NFL Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NFL Draft

Reaction Score
Wild trades Holly Brown to Cards, and AJ Brown to Eagles.

Reaction Score
Thrilled with what the Jets did.

1) Sauce at #4 is awesome. Was worried they'd go OT.
2) I like Wilson at 10. This WR class is tough to peg but I like him as much as any other WR. Glad they didn't take a chance on Jameson.
3) Thrilled that we didn't trade for Deebo. I love him as a player but I don't need to pay a WR.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So New England picks a Guard who is probably vastly underrated. But who they could have drafted at the end of the. second round. Idiots. They just don’t care how other teams value players. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes it doesn‘t.

Should have been a fantastic early third round pick.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I saw plenty of mocks that had the Jets taking Jermaine Johnson at 10. Great first round by the Jets.
They crushed it. Both New Jersey teams did.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Steelers have gone from one of the most vile and disgusting humans at QB to a guy who's ridiculously easy to root for. I may actually have to become a fan now.

Reaction Score
So New England picks a Guard who is probably vastly underrated. But who they could have drafted at the end of the. second round. Idiots. They just don’t care how other teams value players. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes it doesn‘t.

Should have been a fantastic early third round pick.

Look on the bright side: when Nakobe Dean shatters Mac Jones’s femur in a year or so we can have a good laugh at the fact that Belichick passed him over to use his first round pick on a guard who was a third team 1AA all-American.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Steelers have gone from one of the most vile and disgusting humans at QB to a guy who's ridiculously easy to root for. I may actually have to become a fan now.

I hated the pick. I despise Pitt with every fiber of my soul and don’t buy the love for Pickett. If he had gone anywhere but Pitt, I don’t think we take him. Two years in a row we’ve absolutely botched our first round picks.

As you mentioned, I spent the last 15 or so years hating our QB so making it another 4-5 until Pickett is gone won’t be too much of a chore

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Look on the bright side: when Nakobe Dean shatters Mac Jones’s femur in a year or so we can have a good laugh at the fact that Belichick passed him over to use his first round pick on a guard who was a third team 1AA all-American.
Patriots ran a thing on their website for fans to guess the pick, and win a ball signed by whoever they pick. I went with Nakobe Dean, thinking they’d trade back as they did. I am confident that nobody won that raffle!

Now watch Strange become a day one starter and bedrock player. I will forever doubt Bill with WR, but never interior lineman. Look at Andrews, Onwenu and others. Mankins was considered a reach at #32 when they took him. Odds are this guy is a stud.

Reaction Score
Despite what experts say, we won't know who had a good draft and who had a bad draft for a couple years. Day 2 is where championships are won.

Reaction Score
Now watch Strange become a day one starter and bedrock player. I will forever doubt Bill with WR, but never interior lineman. Look at Andrews, Onwenu and others. Mankins was considered a reach at #32 when they took him. Odds are this guy is a stud.

From what I've read I won't be surprised if he's a starter week one next year. I'm just not sure they couldn't have gotten him later.

Reaction Score
This has to be a pretty bad draft for Belichick to pass on players 21-40 when several of those players were at a position of need (CB). Let's face it, Belichick has no faith in this draft.

Look at some of these guys (who all look great to me and who look like they are worth #1s):

1. Nakobe Dean: he's 5'10 and weighs 215. Mini-me
2. Trent McDuffie: 5'9" or 5'10" not great size for a CB going against the new behemoths
3. Devin Lloyd: great player, but at 235, not a good fit for 3-4 teams.
4. Kaiir Elam: great speed and size, totally undisciplined, a freelancer
5. Dax Hill: Jack of all trades, a McCourty type. I thought they were going to take him. Why did they pass.

It's not just that Belichick was not high on some of these guys, but he was not high on all players 21-40. You can make excuses for why he doesn't want Nakobe or Elam (I get it) but not wanting all players between 21-40?

Makes no sense.

Presumably, he wanted Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green or Treylon Burks, who all were taken right before the Patriots at 21. He probably thought there was a 99% chance one of the 3 would be there. Shockingly, none of the 3 were.

I didn't see a single mock that had all three going in the top 20.

Reaction Score
This was one of the best (first round) drafts for both NY teams in a while. I'm a Jets fan so I'm obviously thrilled, and even more excited they'll get their 4th early pick tonight.

Happy for Giants fans too. Hopefully NY football becomes watchable again.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anyone can jump on the Pats bandwagon. It takes character to be a Jets fan for the last 46 years.
Sounds like the harmony of a frustrated Jets fans

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This has to be a pretty bad draft for Belichick to pass on players 21-40 when several of those players were at a position of need (CB). Let's face it, Belichick has no faith in this draft.

Look at some of these guys (who all look great to me and who look like they are worth #1s):

1. Nakobe Dean: he's 5'10 and weighs 215. Mini-me
2. Trent McDuffie: 5'9" or 5'10" not great size for a CB going against the new behemoths
3. Devin Lloyd: great player, but at 235, not a good fit for 3-4 teams.
4. Kaiir Elam: great speed and size, totally undisciplined, a freelancer
5. Dax Hill: Jack of all trades, a McCourty type. I thought they were going to take him. Why did they pass.

It's not just that Belichick was not high on some of these guys, but he was not high on all players 21-40. You can make excuses for why he doesn't want Nakobe or Elam (I get it) but not wanting all players between 21-40?

Makes no sense.

Presumably, he wanted Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green or Treylon Burks, who all were taken right before the Patriots at 21. He probably thought there was a 99% chance one of the 3 would be there. Shockingly, none of the 3 were.

I didn't see a single mock that had all three going in the top 20.
I mean, he took a player at 29. Maybe you meant 21-28? I think this is a draft with very few stars. The #1 pick is probably not as good Micah Parsons who went #12 last year. So trading back was definitely the smart move. As for Strange, well he's a prototype Patriots guard, link Mankins, Thuney, Mason and others. He's a starter next year at a position of need. I have no doubt he was looking at those other OL that went just before.

But you are largely right. For Dean, (who I had for that pick) now that I think about it he's similar to Jabril Peppers who they just signed. Maybe slightly bigger. McDuffie was the guy I targeted at 21, but he's small for a Patriots corner. Bill likes size on the outside and knows slot/nickel dbs can be had later. I believe Mills was signed last year as the heir to McCourty. Eagles had moved him to free safety. But that just means the need at corner is even greater.

Today will be interesting.

Reaction Score
I mean, he took a player at 29. Maybe you meant 21-28? I think this is a draft with very few stars. The #1 pick is probably not as good Micah Parsons who went #12 last year. So trading back was definitely the smart move. As for Strange, well he's a prototype Patriots guard, link Mankins, Thuney, Mason and others. He's a starter next year at a position of need. I have no doubt he was looking at those other OL that went just before.

But you are largely right. For Dean, (who I had for that pick) now that I think about it he's similar to Jabril Peppers who they just signed. Maybe slightly bigger. McDuffie was the guy I targeted at 21, but he's small for a Patriots corner. Bill likes size on the outside and knows slot/nickel dbs can be had later. I believe Mills was signed last year as the heir to McCourty. Eagles had moved him to free safety. But that just means the need at corner is even greater.

Today will be interesting.
No, I did mean 21-40 for a few reasons. One, guard isn't as much of a need as other positions, and there are still 2 CBs available who Bill did not judge to be worth it (Booth and Gordon). So, by picking Strange, he elected to pass on 2 pretty good CBs.

But there's also the strategy of the draft. The Bills gave up a 4th to move up a few spots in the 1st. What would it have taken to move up several spots in the 2nd to grab Strange? At the very most, the 3rd they picked up from KC.

In other words, the Patriots had the draft capital to move up to grab Strange, or perhaps they could have even picked up a 4th by trading down from 29.

The earliest many pundits had him was in the 70s, but let's say the Patriots believe others wanted him a whole round earlier (in the 40s).

You can get there from either 29 or else with a trade up from the 50s (the Patriots 2nd rounder).

I just think that Belichick believes EVERYONE in that 21-40 range isn't as good as Strange.

And furthermore, there is very little left at positions of dire need (CB).

I'm still open to him grabbing LBs, DEs or DTs. Because there are a few of those.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom