Ngongba Visiting October 13th (First Night) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ngongba Visiting October 13th (First Night)

Reaction Score
Ngongba and Banchero are very different players that were going to college with very different expectations

If he wants to go for one and done, maybe Duke is the place for him. If he knows he can’t or shouldn’t go one and done, well….we have a championship center, who could have been a first round pick after year 1, and has a real shot at being a lottery pick after year 2. That’s where I’d want to go

K State is a very likeable program with a very likeable coach. I don’t know much about them, but I’d assume they would be a good pick too

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's weird you would double down on this.
Nobody focuses on what matters. My post said we had great success with a guy who has a game more similar to PN, so if that matters to him we'd be a good fit. He can envision how he fits in our system and how we'd use him.

I just get tired of the silly posts here where posters proclaim that a player would be stupid to go to Duke or Kansas or whatever because they don't have our track record of producing players at their position. But yes, I am wrong on Banchero because I was thinking about Lively. The point remains, lottery pick center from Duke. Mark Williams went 15th in the draft. Duke isn't having any trouble developing centers.

pj

Reaction Score
Ngongba and Banchero are very different players that were going to college with very different expectations

If he wants to go for one and done, maybe Duke is the place for him. If he knows he can’t or shouldn’t go one and done, well….we have a championship center, who could have been a first round pick after year 1, and has a real shot at being a lottery pick after year 2. That’s where I’d want to go

K State is a very likeable program with a very likeable coach. I don’t know much about them, but I’d assume they would be a good pick too

Danny will support one-and-done strategies, as Castle will illustrate. With Clingan leaving there will be no one to stop him from as much time as he can take -- Samson can play the 4 so they won't be competitive for minutes.

I wonder if his decision will be connected to Flagg's. Both UConn and Duke need a center and if Cooper and Ngongba pair up at either school, it would become the favorite for a national championship. That might tempt them to go together.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Nobody focuses on what matters. My post said we had great success with a guy who has a game more similar to PN, so if that matters to him we'd be a good fit. He can envision how he fits in our system and how we'd use him.

I just get tired of the silly posts here where posters proclaim that a player would be stupid to go to Duke or Kansas or whatever because they don't have our track record of producing players at their position. But yes, I am wrong on Banchero because I was thinking about Lively. The point remains, lottery pick center from Duke. Mark Williams went 15th in the draft. Duke isn't having any trouble developing centers.
Duke or Kansas would be fine for a center, but don't fool yourself on Williams. He was a 5* recruit out of high school, had a chance to be one-and-done, but wasn't a lottery pick after his sophomore year. I'd argue that he would have developed better under the tutelage of Hurley and company.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

Nobody said they don’t have a track record of producing pro centers. I said it’s tough to develop at duke (at any position really) if you’re a multi year player because they’re going to recruit a 5-star, maybe top 10 player at your position nearly every year. Kansas is actually quite different than duke or Kentucky in that regard.

You’re conflating some of the ridiculous claims related to flaggs recruitment with ngongbas and parlaying that into a ridiculous take on banchero—who was literally top 2 in every ranking coming into duke and played facing up putting the ball and the floor and shooting perimeter shots, and was never considered anything other than a pf.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nobody said they don’t have a track record of producing pro centers. I said it’s tough to develop at duke (at any position really) if you’re a multi year player because they’re going to recruit a 5-star, maybe top 10 player at your position nearly every year. Kansas is actually quite different than duke or Kentucky in that regard.

You’re conflating some of the ridiculous claims related to flaggs recruitment with ngongbas and parlaying that into a ridiculous take on banchero—who was literally top 2 in every ranking coming into duke and played facing up putting the ball and the floor and shooting perimeter shots, and was never considered anything other than a pf.
Not worth arguing about anymore. The point was a more subtle one to your much earlier post where you said the case for Ngongba coming to UConn vs other schools for development was "obvious". Simply disagreed with that, even though I think the case is strong. I wrongly mentioned Banchero instead of Lively. We both agreed the case isn't there for Flagg, who will be fine wherever (I do think his roster fit is better at UConn or KU than Duke).

Let's land this guy. On that we can all agree.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Was there an initial joke/origin with this that I missed?
@FriarJ said ngongba was a lock to ksu but also pc had as good a chance as anyone

Prob a bad reaction to us being arrogant and spoiled

Reaction Score
Fine. You want to hear how dumb this is? No one said it wouldn't be great to have had Flagg here for Midnight Madness. People said it was not a big deal that he visited at another time. A UConn fan saying maybe it's a good thing that Ngongba is coming here for Midnight Madness, and wouldn't it be great if that causes him to commit, is not a statement that it makes a material difference. It's hopefulness (which you seem to despise but hey, you do your schtick). It's far, far more likely that someone coming to a school for a Midnight Madness shows that they are very serious about that school to begin with then that being there for that night is going to be a key in making their decision. And, by the way, even if I thought there was a glimmer of a chance that missing a MIdnight Madness is a huge disadvantage in a normal case, it certainly wouldn't be one for someone who has the benefits of having had a parent play Division 1 hoops and being at a school the primary purpose of which is to attract and develop Division 1 athletes where you know he has an intelligent team helping him make the decision.

Are you happy now that you forced someone to slam dunk on you, rather than leaving well enough alone?
Two handed or just one?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hearing it’s
1. UConn
2. Duke
3. Michigan
4. Kansas
5. Indiana

Rumor has it he wants to play for a coach he can trust, who is a good character man
Did Kansas get nuked?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom