Nice article on A. Gilbert's Trainer former Uconn player Robert Swain | The Boneyard

Nice article on A. Gilbert's Trainer former Uconn player Robert Swain

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good for Rob to have gone what he went through and come out the other side with a great attitude and the perseverance to build a business out of his love for the game. And props to JC for taking those collect calls when Rob was at the bottom.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Having felt like he lost it all, it was basketball and his relationships developed through the game that keep him sane. His former head coach Jim Calhoun was the recipient of many collect calls and answered them every time.

Not the first time we've heard this. I love Calhoun. He's just an outstanding guy.

Reaction Score
Pretty cool story/connection. However, Swain in no way was a top 50 recruit. He was a late season add on because he supposedly could shoot. He was the Chad Wise, Jamaal Trice, Ben Eaves type of recruit. Fill out a roster and hope.

I always thought Swain got screwed in a way because he obviously was not ready to contribute and seemed like a likely redshirt when JC inserted him for a handful of useless minutes out of desperation costing him his freshman year. I know that's the "business," but it was pointless. On the other side, how awesome is it that despite the fact Swain transferred, he went to JC. And how much "awesomer" is it that JC was there to answer the call. Very cool.

Reaction Score
"Regarded as a Top 50 recruit, Swain committed to UConn and rounded out a recruiting class that included McDonald’s All-Americans Taliek Brown and Scott Hazelton, Caron Butler and Johnnie Selvie. The following year with the additions of Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor".

Jeez. Talk about a recruiting haul in back to back years. Swain and Hazelton didn't exactly pan out. But man that's quite a recruiting stretch.

KO seems to be heading us back in that direction.

Reaction Score
Also, not sure why some posters aren't expecting Alterique to contribute much next year (per another thread).

I get tempering expectations and all, but this kid is a stud. Whereas it took Adams time to adjust to college because it looked like he relied much more on his freakish athleticism in high school/prep, Gilbert looks like more polished and capable at running a team right away.

For comparison, Tyler Ulis was similarly ranked and is actually smaller than Gilbert and he was able to impact a loaded Ky team right away. Not saying I expect Gilbert to be an all- american next year, but I don't see any reason that he wont have an impact and even run the team for large stretches. Looks like a natural point guard/ facilitator.

Reaction Score
Kid was going to be a decent player for sure, but the timing wasn't good for him too bad. What happened legally to him, does anyone know?

C

Chief00

Like the story - the kid will be tough - I guarantee!

As for JC and Clyde - they were always there for the guys - no matter how bad the situation. Players respect that as do former players.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Also, not sure why some posters aren't expecting Alterique to contribute much next year (per another thread).

I get tempering expectations and all, but this kid is a stud. Whereas it took Adams time to adjust to college because it looked like he relied much more on his freakish athleticism in high school/prep, Gilbert looks like more polished and capable at running a team right away.

For comparison, Tyler Ulis was similarly ranked and is actually smaller than Gilbert and he was able to impact a loaded Ky team right away. Not saying I expect Gilbert to be an all- american next year, but I don't see any reason that he wont have an impact and even run the team for large stretches. Looks like a natural point guard/ facilitator.

Mainly, because we've had only 1 or 2 freshman PG 'studs' in 30 years. KEA and maybe Doron (older thogh). Kemba, Shabazz, et al were nothing really special their freshman years. Decent players, contributers for sure, but not huge impact guys.

The posts in that thread are a response to the idea that AG will come in, grab the reigns from day one, and guide the team deep into the NCAAs. Some people said Adams was going to be a starter, and maybe the best player in the back court from day one. Just not realistic.

People think AG will contribute, but Adams and Purv are probably going to be the guys in the back court. Who knows though, maybe he's the second coming of KEA. Which I would sign up for in half a second.

Reaction Score
He was basically a mule in a keystone cops type drug deal. Nothing violent, just dumb.

Thanks, didn't know. Glad he got his life back and is doing good things and the JC thing jus blows me away. You wonder how many things he's done for his "kids" that we just know nothing about - great great coach and even a better guy.

Reaction Score
HCJC gets some good pub, but not enough. Many know him as the tough New Englander, but he really is very compassionate and goes above and beyond for his guys.

He's a super person and a true rock for player AFTER they graduate.

So many of these guys don't have another positive male role model or dad in their lives.
JC provides that is truly cares for his players.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Having felt like he lost it all, it was basketball and his relationships developed through the game that keep him sane. His former head coach Jim Calhoun was the recipient of many collect calls and answered them every time.

Not the first time we've heard this. I love Calhoun. He's just an outstanding guy.

The one time I met JC, I wanted to let him know I was aware of him pre-UConn so I said, "My brother went to Northeastern when you were there. He was a big Mark Halsel fan." JC's face lit up and said, "I was just talking with Mark last night..."

Fun Fact: I checked Google to make sure I spelled his name right and apparently Halsel won $168,000 on Deal or No Deal.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

I also see Gilbert as having the potential to challenge for significant minutes next year. He has a seriousness and focus that makes him seem more ready. Could be completely wrong, but I think Alterique and Jalen will find greatness together.

C

Chief00

Yes, Calhoun really does care. Stairmaster you can call me part of JCs old loyalist crew or whatever you want - I don't view that as a negative. The NCAA side of the Nate Miles saga really boiled down to Nate getting his knee taken care of before going to UConn - maybe a violation of an NCAA rule but certainly the intent was in Nate's best interest.

Reaction Score
HCJC gets some good pub, but not enough. Many know him as the tough New Englander, but he really is very compassionate and goes above and beyond for his guys.

He's a super person and a true rock for player AFTER they graduate.

So many of these guys don't have another positive male role model or dad in their lives.
JC provides that is truly cares for his players.
Great story, and im sure there are 100 more that are just like this. Jim Calhoun genuinely cared about all of his players, and I really think its a shame that people from the outside view him as a mean bully who was too tough on his players. I always got the impression Calhoun's sideline antics were for show a lot of the time. He felt that tough love was the best way to get through to his players to better them on and especially off the court. For the way people saw Calhoun treat his players during games, you never hear anything bad said about him by his former players. Its nothing but praise.

Reaction Score
Mainly, because we've had only 1 or 2 freshman PG 'studs' in 30 years. KEA and maybe Doron (older thogh). Kemba, Shabazz, et al were nothing really special their freshman years. Decent players, contributers for sure, but not huge impact guys.

The posts in that thread are a response to the idea that AG will come in, grab the reigns from day one, and guide the team deep into the NCAAs. Some people said Adams was going to be a starter, and maybe the best player in the back court from day one. Just not realistic.

People think AG will contribute, but Adams and Purv are probably going to be the guys in the back court. Who knows though, maybe he's the second coming of KEA. Which I would sign up for in half a second.

I disagree I did think Kemba was a very good freshman year, he was playing behind aj so he had a limited role but I thought he transitioned well. All freshman make mistakes but I thought he played very well in his role. I think AG could have a similar year to Kemba while getting slightly more minutes as no one will be as entrenched as AJ was, maybe stud isn't the best word but I thought Kemba was great in his role and AG can be similar in my eyes

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I remember Robert Swain
I don't know what landed him in trouble but this story makes me SMILE
Thanks for posting this

Reaction Score
Thanks, didn't know. Glad he got his life back and is doing good things and the JC thing jus blows me away. You wonder how many things he's done for his "kids" that we just know nothing about - great great coach and even a better guy.

Exactly!! Thats the thing that i love so much about this program. Yea we are good year after year that helps, but you can just see from the outside looking in that there is so much more to it than basketball. Obviously JC cares about his guys no matter where life takes them. this guy transfered out of Uconn and still kept in contact with JC. Its on thing to say, keep in touch I'm here for you, and its another to actually do it. I think about all the places i've worked and people that have come and gone from my life.. JC sticks to his guys and is always there for them and doesnt need the media to take notice. There is something to be said about the program imo, starts at the top (JC) and trickles all the way down.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great article.
JC has flaws. Who doesn't. But his strengths strongly outweigh his weaknesses. His caring is deep. And his guidance is strong and valuable.
That relationship between JC and Robert is paying dividends. Probably a major reason UConn got Gilbert. If Gilbert succeeds expect a pipeline of players from Swain to UConn.

Reaction Score

It's not even a question of whether Alterique is capable. The team will live and die by him because there are no other options. He's going to see a lot of time. He's the 3rd guard.

A good comparison for him may be Taliek who had to take over the reins immediately when he stepped foot on campus. Khalid didn't have to take them over, but he did.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, Calhoun really does care. Stairmaster you can call me part of JCs old loyalist crew or whatever you want - I don't view that as a negative. The NCAA side of the Nate Miles saga really boiled down to Nate getting his knee taken care of before going to UConn - maybe a violation of an NCAA rule but certainly the intent was in Nate's best interest.
Perhaps, but Calhoun and Connecticut had nothing to that. The issue was a former manager trying to become an agent. He saw Nate as his meal ticket and over reached, which screwed us over.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's not even a question of whether Alterique is capable. The team will live and die by him because there are no other options. He's going to see a lot of time. He's the 3rd guard.

A good comparison for him may be Taliek who had to take over the reins immediately when he stepped foot on campus. Khalid didn't have to take them over, but he did.

Taliek did not have a PG Jalen Adams type next to him. Jalen may not be a pure point, but with offseason development, and a likely soph jump, he'll definitely be the lead PG. He's got it in him, attitude, talent and skill wise. Alterique is probably more comparable to a Shabazz/Kemba situation, with Soph Jalen not having as high of an upside as Jr Kemba.

C

Chief00

Perhaps, but Calhoun and Connecticut had nothing to that. The issue was a former manager trying to become an agent. He saw Nate as his meal ticket and over reached, which screwed us over.

You have no clue how things went down. Continue reading Mark Emmert talking points!

CL82

Reaction Score
You have no clue how things went down. Continue reading Mark Emmert talking points!
So your saying that Mark Emmert concocted a false narrative to hide that Calhoun paid for Miles surgery?

Riiiiiight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog