Ngongba Visiting October 13th (First Night) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Ngongba Visiting October 13th (First Night)

Orc

Reaction Score
So he posts a UConn picture while on his Duke visit and now we are outside the top 3? Not sure I believe that.
I think dook gets edgecomb and pat as well. Not sure how many commits dook has now but someones not going to be happy with their playing time

Reaction Score
On the light side of things, we can comfortably say that being seen having a great time at Ted's is not the catnip we thought it was. Maybe we miss Ajax as host on these visits. Just kidding....mostly. Remember was it Bunky that Chief said was the life of the party during the KO years I think? Those were interesting times.

Reaction Score
There is only a small number of guys who can turn your roster into championship potential. Flagg & Ngongba are two of those guys and there never was much else in 2024. Everybody else just keeps a team good, but you need a special dude or two like these guys. Disappointing IF we are out on both, but we'll figure it out. The pain isn't coming up short, it's that there is nowhere to pivot to. Our key 2024-25 players are on other teams this year or overseas. Provides a reason to watch A10, conference usa, and other leagues this year. I'm crossing my fingers on the apparent long shot that we have some juice left with these guys.
A Sanon reclass is all I can even think of and no idea if the kid wants to reclass or if UConn is high in his mind. The kid can play and we'll have minutes.

Reaction Score
The good news is that shooting can be found all over the portal. That’s perhaps the easiest void to fill. Finding a championship caliber big man is extremely hard. We’re going to need Singare to develop a ton over this season if he’s going to take the reigns in 2025
This is a research project I want to do. Probably after this season when there's more data.

I'm guessing PG is easiest to find. There's a lot of veteran mid major all-conference PGs that develop skill over years and up-transfer and do pretty well. The Norchad Omier's are a little more sparse.

I'm not sure that 3&D wing guys are really that easy, though, because the mid major levels typically don't have the size and athleticism. You can find 3 and not much D (like Joey), but starter level wing shooters are pretty coveted. The portal this year didn't really have that much wing shooting tbh. We really struck gold with Spencer late in the process after missing on Timberlake. There were only a handful of other guys who were high major starter quality guys (Dalton Knecht, DJ Rodman, TJ Bamba, Denver Jones, maybe Simas). And Spencer was honestly the best one. A couple others who were good enough and shoot but not really "shooters" (Khalif Battle, Marcus Domask, etc.)

caw

Reaction Score
A Sanon reclass is all I can even think of and no idea if the kid wants to reclass or if UConn is high in his mind. The kid can play and we'll have minutes.

Would love him in any class. Kid is a baller.

Reaction Score
If we don't make his top 3 then it honestly blows my mind. His cousin already committed here and they play together in HS + seem to have a close relationship, this current staff developed a big man that was the MOP of the Final Four and another one that will be a lottery pick, and on top of all that we're the defending national champs. Seems crazy to me that he doesn't think UConn would be a top 3 option for him to develop, win, and get to the NBA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some of y'all need to relax. Yeah it sucks, but you're treating the portal like sloppy seconds and that isn't what it is. Proven high-major talent and you can recruit them for a few months instead of a few years.

Isn't that the textbook definition of sloppy seconds? You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

Reaction Score
This is a research project I want to do. Probably after this season when there's more data.

I'm guessing PG is easiest to find. There's a lot of veteran mid major all-conference PGs that develop skill over years and up-transfer and do pretty well. The Norchad Omier's are a little more sparse.

I'm not sure that 3&D wing guys are really that easy, though, because the mid major levels typically don't have the size and athleticism. You can find 3 and not much D (like Joey), but starter level wing shooters are pretty coveted. The portal this year didn't really have that much wing shooting tbh. We really struck gold with Spencer late in the process after missing on Timberlake. There were only a handful of other guys who were high major starter quality guys (Dalton Knecht, DJ Rodman, TJ Bamba, Denver Jones, maybe Simas). And Spencer was honestly the best one. A couple others who were good enough and shoot but not really "shooters" (Khalif Battle, Marcus Domask, etc.)
Like your post except I would disagree that Joey C was a defensive liability. Maybe at first he had deficits, but he improved a lot and showed he had quick feet and could defend well enough against most opponents.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I think Singare and Samson will be find at center next year
I mean we just absolutely don't know this, Samson has played about 5 minutes in his career and all reports point to Singare being very raw. I trust Hurley and the staff with everything I have, but stating that this duo can be our main bigs is very presumptuous.

Reaction Score
I really wanted Ngongba, but let’s not forget that 2014 was won with Brimah at center. A mobile, medium shot blocking center who rarely scores and isn’t a fantastic rebounder isn’t insurmountable as a starter. I have to think, at a minimum, the staff will get Singare to that level. And, hopefully, next year we find the undervalued gem a la Emeka or Adama.

Reaction Score
I guess playing with your cousin isn't all it's cracked up to be. If I was a kid, that would be bananas. NIL > blood.

He's not going anywhere for a bag. Judt because we may not reel him in doesn't mean the kid is a punk. He has a great head on his shoulders and his family is helping him through this entire process.

Reaction Score
Trend is not good for us, oh well. Great job by the staff to position us as a finalist. This is why they play the games.

Reaction Score
Didn’t want things getting too easy for Hurley anyways. Stay hungry.

Reaction Score
Wait who is the expected third team if not us? Duke, K State and?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I guess playing with your cousin isn't all it's cracked up to be. If I was a kid, that would be bananas. NIL > blood.
Did you go to college where your cousins went to college? I sure didn't. LSU, UGA, K-State, KU, Wichita State....
It's a very personal decision. That's what I think so many people projecting things get wrong. This isn't a money situation.

Reaction Score
Did you go to college where your cousins went to college? I sure didn't. LSU, UGA, K-State, KU, Wichita State....
It's a very personal decision. That's what I think so many people projecting things get wrong. This isn't a money situation.
Yes, I actually did. My cousin's were like brothers. Is that a bad thing? Do you hate your cousin's and brothers?

Reaction Score
Yes, I actually did. My cousin's were like brothers. Is that a bad thing? Do you hate your cousin's and brothers?

My parents adopted my cousin, so he's really my brother. I wanted nothing to do with going to college with him, but we did take some visits together before I got interest from basketball schools.

Would be totally understandable it Patrick wants to do it on his own away from home and family. I can respect that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Scheyer is not the motivator that K was.
He seems to be more like the Squid - get the best talent and hope they can win without much effort on his part.
Duke and Kentucky have done less with the most for quite a while and frankly I don't see this dynamic changing anytime soon.
Sometimes you need the smaller parts that will be hungry for PT and will go through brick walls vs the prima donnas who are really saving themselves to the NBA - J Calhoun saw this and I feel he trickled down the practice to DH.
In coaching it's easier to coach and develop those who want to improve and are team players vs those who feel everything revolves around themselves. It's even harder when you have a team full of the later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom