Nice Hurley Interview | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nice Hurley Interview

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Clingan is a known quantity as is Spencer. Saying Clingan isn't a known quantity is absurd.
I get the point he's making. Donovan's role is going to be dramatically expanded this year. But, yeah, it's not like last year when it was unclear what he would contribute at the college level.

CL82

Reaction Score
"Will we repeat as national champions?" instead of "can we finally sneak into the bubble?"
"Will we repeat as national champions?"
instead of
"Is this the year I am finally indicted?"

CL82

Reaction Score
Put me squarely in the camp that doesn't care what Hurley wears. Dude can run practice naked if it means we win games for all I care.
Isn't running naked practice is more of a Kevin Bannon thing?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I get the point he's making. Donovan's role is going to be dramatically expanded this year. But, yeah, it's not like last year when it was unclear what he would contribute at the college level.
I compared him to Hawkins. I think that's fair. It was clear to us by the end of his freshman year that Hawkins would likely be a hell of a player as a sophomore, and he was. I feel the same way about Donovan. But it's never a given until it happens.

Reaction Score
I compared him to Hawkins. I think that's fair. It was clear to us by the end of his freshman year that Hawkins would likely be a hell of a player as a sophomore, and he was. I feel the same way about Donovan. But it's never a given until it happens.
Its the old "not a matter of if, but when" or in DC's case, "not a matter of good, but how good??"

Reaction Score
Everyone's role will be expanded from last year. We lost our three most productive players from last season plus productive bench players.

Reaction Score
It's never a given that any player improves. Clingan, Newton, and Karaban will all be asked to do more now. It doesn't mean they aren't already known quantities.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's never a given that any player improves. Clingan, Newton, and Karaban will all be asked to do more now. It doesn't mean they aren't already known quantities.
Come on. Newton started all year, so did Karaban. Newton is in his 5th season, it doesn't get more known than that. His "more" is not at all comparable to two guys who played 29 minutes a game on a championship team. It is similar to Hawkins a year ago, and I have no doubt he's worked very hard to have a similar jump. You can argue Hawk was a "known quantity" too I suppose, I just disagree.

Reaction Score
Come on. Newton started all year, so did Karaban. Newton is in his 5th season, it doesn't get more known than that. His "more" is not at all comparable to two guys who played 29 minutes a game on a championship team. It is similar to Hawkins a year ago, and I have no doubt he's worked very hard to have a similar jump. You can argue Hawk was a "known quantity" too I suppose, I just disagree.
Come on. Clingan didn't play as much because he was backing up arguably the best big in the country. Newton started and played huge minutes because there was no point guard competition and Karaban started and played huge minutes because Samson was out and there was nobody else for him to share minutes with. Clingan was far more productive/impactful in his minutes than both of them which is why he's the first name people bring up when they talk about UConn this coming season. He was one of the few most impactful players in all of college basketball per minute last season. He's a known quantity to everyone except for you.

Hawkins was basically the anti-Clingan. Many of us UConn fans knew he had the talent/ability but he wasn't at all a proven quantity as a freshman. He had a poor freshman season and didn't even play in the Big East tournament or the NCAA tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom