo and disappear when something like this happens. However, I think most of them over there accept that UConn has surpassed them. If they are angry, then it is almost always directed at Boeheim and the fact that they get their hopes up every year only to fall short.

Not gonna lie, if roles were reversed I'd be pissed off too.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Driving back late last night, my girl asked me (who is new to this whole thing) about Syracuse, being upstate NY's it's a logical question. She asked if we were rivals, and for the first time ever, I said, "NO they aren't rivals, the Lion doesn't concern himself with the feelings of the sheep"

That's how it is now Syracuse fans. You are hunted and we are the hunters

Syracuse = toilet paper.

When you need to drop a deuce reach for the Cuse.

Reaction Score
CTO comes to my house for Christmas - at this point, she's family and has been for years.

But you're right - we can complain about the Syracuse board, but if she tried to post here, some internet tough guy would make it unpleasant for her...which is why she doesn't.
Right. And I think the board misses consistent opposing points of view...That we don't get it is in part because we drive it away, and in part that some of what comes here is crazy. Although, I do read the Realignment board in part because some of the people who have come over and posted are pretty cool cats.

Reaction Score
I frequent the Cuse board and I have to say that most of them have a lot of respect for our program and its accomplishments. Those who try to find ways to rationalize that their program is better, or that JB is better than Calhoun or Ollie are usually shot down.

Many Syracuse fans are waking up to regret that we are no longer in the same conference, which is rather ironic. What Syracuse and their fans failed to recognize is that without an arch-rival, victories are not as sweet. Syracuse will probably never be Duke or UNC's arch rival. Never. The novelty of Duke-Syracuse was great for one year, but it won't last because Cuse will never out-recruit Duke or even UNC.

BC made the same mistake. As did Florida State and Virginia Tech. You're only as good, or as interesting as your biggest rivalries. No one cares about beating a BC, or even being beaten by them. And no one in Syracuse is going to get excited about competing against Wake or Clemson, or even NC State. Yet Skins-Cowboys is still a big deal even when both teams are mediocre.

Syracuse has as much risk of fading into irrelevance as we do, perhaps more.

If Hopkins ends up as JC's successor, regardless how good a coach he is, the Orange are still going to lose attractiveness. UNC, UCLA and Indiana faded after their famed coaches retired, because they thought coaching was a monarchy and rewarded a loyal foot soldier. UConn's Ollie is the only Man-That-Followed-The-Man to succeed. And that happened because Calhoun cared enough that he made certain the right man took over for him. And he had to resort to drastic means to make it happen.

Sorry Cuse, but unless you get a top notch, and well-known, coach to succeed JB, you're going to serve time in basketball purgatory, if not hell. And if UConn ends up in the B1G, or even stays in the AAC, you lose. BC still doesn't recognize how UConn being in the ACC can lift their program, and they probably never will. In sports, you're only as good as your rivalries.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's the thing about the Syracuse board. There is a small group of them that bash UConn when they have the ammo and disappear when something like this happens. However, I think most of them over there accept that UConn has surpassed them. If they are angry, then it is almost always directed at Boeheim and the fact that they get their hopes up every year only to fall short.

They're just now accepting that UConn has surpassed them? It happened like 10 years ago.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
This is the kind of post that's not needed here. We're better. Be better with grace.

Just my snarky, sophomoric attempt to jab the BE rival I most respected prior to learning they actively lobbied against our ACC invite. I sincerely lost all respect for that program long ago because of that. No intent to gloat.

But you're probably right.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just my snarky, sophomoric attempt to jab the BE rival I most respected prior to learning they actively lobbied against our ACC invite. I sincerely lost all respect for that program long ago because of that. No intent to gloat.

But you're probably right.

This is not an outrageous stance. Their athletic director bragged that he "had to tell the tale of Louisville" to the ACC. In that sense, Syracuse and Boston College seem proud of their efforts to diminish UConn. Conversely, all UConn has done to either is beat them.

But the average Syracuse fan had nothing to do with that.

Reaction Score
Sorry Cuse, but unless you get a top notch, and well-known, coach to succeed JB, you're going to serve time in basketball purgatory, if not hell. And if UConn ends up in the B1G, or even stays in the AAC, you lose. BC still doesn't recognize how UConn being in the ACC can lift their program, and they probably never will. In sports, you're only as good as your rivalries.
It's actually kind of sad to think JB may be the downfall of Syracuse basketball. His recruits have not exactly been the brightest light bulbs.

Reaction Score
Quse is quickly replacing Dook as my second least favorite team (G-Town -PE-TOOWEY!! still has that crown). If they only won games that mattered or really mattered in the post season year to year they might even have a chance to take the number one spot of "the team I like the least in the NCAA".

Their administration is a bunch of idiots. It would not surprise me to see them fall off the map after JB retires and that is right around the corner- they are a lot closer to being irrelevant then we are- and the reason is -we have KO and they do not.

Reaction Score
This is not an outrageous stance. Their athletic director bragged that he "had to tell the tale of Louisville" to the ACC. In that sense, Syracuse and Boston College seem proud of their efforts to diminish UConn. Conversely, all UConn has done to either is beat them.

I am finding that it's the same thing with the RU internet fan base as well. They claim that it's not a zero sum game, and that if we get added to the Big Ten it would hurt them in terms of recruits etc. I don't go on opposing message fan's message boards to stir up, but they reaylly should understand that whatever conference UConn is will not in any way affect their results on the court/field. In our worst stretch of 1a football we beat them 2 out of 3 in football with P. Our basketball programs could be in a conference on the moon and I doubt it would matter much. We don't even recruit NJ like that for BBall.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score

Agreed.

I actually have a lot of extended family from greater Syracuse who are generally quite likeable. My cousin in fact rooted for UConn once Cuse went down.

I should have taken the time to have read the thread instead of merely seeing "Syracuse" and reacting like an immature savage. If i could go back in time, I would have been more precise and tried something like:

Syracuse administrators responsible for black balling Connecticut = Short-sighted, insecure and extremely unlikeable folks

When my bowels act up, I run to the nearest watercloset, close the door and keep my toilet paper choices to myself.....

Reaction Score
Cuse fans have been humbled... too bad that wont last long. they'll back with their bs in a couple of months

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am finding that it's the same thing with the RU internet fan base as well. They claim that it's not a zero sum game, and that if we get added to the Big Ten it would hurt them in terms of recruits etc...

We might have a weird mentality up here in the northeast.

Carolina and Duke would never dream of separating. Alabama and Auburn live for their games against each other. Ditto for Michigan and Ohio State.

The northeast?

Syracuse can't get away from Georgetown fast enough. Boston College would drink Drano before engaging UConn. Providence and UConn probably lost each other's phone numbers four seconds after the C7 split. Rutgers will call UConn for a game the day after the world ends. UConn has 2,374 unread messages in the inbox from UMass.

I don't get it. The rest of the planet lives for rivalries - we live to end them. That's why I am certain we'll never join the ACC - the surest voting block against us is our former conference mates.

Reaction Score

Has Connecticut ever been behind them?

Reaction Score
I frequent the Cuse board and I have to say that most of them have a lot of respect for our program and its accomplishments. Those who try to find ways to rationalize that their program is better, or that JB is better than Calhoun or Ollie are usually shot down.

Many Syracuse fans are waking up to regret that we are no longer in the same conference, which is rather ironic. What Syracuse and their fans failed to recognize is that without an arch-rival, victories are not as sweet. Syracuse will probably never be Duke or UNC's arch rival. Never. The novelty of Duke-Syracuse was great for one year, but it won't last because Cuse will never out-recruit Duke or even UNC.

BC made the same mistake. As did Florida State and Virginia Tech. You're only as good, or as interesting as your biggest rivalries. No one cares about beating a BC, or even being beaten by them. And no one in Syracuse is going to get excited about competing against Wake or Clemson, or even NC State. Yet Skins-Cowboys is still a big deal even when both teams are mediocre.

Syracuse has as much risk of fading into irrelevance as we do, perhaps more.

If Hopkins ends up as JC's successor, regardless how good a coach he is, the Orange are still going to lose attractiveness. UNC, UCLA and Indiana faded after their famed coaches retired, because they thought coaching was a monarchy and rewarded a loyal foot soldier. UConn's Ollie is the only Man-That-Followed-The-Man to succeed. And that happened because Calhoun cared enough that he made certain the right man took over for him. And he had to resort to drastic means to make it happen.

Totally agree. F*#*kin FB killed most rivalries

Reaction Score

Carolina and Duke would never dream of separating. Alabama and Auburn live for their games against each other. Ditto for Michigan and Ohio State.

The northeast?

Syracuse can't get away from Georgetown fast enough. Boston College would drink Drano before engaging UConn. Providence and UConn probably lost each other's phone numbers four seconds after the C7 split. Rutgers will call UConn for a game the day after the world ends. UConn has 2,374 unread messages in the inbox from UMass.

I don't get it. The rest of the planet lives for rivalries - we live to end them. That's why I am certain we'll never join the ACC - the surest voting block against us is our former conference mates.

I've been trying to say this for a while. It doesn't make sense that these teams don't want to play against each other. You can hate a program, but don't stop playing them. The Northeast is in a weak position because NE colleges don't think twice before breaking up old valuable rivalries. Is not all about the short-term gains. If you break these rivalries, you take away a piece of the attractiveness of the games and in the long-run will probably lose a significant following. This is why I root for the Northeast and want all our teams to play against each others and do well. It only helps everyone, and keep CBB relevant in our region.

Football has placed our region in such an uncomfortable, unsustainable position. The top schools are split across four conferences (ACC, B1G, BigE, AAC) and they don't play each other. Meanwhile, you choose to play a "rival" a 15 hour drive from your home which wont spice things up, fans wont travel, kills everything.

Oh well, I can only dream now...

Reaction Score

The northeast?

They think they'll own the neighborhood without us, but really it just dilutes their product. When JC became the coach at UConn his recruiting pitch was to sell our rivalries. He would tell recruits they would have a chance to compete against Georgetown, St. Johns, etc. If one man was able to see this, why can't these schools?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
CTO comes to my house for Christmas - at this point, she's family and has been for years.

But you're right - we can complain about the Syracuse board, but if she tried to post here, some internet tough guy would make it unpleasant for her...which is why she doesn't.

Actually, I think something like that happened earlier this year on something pretty innocuous when she may have been attempting to offer something helpful. It made me cringe and answered my question, "How come she doesn't post anymore?"
I realized it wasn't just, "Shoo, shoo, Orange flu."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Oh the butt hurt that Payday must be feeling over in Cinci has got to be epic. I bet he openly cried when KO was cutting the net last night.
C'mon that happened 36 hours ago. Ancient history. What have you done for me lately? Oh yeah, the women won too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom