Nice Hurley Interview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nice Hurley Interview

Reaction Score
He's doesn't seem as high on Castle right now.

C'mon. He is motivating Castle. Half the conversation was about head games, and he even talked about manufacturing motivational fuel. Notice how how immediately followed the Solo Ball praise by critiquing his defense. My bet is that he is as high as a Georgia pine about Castle.

Reaction Score
C'mon. He is motivating Castle. Half the conversation was about head games, and he even talked about manufacturing motivational fuel. Notice how how immediately followed the Solo Ball praise by critiquing his defense. My bet is that he is as high as a Georgia pine about Castle.
Yeah Stewart in his interview (paraphrasing) said that Castle was clearly the best freshman, so I'm not too concerned.

It basically just sounds like Hurley is trying to get Castle's defense up to UConn starter caliber. We're serious about rotations.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting good interview. Would like to have heard if Stewart is catching up in his view but good stuff.

Alternate access:

Jaylin Stewart enjoying start of UConn men's basketball career with 'best friends for life'

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thats was in regards to his defense. He said the schemes are complex.
I thought he made the complex defense comment about Solo, but yeah Hurley has an elite level defense. I liked his throwaway comment that we will have a top 5 offense and a top 10 defense. I also like his comment that the freshman will be material contributors. I can't wait to see what the team actually looks like when we start playing games.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He's doesn't seem as high on Castle right now.
I wouldn't say that. It came through as he's not a surprise because he's come in as a top 10 one and done type player. So he can't stand out as exceeding expectations like the other kids. As much praised as he heaped on Ball, he mentioned he didn't even know he was making defensive mistakes a week ago. So effectively he's saying the same thing about all freshman. They are in the acclimation phase to the playbook, and our system isn't easy.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yeah Stewart in his interview (paraphrasing) said that Castle was clearly the best freshman, so I'm not too concerned.

It basically just sounds like Hurley is trying to get Castle's defense up to UConn starter caliber. We're serious about rotations.

#3 offense #60 Defense is not the goal. (Im no math guy or anything)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought he made the complex defense comment about Solo, but yeah Hurley has an elite level defense. I liked his throwaway comment that we will have a top 5 offense and a top 10 defense. I also like his comment that the freshman will be material contributors. I can't wait to see what the team actually looks like when we start playing games.
It's late enough now that all the speculation is just maddening. So much hyperbole about all of these guys and I'm just ready to see them play. We have two known quantities, Newton and Karaban. Clingan is in a new, expanded role and we have super high expectations for him as a starter. High expectations for Castle and Spencer as well. Lower expectations for the other freshmen, but a lot of hope for Ball, Stewart and Ross to emerge as bench contributors. I'm sure there will be surprises. Both positive and negative most likely.

Reaction Score
It's late enough now that all the speculation is just maddening. So much hyperbole about all of these guys and I'm just ready to see them play. We have two known quantities, Newton and Karaban. Clingan is in a new, expanded role and we have super high expectations for him as a starter. High expectations for Castle and Spencer as well. Lower expectations for the other freshmen, but a lot of hope for Ball, Stewart and Ross to emerge as bench contributors. I'm sure there will be surprises. Both positive and negative most likely.
Clingan is a known quantity as is Spencer. Saying Clingan isn't a known quantity is absurd.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You know what is refreshing about expectations going into season? It’s “ will Donovan’s foot be ok by season opener”. “ will castle live up to hype”

Not “ will my starting 5 be in jail for assault” or “ is this the year my coaches rug hits the floor in live action”

At least you picked the right team!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Alternate access:

Jaylin Stewart enjoying start of UConn men's basketball career with 'best friends for life'

I like hearing that Stewart is 6-7 and 220-225 lbs. Sounds around Donny's playing size in his later years at Uconn. Help out on the boards as well as run and shoot. I'm loving everything I hear both for the returnees and the incoming kids.

Can't say enough nice things about the staff. Hurley sounded very humble (teachable) in talking about JC, Gino and his Dad in seeking their input. Pages and pages of notes. Hear it, write it, see it and then teach it. Very thorough. He has to be more
formidable as a head coach after handling last season so well;
especially down the stretch.

Reaction Score
You know what is refreshing about expectations going into season? It’s “ will Donovan’s foot be ok by season opener”. “ will castle live up to hype”

Not “ will my starting 5 be in jail for assault” or “ is this the year my coaches rug hits the floor in live action”

I’m dying to see if Hurley wears that hat and the blingy Husky necklace at First Night.

Although the following statement should be moved to the WBB board, given the spooky Friday the 13th theme of FN this year, I would love for Paige to entrance to the event Undertaker-style.

Reaction Score

"Will we repeat as national champions?" instead of "can we finally sneak into the bubble?"

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He is coaching throughout the whole interview. He was enforcing the points he has made to these players one on one. The way he started with DC and keeping him off his foot. I can see it now, he is in the boot the foot does not hurt and DC is just a really personable guy. The friendly giant. He loves people and it’s tough to socialize by sitting in rehab or his room. The rest is also interesting. Ball got praise and my guess is Hurley wants him to stay confident. Castle he is coaching up to play better defense and earn a spot in the starting five. Pretty much telling him everyone knows your great but on this squad everything is earned. Sounds to me like he understands Castle is great and that leads to him playing outside the system and relying on his god given ability too much. Hurley is making sure he learns to use those same gifts with in the system the team is playing. How smart is that, while he is teaching the first one and done we have had since Drummond how he needs to play, he is showing the rest of the team that nothing is given everything is earned. Hurley is just so impressive on how well he understands human behavior. This guy has spent his whole life learning his craft. We found the next great coach. He is going to get Jay Wright type hype when it comes to college basketball. I loved it when they hired him, told my sons this was a guy that was capable of putting us on the map again and buy has he ever made that happen.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

I always wondered what that was on his head. Very creative insulting a whole program with out even a mention of the school.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Clingan is a known quantity as is Spencer. Saying Clingan isn't a known quantity is absurd.
He has never played starter minutes. He’s like Hawk was coming into last year. We all expect he will take a big step up and be excellent as a starter, but he hasn’t done it yet.

Reaction Score

All the speculation surrounding Kansas is maddening, there's just so much hyperbole. They have one known quantity.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Andrea picked that cap out for him. He looks ridiculous with the flat brim.

Yes, I'm ignoring all the important content to comment on a dumb fashion choice. That's how ridiculous I find that cap.
Why do you care how Hurley chooses to dress? Let the man be himself

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Why do you care how Hurley chooses to dress? Let the man be himself
a) because he looks like a dope. Flat brims are a young man's thing, if it's even still a thing
b) because he represents UConn

But have your way. Have him wear baggy jeans halfway down his ass to complement the cap during the next presser.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom