Ngongba to Duke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ngongba to Duke

Reaction Score
Coach K couldn’t even get the job done with Zion, Barrett, and Reddish. That school should have 10+ titles for the amount of talent they bring in. If Scheyer flops with this group, he should be fired lol
Well I will say, no one can spout off now that Scheyer can't recruit. We’ve been taken to the woodshed. Let’s see if he can win a title with the abundance of riches.

Reaction Score
Well I will say, no one can spout off now that Scheyer can't recruit. We’ve been taken to the woodshed. Let’s see if he can win a title with the abundance of riches.
I don’t think anyone said he couldn’t. I think it’s the job he does on the sidelines that makes many question how effective he is at effectively deploying that great talent. He has job security now, but it would be highly comical if they don’t make a deep tournament run in 2025.

Reaction Score
God it’s just so annoying they all go to Duke. I was certain they wouldn’t be able to win but if they have 5 star players at every position times 2 Scheyer legitimately needs to be the worst coach of all time for them to not limp into a final four at worst.

To me it’s crushing because like… we JUST won a national championship. If we can’t steal a recruit or two from the behemoth now I truly think it just won’t happen. No more focusing on anyone who has dreamt of going to Duke, focus on the gritty chip on their shoulder kids who didn’t get a whiff from Duke and we can continue to grit our way to a title every four years
If a recruit says Duke is on their list and I'm Hurley.....NEXT.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't want them hanging a Final Four banner here. Making it to the title game is a successful season.

I want them to have a Kentucky 2013 year. Or make the tournament as a 4-6 seed and lose in the first weekend—ideally first round.

That said: everyone here who was throwing dirt on Duke and Scheyer and pretending that without K they had nothing. . . y'all need to stop. Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas. These are still the Tier 1s in the eyes of recruits, in part because of exposure, in part because of history, and in part because of NIL.
Not all have more than 5 NCs so in those terms, UConn, at worst is Tier 1 Scheyer has proven nothing. It’s not him,
these kids are going there, the name because of the media.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Maybe we'll get him in the portal next year.

Reaction Score
So what will Scheyer's excuse be when they don't win? Too much talent? Hard to manage all those egos. Guys go from being the star to one of many 5 stars. Ego is a powerful thing. Injuries can change a lot too.

And I thought one and done U died with Kentucky.
We havent had anywhere near the 5* Duke nevermind UK has had yet since the one and done era we have won just as many titles as those schools. Combined! 3. I may be the only person here that could not possibly care less where these 5* are going. This has been the routine at Uconn since the Calhoun era. Miss out on the big recruits but pick up guys that fit the identity of the program, be patient and cut down the nets every 5 years or so. Remember when we settled for Sanogo since the other bigs we were really hot for went elsewhere? Peppridge Farms remembers.

Reaction Score
Trusts the coaches? Based on what?
The fairy tale about the brotherhood?
The fact they have a plan for him seems to have meant so much I guess DH never thought to put one together for the trusting soul.
Do these kids know the players Duke boasts about "getting in the league" were virtually all five stars?
Maybe the next time we recruit a Duke Dreamer we should post a chart showing the numbers of stars each Dukie that went into the league had coming out of high school next to one showing how many stars our recruits had coming out of high school...........nah, they probably wouldn't understand what the charts showed.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I’m jealous of Duke and I hope one day we can match their historic program. Let’s all dream big!!!

Reaction Score
I so want Hurley to say something in one of his interviews along the lines of "We don't need to use "brotherhood" as a marketing pitch here, that's what UConn has always been about. And winning Championships."

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Our facility is awesome. Our coaching staff is awesome. We play in an amazing conference. The difference is location and NIL.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
They aren’t going to win with all those 5* freshmen. So it’s whatever. They can have fun with their offseason awards.

It takes great coaching to make a bunch of 5* freshman gel enough in one season to win. I don’t think Scheyer is that. Chemistry is going to be terrible.

Reaction Score
Me thinks some negative recruiting went on that weekend. If it gave Hurley a bigger chip on his shoulder I’m here for it
Me thinks you’ve got a little too much homerism going on. Just because Dook got these guys doesn’t mean it’s because they were bad mouthing UConn. It was Flaggs dream school all along. Who knows what convinced Ngongba. But people need to get over that every time a recruit picks someone other than the good guys it’s because A) there’s a conspiracy B) we didn’t want the guy anyway cuz he never fit our “mold” or “makeup” or C) the kid is an idiot and just ruined his career.

Not every recruit will pick UConn. Fine. We’ve always done pretty good with what we’ve had.

Reaction Score
Not all have more than 5 NCs so in those terms, UConn, at worst is Tier 1 Scheyer has proven nothing. It’s not him,
these kids are going there, the name because of the media.
Pure titles clearly isn't the dividing line for recruits. Name, NIL, etc. We don't have what they have—nor what Kansas, UNC, Kentucky have. We're in that next tier.

Reaction Score
Coach K couldn’t even get the job done with Zion, Barrett, and Reddish. That school should have 10+ titles for the amount of talent they bring in. If Scheyer flops with this group, he should be fired lol
Regarding talent, you can essentially say the same about Kentucky and Kansas, and even UNC. They have boatloads of talent, but winning the tournament is a lot of luck. We didn't make the Final Four with 4 first round draft picks and 5 overall draft selections.

It's very very difficult to win the whole thing. Scheyer's only getting fired if he consistently isn't making second weekend or really goes down in flames. He has some grace with an extension and a top class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom