Ngongba Visiting October 13th (First Night) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ngongba Visiting October 13th (First Night)

Reaction Score
How much do recruits talk to each other? Is it possible a 4 and 5 like Flagg and Ngongbo want to play together, and Flagg let Ngongbo know his visit to UConn went really well?

This is tinfoil hat stuff, I know.
The timing of Ngongbo's announcement is certainly interesting, but it could just be coincidence.

Reaction Score
ghosts side GIF
Fine. You want to hear how dumb this is? No one said it wouldn't be great to have had Flagg here for Midnight Madness. People said it was not a big deal that he visited at another time. A UConn fan saying maybe it's a good thing that Ngongba is coming here for Midnight Madness, and wouldn't it be great if that causes him to commit, is not a statement that it makes a material difference. It's hopefulness (which you seem to despise but hey, you do your schtick). It's far, far more likely that someone coming to a school for a Midnight Madness shows that they are very serious about that school to begin with then that being there for that night is going to be a key in making their decision. And, by the way, even if I thought there was a glimmer of a chance that missing a MIdnight Madness is a huge disadvantage in a normal case, it certainly wouldn't be one for someone who has the benefits of having had a parent play Division 1 hoops and being at a school the primary purpose of which is to attract and develop Division 1 athletes where you know he has an intelligent team helping him make the decision.

Are you happy now that you forced someone to slam dunk on you, rather than leaving well enough alone?

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree on this. I don’t think you’re understanding what I was trying to say. Maybe it’s my fault whatever don’t care.

PN is coming to an event that allows him to get the full UConn hoops experience. I’m very happy about that.

If what’s been reported about Flagg holding his decision until Spring to give us another opportunity, I’m happy about that too.
Good take on the late announcement. If UConn has another deep run and Scheyer underachieves again and gets further exposed, that can’t hurt our chances.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Good take on the late announcement. If UConn has another deep run and Scheyer underachieves again and gets further exposed, that can’t hurt our chances.
I also think Duke is less likely to wait to fill their class out than we are. Which may also help.

They already have 3 top 50 SFs and they’re still pursuing VJ.

Not that he wouldn’t play over all of them anyways.

Reaction Score
I also think Duke is less likely to wait to fill their class out than we are. Which may also help.

Scholarship openings would be irrelevant here though. They’d just sweeten the NIL pot enough to cover tuition and have him walk on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Duke doesn't know who is going to play. You can't project VJ as better based on a recruiting ranking. TJ Power is also probably not going in the draft, so a top 20 PF, as a sophomore, will also be around. They may get Cooper, but there is a serious lack of playing time for forwards on that 2024 Duke roster.

Nagongba may well go to Duke, they are wide open at Center. They have nobody. Even this year Filipowski is going to need to play the 5. They will wait forever for PN because they are desperate as hell for a 5 and it's him or a transfer.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Duke doesn't know who is going to play. You can't project VJ as better based on a recruiting ranking. TJ Power is also probably not going in the draft, so a top 20 PF, as a sophomore, will also be around. They may get Cooper, but there is a serious lack of playing time for forwards on that 2024 Duke roster.

Nagongba may well go to Duke, they are wide open at Center. They have nobody. Even this year Filipowski is going to need to play the 5. They will wait forever for PN because they are desperate as hell for a 5 and it's him or a transfer.
My bad meant Flagg for the last part, not VJ.

And yeah the roster is wide open for PN. Would add to the excitement of getting him if it also means hurting Duke.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Flagg I don’t think we have a clear case as to why we’re his best option. Hopefully location matters to him.

For Ngongba on the other hand, I think we have a clear case as to why we’re his best option. While he’s a great, 5 star player, he doesn’t have a one and done profile. He’s likely to get minutes as a freshman at Duke, due to them missing on Bidunga, but you can bet they’ll recruit another 5 star center who they hope can take his minutes every year he stays in school. Ditto for Kentucky. K State, hard to see what edge they can have other than the family connection. As for UConn, we’ll put him on the sanogo/clingan development plan and he’ll get every chance to be the best player he can possibly be in storrs…not to mention play with his cousin and win 10 championships

Reaction Score
Flagg I don’t think we have a clear case as to why we’re his best option. Hopefully location matters to him.

For Ngongba on the other hand, I think we have a clear case as to why we’re his best option. While he’s a great, 5 star player, he doesn’t have a one and done profile. He’s likely to get minutes as a freshman at Duke, due to them missing on Bidunga, but you can bet they’ll recruit another 5 star center who they hope can take his minutes every year he stays in school. Ditto for Kentucky. K State, hard to see what edge they can have other than the family connection. As for UConn, we’ll put him on the sanogo/clingan development plan and he’ll get every chance to be the best player he can possibly be in storrs…not to mention play with his cousin and win 10 championships
We have an NBA caliber playbook that by all accounts is as detailed or more detailed than any other college program. Our offense would enable a player like Flagg to showcase his game and get ready for the next level arguably better than any other program. I get NIL, him growing up a Duke fan, their tradition, and the ACC. But if we are all UConn fans here and not recognizing what we do have to offer, then what are we even doing? We have a coaching staff that has successfully developed kids for the next level that have left UConn better players and people than they entered.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
We have an NBA caliber playbook that by all accounts is as detailed or more detailed than any other college program. Our offense would enable a player like Flagg to showcase his game and get ready for the next level arguably better than any other program. I get NIL, him growing up a Duke fan, their tradition, and the ACC. But if we are all UConn fans here and not recognizing what we do have to offer, then what are we even doing? We have a coaching staff that has successfully developed kids for the next level that have left UConn better players and people than they entered.
If you think there’s a definitive case that UConn will put Flagg in a better position than the other two schools on his list then you might actually be as obtuse as all of your posts would indicate. That doesnt mean that a case can’t be made but it would have to be pretty nuanced. …as opposed to the ngongba recruitment, for which the case to be made seems obvious

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you think there’s a definitive case that UConn will put Flagg in a better position than the other two schools on his list then you might actually be as obtuse as all of your posts would indicate. That doesnt mean that a case can’t be made but it would have to be pretty nuanced. …as opposed to the ngongba recruitment, for which the case to be made seems obvious
Flagg won't be impacted by any of those three schools. It takes a lot of hubris to think otherwise.

As for Ngongba, well the current NBA rookie of the year is a center who went to Duke. So the case is far from obvious there too. More so compared to K-State of course. I think his game is enough like Sanogo's that he can probably see how we'd use him and that we had success with guys like him. He's a fit for our system and what Dan wants to do. Banchero was a very different player.

Reaction Score
Flagg won't be impacted by any of those three schools. It takes a lot of hubris to think otherwise.

As for Ngongba, well the current NBA rookie of the year is a center who went to Duke. So the case is far from obvious there too. More so compared to K-State of course. I think his game is enough like Sanogo's that he can probably see how we'd use him and that we had success with guys like him. He's a fit for our system and what Dan wants to do. Banchero was a very different player.
Dude, Banchero isn't a center.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

Yeah, my point is that I don’t think ngongba is a one and done guy and duke is a tough development environment for multi year players given the way they recruit. They only reason they’re on him is he’s their best option after missing on the one and done big they were after.

Reaction Score
Insults mean you’ve lost the plot my guy. Nowhere did I say “a definitive case”. It’s been WELL documented how advanced UConn’s playbook is and how it’s an NBA offense. Maybe you’re not a truly loyal fan and deep down you bleed Dook blue?

Reaction Score
scheyer seems to be taking a page out of calamari's book on roster construction. rule #1- sign as many 5*s as possible regardless of position and hopefully it works itself out. i guess that's his only rule really.

Reaction Score
the current NBA rookie of the year is a center who went to Duke.
the magic's starting C is wendall carter, who did go to Duke, so you get partial credit

Reaction Score
scheyer seems to be taking a page out of calamari's book roster construction. rule #1- sign as many 5*s as possible regardless of position and hopefully it works itself out.
Do you think anybody is turning away 5 stars? Imagine a coach doing this and saying " I'd rather go with 4's and 3's because they'll stay longer".

Reaction Score
Do you think anybody is turning away 5 stars? Imagine a coach doing this and saying " I'd rather go with 4's and 3's because they'll stay longer".
who said the alternative to a 5* has to be a 3*? i'm not talking about going pro versus staying in school, i;m talking about not having a team of all SFs, so yeah maybe he should sign a 4* PG or C if necessary. and why are you even arguing with what is clearly a joke?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom