Next Year's Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next Year's Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know a lot of people really were down on the CT SUN trade that gave up the 2017 1st round pick to obtain Jonquel Jones (there are other pieces to that trade). Reading all of these assessments of next year's draft, it appears that if you had to give up a 1st round pick, this was the year to do it.

Reaction Score
Seeing your list of players got me thinking about who I'd pick first and it was a tough decision.

I think Nia Coffey is one of the most intriguing in this list. Her athleticism is off the charts and she's levelheaded and smart.

I also think you need to Alexis Jones (Unless that's the Jones-MD you put.) and Nina Davis to your board.
There aren't any major standouts in this draft class (If the players with eligibility stay in school) but I think my first pick would be between the Alexis Jones, she's shown to be just as affective post surgery and in learning a new style of play) or Nia Coffey.
It'd probably come down to need at that point.

1. Jones
2. Coffey
3. Allen
4. Davis (She could probably go higher and will prove to be a good pro but seems so undersized)
5. Scaife (Rutgers players seem to do well in the pros)
6. Walker-Kimbrough
7. Plum
8. Jackson

After 8 I think it's kind of a toss up.
Cooper is physical and can pop out to open up the paint, but she can be so immature and make stupid decisions that hurt the team.
McCall is a smart and big player, I'm just not sure she has the speed or athleticism to keep up in the pros.
Brown will depend on how she does at Duke. If she improves or stays where she was. Could go around 6 if improves.
Deshields will probably be available for this draft if the season doesn't go well for her. She could be high because of potential and all the talk but she shouldn't be in the top 5.

Just my thoughts.
If Seattle doesn't make the playoffs, and Diamond comes out, and is available, they need to take her. Then hope that the influence of Sue, Stewie, and Jewell is enough to get Diamond to play to her potential.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If Seattle doesn't make the playoffs, and Diamond comes out, and is available, they need to take her. Then hope that the influence of Sue, Stewie, and Jewell is enough to get Diamond to play to her potential.

Will Diamond be able to be happy and play, not being the star of the team?

Reaction Score
Will Diamond be able to be happy and play, not being the star of the team?
When I watched her games last year... her facial expressions reminded me of Angel McCoutry during her college days... that worked out... maybe she will see the light...

Reaction Score
I am seriously concerned about Coates ability to make a WNBA roster, Although that might sound harsh she does not have a single skill that I think translate to the WNBA. There are also a lot of quality players similar to Diamond who transferred and might want to jump into this draft. For example Lexie Brown- Does anyone thing she is going to last two years under JPM? Others include Muvunga, Reimer, Gray, Davis. Cooper. My preliminary draft board would look like this P: Reimer-MSU, Muvunga-tOSU, Jones-MD F: Erica Mcall-Stan , Jessica Jackson-AR, Cooper-tOSU, Coffey-NW G:Diamond-TN,Scaife-Rut,Walker-Kimbrough-MD, Brown-Duke, Allen-ND,Plumb-Was.

I agree with most of your list, but I don't think Reimer will make it in the WNBA... she seems a little slow on both ends of the court... She's decent at a lot of things, but not great at one thing... Wish her the best though. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Alexix Jones will be the best player in WCBB this season and will be the number 1 player in the draft. She has that rare combination of being able to shoot from distance, shoot the mid-range jumper and drive to the basket. She is basically a mirror-image of Odyssey.

Reaction Score
Alexix Jones will be the best player in WCBB this season and will be the number 1 player in the draft. She has that rare combination of being able to shoot from distance, shoot the mid-range jumper and drive to the basket. She is basically a mirror-image of Odyssey.
She won't be the 1st pick if Seattle has it, wouldn't fit on a team with Sue, Stewie, and Jewell. Seattle doesn't need another guard, they need a small forward, which Diamond would fill nicely.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I could see Alexis Jones in Atlanta or Washington

I am seriously concerned about Coates ability to make a WNBA roster, Although that might sound harsh she does not have a single skill that I think translate to the WNBA. There are also a lot of quality players similar to Diamond who transferred and might want to jump into this draft. For example Lexie Brown- Does anyone thing she is going to last two years under JPM? Others include Muvunga, Reimer, Gray, Davis. Cooper. My preliminary draft board would look like this P: Reimer-MSU, Muvunga-tOSU, Jones-MD F: Erica Mcall-Stan , Jessica Jackson-AR, Cooper-tOSU, Coffey-NW G:Diamond-TN,Scaife-Rut,Walker-Kimbrough-MD, Brown-Duke, Allen-ND,Plumb-Was.

boy-raising-hand-clip-art-gallery-6X05fa-clipart.gif

Reaction Score
If I'm Ruth Riley, I keep MoJeff and trade DRob for a center or wing. You're right that the Stars don't have much, but Danielle is not the offensive threat that Mo will become, Mo is younger, and Mo is simply better. No way I trade Mo. They have a decent young forward in Hamby, and McBride should play the 2 when she gets back. I know she has played the 3 in SA as well, but she is a little undersized for the 3. So they should try to get a good wing or a center. Jayne really let her weight balloon this past offseason, so I'm not sure she has the commitment necessary. Even if she were committed, I would upgrade there. There is talk that maybe the Wings would trade Sims for DRob, as the Sims/Diggins backcourt is not working out that well. Having a pass-first PG in Dallas might provide more shots/opportunities for the rest of the team. Then McBride would move to W and Sims would play the 2. That would leave the Stars with a short backcourt, but a very tough, quick one. So they need a 5 and 2/3. They can acquire one through the draft and the other they can trade for DRob. I would also take a another nice forward if one were available, but only if one of the other options was not available.

i like this post but i think that a Jefferson trade will bring a much better player than Robinson...Seattle is in the same boat with San Antonio, they need so much...i would like to see Stars or Storm go after Kia Stokes...she makes either team significantly better immediately...with emergence of Zahui B you might pry her loose from them...perhaps the Mystics we part with one of their bigs...i think Lindsey Allen is a better pure point guard than Sims or Diggins, both great college players but have struggled at times in the pro...and both have to have the ball to be affective...if i am Seattle Allen would be my pick if available...heir apparent to Bird...the Stars are at ground zero...need a Stokes or Dolson in the post to score and rebound...i am like everyone else not sure if Coates will be better than a good back up in the pros...DeShields has been trouble everywhere she has played so far...amazing talent but huge risk especially at #1...that being said not a stretch for Stars as she is what they need at the wing if she can stay focused...just some thoughts...just an opinion

Reaction Score
IMO Diamonds problems all relate to her parents. She seems like a good kid and a great athlete. I loved her freshmen year at NC! I was rooting for her at Tenn. last year until the attitude and the father. No matter how Holly coached they both disrespected her. If Tenn played like they did in the tournament. Uconn would have played them instead of Syracuse. JMO.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Alaina Coates does not have the mobility to play in the WNBA. I will be surprised if she is even picked in the first round. Also, her facial expressions and public calling out of teammates during the UConn game makes me wonder about her attitude.

If I were a GM, she would be near the bottom of my draft list.

Reaction Score
She won't be the 1st pick if Seattle has it, wouldn't fit on a team with Sue, Stewie, and Jewell. Seattle doesn't need another guard, they need a small forward, which Diamond would fill nicely.

i think Jones would be a great pick for the Storm...first off Storm need a better coach...with that i like the idea of Jones on one wing and Loyd on the other (if Loyd quits shooting so many bad shots and give the ball up some)...that would free up the middle for Stewie to move more easily...Storm need to find a way to get Stokes or Dolson if for nothing else to rebound and plug the middle...next year Stewie will be one of the 4 best players in the league but still struggle because everyone will double Stewie when she gets the ball below the free throw line and will let Loyd fire up threes because she is not consistent night in and night out to make them a winner...and they need to strengthen their bench...Clark is much better off the bench...KML would help tremendously if she could find her old self...instant offense off the bench...Langhorne would be great off the bench too....just need t5o find two starters...lol...just my opinion

Reaction Score
IMO Diamonds problems all relate to her parents. She seems like a good kid and a great athlete. I loved her freshmen year at NC! I was rooting for her at Tenn. last year until the attitude and the father. No matter how Holly coached they both disrespected her. If Tenn played like they did in the tournament. Uconn would have played them instead of Syracuse. JMO.
i like that post...not sure they beat Syracuse but would have been a good game...just think Diamomd has so many issues off the court and a few on that she is a bit of a risk at #1...however if she were to change attitude and work harder on defense she could be one of the best in the WNBA in 3 years...her father is a huge part of the problem...that is a well known fact

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Sue Bird has maybe one year left? Who is going to play PG when Sue retires?

Reaction Score
Sue Bird has maybe one year left? Who is going to play PG when Sue retires?
i think Lindsey Allen if available is a great draft choice...ideal situation trade Loyd for Jefferson straight up...we all have dreams...lol

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I tend to think of draft picks in Basketball along the lines of the current thinking in the NFL re quarterbacks - people pay a lot of attention to completion percentage when drafting quarterbacks because very few have ever increased their completion percentage as professionals. The same can be said for wings and guards in basketball of either gender. If they are not accurate in college they will likely be a lot worse in the pros because they will consistently be playing against better defensive players.

Based on the above:
I have concerns about Allen as a pro in the same way that Niya Johnson struggled this past year trying to find a roster spot. Being a 'pure point guard' includes the ability to score 10 ppg while taking very few shots. (And it is also why Kelly Faris has struggled to get into a rotation as well.)

I have the same concerns about DD - she has yet to show that she is an efficient scorer for all her athleticism. I think she is quite similar to Loyd in terms of athleticism, but Loyd as a Freshman: .447/.413/.820, as a sophomore: .517/.398/.808 - her junior year was not as good .443/.308/.826 when Diggins and McBride were gone, but they are still significantly better than anything DD has done to date. If she truly has a good year this year, great, but to date she has given no indication that she can score as efficiently as her teammates.

Reaction Score
I tend to think of draft picks in Basketball along the lines of the current thinking in the NFL re quarterbacks - people pay a lot of attention to completion percentage when drafting quarterbacks because very few have ever increased their completion percentage as professionals. The same can be said for wings and guards in basketball of either gender. If they are not accurate in college they will likely be a lot worse in the pros because they will consistently be playing against better defensive players.

Based on the above:
I have concerns about Allen as a pro in the same way that Niya Johnson struggled this past year trying to find a roster spot. Being a 'pure point guard' includes the ability to score 10 ppg while taking very few shots. (And it is also why Kelly Faris has struggled to get into a rotation as well.)

I have the same concerns about DD - she has yet to show that she is an efficient scorer for all her athleticism. I think she is quite similar to Loyd in terms of athleticism, but Loyd as a Freshman: .447/.413/.820, as a sophomore: .517/.398/.808 - her junior year was not as good .443/.308/.826 when Diggins and McBride were gone, but they are still significantly better than anything DD has done to date. If she truly has a good year this year, great, but to date she has given no indication that she can score as efficiently as her teammates.
great comment

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Based on the above:

I think Allen is a much stronger prospect than Niya Johnson was. Johnson had 0 range and just wasn't an offensive threat. She was a great distributor, but she just isn't a scoring threat. Lindsey Allen is a great distributor and a solid offensive threat. She doesn't take a lot of shots, but is a very capable scorer. She's a career 50% shooter, can get in the lane, or stop and pop midrange. She's also a capable long distance shooter. Notre Dame had so many 3 point shooter last year so she didn't take as many shots, but when she looks for her shot, she can score. In many ways, she reminds me of a poor man's Moriah Jefferson. She also has played, and played well, against much stronger competition than Johnson did at Baylor.

On the flip side, I think Nina Davis will become a very very good pro player. She is undersized but is lightning quick, has a nose for the ball and can score. She may not be a star at the next level, but I think she will develop into a really good pro and should go top 5. I also think Alexis Jones could contend for the #1 overall pick. As someone stated, really similar offensively to Odyssey Sims. Defensively, she reminds me of Alexis Hornbuckle with her quickness and ability to disrupt passing lanes. Extremely athletic, can beat you off the dribble, 41% from long range, etc. She also improved immensely over the course of last season and consistently elevated her play in big games. I'd take her over Diamond at this point.

Someone in this thread mentioned they didn't think Coates was WNBA material....I couldn't disagree more. I think she has the best low post frame of any prospect we've seen in a long time. Similar to Kiah Stokes, but much more assertive and skilled offensively. A big 6-4, great finisher inside, keeps the ball high, good rebounder, can set a huge pick, etc. Getting a true center who owns it is rare in today's day and age. She isn't a Griner or a Fowles, but I think she'll be a rock solid center as a pro.

Diamond has more upside than anyone in this class, but the results and performance just haven't delivered. I wouldn't be surprised if she has a monster season and elevates herself as the clear cut #1 pick, but if I'm a GM and I'm picking players today, I'd take players like Coates, Davis and Jones over her right now.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Allen is a much stronger prospect than Niya Johnson was. Johnson had 0 range and just wasn't an offensive threat. She was a great distributor, but she just isn't a scoring threat. Lindsey Allen is a great distributor and a solid offensive threat. She doesn't take a lot of shots, but is a very capable scorer. She's a career 50% shooter, can get in the lane, or stop and pop midrange. She's also a capable long distance shooter. Notre Dame had so many 3 point shooter last year so she didn't take as many shots, but when she looks for her shot, she can score. In many ways, she reminds me of a poor man's Moriah Jefferson. She also has played, and played well, against much stronger competition than Johnson did at Baylor.

On the flip side, I think Nina Davis will become a very very good pro player. She is undersized but is lightning quick, has a nose for the ball and can score. She may not be a star at the next level, but I think she will develop into a really good pro and should go top 5. I also think Alexis Jones could contend for the #1 overall pick. As someone stated, really similar offensively to Odyssey Sims. Defensively, she reminds me of Alexis Hornbuckle with her quickness and ability to disrupt passing lanes. Extremely athletic, can beat you off the dribble, 41% from long range, etc. She also improved immensely over the course of last season and consistently elevated her play in big games. I'd take her over Diamond at this point.

Someone in this thread mentioned they didn't think Coates was WNBA material....I couldn't disagree more. I think she has the best low post frame of any prospect we've seen in a long time. Similar to Kiah Stokes, but much more assertive and skilled offensively. A big 6-4, great finisher inside, keeps the ball high, good rebounder, can set a huge pick, etc. Getting a true center who owns it is rare in today's day and age. She isn't a Griner or a Fowles, but I think she'll be a rock solid center as a pro.

Allen definitely has more offensive skills that Johnson that will allow her to transition to the WNBA. I don't see her has a top 2 or 3 pick but she will definitely be a good addition to a team that needs a PG for the future.

Diamond has more upside than anyone in this class, but the results and performance just haven't delivered. I wouldn't be surprised if she has a monster season and elevates herself as the clear cut #1 pick, but if I'm a GM and I'm picking players today, I'd take players like Coates, Davis and Jones over her right now.

Superb analysis of the players mentioned. I agree that Coates will be a good pro. I think she has all the tools and upside to be a very high draft pick and a starting center in the WNBA.

I really like Kaela Davis and think she will be a high draft pick whenever she goes. She was basically a one woman show in GT and may prove to be the best player on the USC team this season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Except that in Coates you would not be getting a "True"center. The comparison of Stokes to Coates is way off. Coates has not discovered her left hand, she has no counter post moves to speak off and blocked 43 shots last year- Stokes block 147 in her senior year in 200 fewer minutes. Coates does not keep the ball high, her outlet passes are at her waist. Coates interior passing is weak and her ability to kick the ball out of a double team in the post even weaker. If nothing else Stokes shot blocking was going to translate well to the WNBA, just don't see what Coates will be bringing to the WNBA-size and a good frame are not enough.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Except that in Coates you would not be getting a "True"center. The comparison of Stokes to Coates is way off. Coates has not discovered her left hand, she has no counter post moves to speak off and blocked 43 shots last year- Stokes block 147 in her senior year in 200 fewer minutes. Coates does not keep the ball high, her outlet passes are at her waist. Coates interior passing is weak and her ability to kick the ball out of a double team in the post even weaker. If nothing else Stokes shot blocking was going to translate well to the WNBA, just don't see what Coates will be bringing to the WNBA-size and a good frame are not enough.

Coates posts well and finishes very consistently inside (64.4% Fg). She does a good job of keeping the ball high and going back up strong after an offensive rebound. Stokes is a better defender, but Coates is a good shot blocker despite just 43 swats last year. Prior to Wilson coming, Coates was statistically one of the best shot blockers in the SEC as a freshman. Wilson is a better blocker than Coates which has led to fewer blocks per game for Coates. In the W, Coates will be the standout shot blocker for her team.

More than anything, Coates will bring great rebounding, defense and the ability to finish inside at a very high percentage. She's a banger and a big body but is surprisingly nimble on her feet as well. Compared to most posts coming out of college into the W, she has a polished offensive game. She likely isn't going to become an All-WNBA player but will develop into a really solid pro.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Superb analysis of the players mentioned. I agree that Coates will be a good pro. I think she has all the tools and upside to be a very high draft pick and a starting center in the WNBA.

I really like Kaela Davis and think she will be a high draft pick whenever she goes. She was basically a one woman show in GT and may prove to be the best player on the USC team this season.

I really hope Davis uses up her entire eligibility at SC.. but if she has a big year like she's capable of and turns out to be the best player on this very talented squad then I will gladly wish her well on her future endeavors in the WNBA. I would love to see her blow the doors off WCBB this season.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Coates posts well and finishes very consistently inside (64.4% Fg). She does a good job of keeping the ball high and going back up strong after an offensive rebound. Stokes is a better defender, but Coates is a good shot blocker despite just 43 swats last year. Prior to Wilson coming, Coates was statistically one of the best shot blockers in the SEC as a freshman. Wilson is a better blocker than Coates which has led to fewer blocks per game for Coates. In the W, Coates will be the standout shot blocker for her team.

More than anything, Coates will bring great rebounding, defense and the ability to finish inside at a very high percentage. She's a banger and a big body but is surprisingly nimble on her feet as well. Compared to most posts coming out of college into the W, she has a polished offensive game. She likely isn't going to become an All-WNBA player but will develop into a really solid pro.

That's one of the things I LOVE about Coates. When she gets that rebound she goes right back up 95% of the time... the ball does not touch the floor. Most college post players get the rebound and take a meaningless dribble often resulting in them getting stripped. Coates keeps the ball high so she's either gonna score, get fouled, or usually both.

If Coates manages to show off her post moves this season and her jump shot away from the basket then like you, I believe she'll be a solid pro.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I really hope Davis uses up her entire eligibility at SC.. but if she has a big year like she's capable of and turns out to be the best player on this very talented squad then I will gladly wish her well on her future endeavors in the WNBA. I would love to see her blow the doors off WCBB this season.

Davis is a really intriguing player, she's a lot like DeShields in the respect that she clearly has the talent to be great but hasn't pieced it together yet. She could be a top tier draft pick if she becomes a more efficient player than she was at GT. Obviously the circumstances were different at GT, but she has great size and range to be a really solid player. Her shooting percentages and A/TO ratio were awful, but I imagine both will improve while at Tech. My guess is she returns though for a chance to win it all in 2017-18. Same with Gray, who could also be a top pick this upcoming draft if she bolts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I need to watch Coates more closely this season. Seattle needs a big body who can rebound, defend, and score on some put-backs. Kiah Stokes would be a huge help for them.

Would Diamond be happy about not being the star? That's a legit question. I haven't seen anything that suggests the answer is in the affirmative. If she joined Seattle next year, she would be no better than the 4th best player on the team.

Here's the solution to the PG situation. Sue stays healthy and plays 4 more years, goes to Tokyo, and wins her 5th Gold Medal along with Diana. Meanwhile, Crystal Dangerfield spends 4 years with Geno, wins 2 or 3 Liebermans, and goes to the Storm in 2020. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom