Next Year's Draft | The Boneyard

Next Year's Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay, really early but... Went to the Sun/Stars game on Tuesday. SA has been hit with injuries, but even before, they had a long way to go to contend. At least this means they will get a top draft pick. So if you were SA's GM, what would you do? Use your pick? For who? Trade for WNBA players? If DRob comes back healthy, trade her or MoJeff? How do you rebuild a team with this many needs? (Part of me would like to see Mo traded to a team that have more scoring options to benefit from her assists)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
If I'm Ruth Riley, I keep MoJeff and trade DRob for a center or wing. You're right that the Stars don't have much, but Danielle is not the offensive threat that Mo will become, Mo is younger, and Mo is simply better. No way I trade Mo. They have a decent young forward in Hamby, and McBride should play the 2 when she gets back. I know she has played the 3 in SA as well, but she is a little undersized for the 3. So they should try to get a good wing or a center. Jayne really let her weight balloon this past offseason, so I'm not sure she has the commitment necessary. Even if she were committed, I would upgrade there. There is talk that maybe the Wings would trade Sims for DRob, as the Sims/Diggins backcourt is not working out that well. Having a pass-first PG in Dallas might provide more shots/opportunities for the rest of the team. Then McBride would move to W and Sims would play the 2. That would leave the Stars with a short backcourt, but a very tough, quick one. So they need a 5 and 2/3. They can acquire one through the draft and the other they can trade for DRob. I would also take a another nice forward if one were available, but only if one of the other options was not available.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Even if San Antonio has the worst record this year, they are not guaranteed to have the #1 pick in next year's draft. As in the NBA, the teams that do not make the playoffs go into a lottery, and it is possible for any of the four non-playoff teams to win the #1 pick.

Who would be the probable Top 4 next year (the lottery picks) anyway? I'm not sure who the favorites are at this point.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
NO inside info, but if the Lady Vols aren't in competition for a F4 berth, I wouldn't be surprised if both Diamond DeShields and Mercedes Russell both declare for the draft, especially if they have enough credits to graduate. IF Diamond is healthy and has a great year, she would be the favorite to be the #1 Draft choice. Not sure she would be if she waits a year and comes out with A'ja Wilson, and others.

Reaction Score
As a San Antonio fan, it is quite natural to let my mind drift to next year's draft every time I see the team play or check game results. Sorry, but trading MoJeff is a nonstarter! I really like Danielle Robinson, but agree that trading her may be the team's best option. She plays the only position where the Stars have anything close to a quality player to spare. Trading for Sims? I hope not. I don't know. I think we may have to just wait and see who rises this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I don't think D.Robs value during this off-season will be high enough to give true value since I doubt she will have a chance to get back on the court meaningfully during the winter. I think SA will either have to take a lot less in trade for her, or keep her next year so she can prove she is healthy and fully recovered. That is not all that bad a thing as to be a good team you need a good bench and she and Moriah playing together might actually be pretty exciting.

SA needs a lot of help and especially at the center position - I sort of wonder what will happen in Phoenix with Bone and whether she might be available again for trade - not sure that that trade is quite everything Phoenix hoped for.

This coming draft is a really blank to me at the moment - it certainly doesn't have the headliners that last year had, and I doubt it will have the depth.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I would have to agree. There is no way MoJeff gets traded, even if DRob is completely healthy. Robinson should be the one to go, and hopefully for a young post player and maybe an additional pick.

If the Stars get the first pick, I would think DeShields would be the selection. However, if the first pick isn't awarded to SA, maybe players like McCall, Coates, or Plum would be considered. Wouldn't be surprised to see a trade happen for the pick, if it doesn't end up being first.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't trade either. You need a rotation of guards, and Mo is playing off guard now with Sydney Colson at the point.

You need to build on talent, and D-Rob has it. She, Mo and McBride is a great rotation.

Reaction Score
I can't think of any seniors who would be franchise-level draft picks. Maybe once the season starts I'll remember a few, but right now all I can think of are Lindsey Allen and Nina Davis. I'm sure there will be some solid players available in the draft, but guaranteed superstars? I got nothing.

Reaction Score
I would keep both. I saw only one draft preview for next year and they listed Diamond DeShields as the probable number one pick. With her sitting out a year due to transfer she's draft eligible.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In Knoxville they have two players (Mercedes Russell and somebody named Diamond) who could be eligible to come out for the WNBA draft next year, since they both missed a season. Is it possible that they could be the top two picks in the draft?

Seems unlikely based on their college performance, but maybe someone like San Antonio would figure that if Mercedes got competent coaching, she might become the center that they need. Seems like a long shot, however.

Reaction Score
I think the odds are strong SA picks Alaina Coates in the draft, providing she is still available at the time they pick.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
DeShields has the most upside of anyone who is likely entering the draft, but she is a risky #1 pick and isn't a proven commodity like virtually every other #1 pick has been.

Coates may be the best post prospect. There are some other good players in the draft but no sure fire standouts. If Russell leaves for the draft, I think she's borderline top 10. Doesn't sniff the top 3 unless her game has drastically improved.

Lindsey Allen could be the best point guard in the draft, and I could see her developing into a really good pro player, but #1 pick? Not a chance.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a couple of players really elevate their stock in their last season similar to how Harding accomplished this in 2007. Could be in for a surprise #1 pick.

Reaction Score
Other possible early entries include: Victoria Vivians, Lexie Brown, Rebecca Greenwell, and Kaela Davis.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Other possible early entries include: Victoria Vivians, Lexie Brown, Rebecca Greenwell, and Kaela Davis.

outtahere.gif

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If Coates adds a consistent hook shot or even a short jumper she's a surefire top 5 pick. Big girls that actually choose the the paint first, like Coates, are becoming more and more rare. They all want to be the next Elena Delle Donne.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Thats because the game has changed, centers are only needed if the opposing team has one that needs to be countered, i.e. each take the other out of the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am seriously concerned about Coates ability to make a WNBA roster, Although that might sound harsh she does not have a single skill that I think translate to the WNBA. There are also a lot of quality players similar to Diamond who transferred and might want to jump into this draft. For example Lexie Brown- Does anyone thing she is going to last two years under JPM? Others include Muvunga, Reimer, Gray, Davis. Cooper. My preliminary draft board would look like this P: Reimer-MSU, Muvunga-tOSU, Jones-MD F: Erica Mcall-Stan , Jessica Jackson-AR, Cooper-tOSU, Coffey-NW G:Diamond-TN,Scaife-Rut,Walker-Kimbrough-MD, Brown-Duke, Allen-ND,Plumb-Was.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I am seriously concerned about Coates ability to make a WNBA roster, Although that might sound harsh she does not have a single skill that I think translate to the WNBA. There are also a lot of quality players similar to Diamond who transferred and might want to jump into this draft. For example Lexie Brown- Does anyone thing she is going to last two years under JPM? Others include Muvunga, Reimer, Gray, Davis. Cooper. My preliminary draft board would look like this P: Reimer-MSU, Muvunga-tOSU, Jones-MD F: Erica Mcall-Stan , Jessica Jackson-AR, Cooper-tOSU, Coffey-NW G:Diamond-TN,Scaife-Rut,Walker-Kimbrough-MD, Brown-Duke, Allen-ND,Plumb-Was.

Seeing your list of players got me thinking about who I'd pick first and it was a tough decision.

I think Nia Coffey is one of the most intriguing in this list. Her athleticism is off the charts and she's levelheaded and smart.

I also think you need to Alexis Jones (Unless that's the Jones-MD you put.) and Nina Davis to your board.
There aren't any major standouts in this draft class (If the players with eligibility stay in school) but I think my first pick would be between the Alexis Jones, she's shown to be just as affective post surgery and in learning a new style of play) or Nia Coffey.
It'd probably come down to need at that point.

1. Jones
2. Coffey
3. Allen
4. Davis (She could probably go higher and will prove to be a good pro but seems so undersized)
5. Scaife (Rutgers players seem to do well in the pros)
6. Walker-Kimbrough
7. Plum
8. Jackson

After 8 I think it's kind of a toss up.
Cooper is physical and can pop out to open up the paint, but she can be so immature and make stupid decisions that hurt the team.
McCall is a smart and big player, I'm just not sure she has the speed or athleticism to keep up in the pros.
Brown will depend on how she does at Duke. If she improves or stays where she was. Could go around 6 if improves.
Deshields will probably be available for this draft if the season doesn't go well for her. She could be high because of potential and all the talk but she shouldn't be in the top 5.

Just my thoughts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seeing your list of players got me thinking about who I'd pick first and it was a tough decision.

I think Nia Coffey is one of the most intriguing in this list. Her athleticism is off the charts and she's levelheaded and smart.

I also think you need to Alexis Jones (Unless that's the Jones-MD you put.) and Nina Davis to your board.
There aren't any major standouts in this draft class (If the players with eligibility stay in school) but I think my first pick would be between the Alexis Jones, she's shown to be just as affective post surgery and in learning a new style of play) or Nia Coffey.

1. Jones
2. Coffey
3. Allen
4. Davis (She could probably go higher and will prove to be a good pro but seems so undersized)
5. Scafie (Rutgers players seem to do well in the pros)
6. Walker-Kimbrough
7. Plum
8. Jackson

Cooper is physical and can pop out to open up the paint, but she can be so immature and make stupid decisions that hurt the team.
McCall is a smart and big player, I'm just not sure she has the speed or athleticism to keep up in the pros.
Brown will depend on how she does at Duke. If she improves or stays where she was. Could go around 6 if improves.
Deshields will probably be available for this draft if the season doesn't go well for her. She could be high because of potential and all the talk but she shouldn't be in the top 5.

Just my thoughts.
I forgot about Jones of Baylor-Good catch. I meant Jones the post player from MD. Nina Davis is 5'11", she is not going to play in the post in the WNBA and she has no outside shot no handle and cannot defend on the wing in the WNBA. I don't think she makes a NBA roster when someone like Kelly Faris who is much better defender and offensive player is always struggling to make a roster.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I forgot about Jones of Baylor-Good catch. I meant Jones the post player from MD. Nina Davis is 5'11", she is not going to play in the post in the WNBA and she has no outside shot no handle and cannot defend on the wing in the WNBA. I don't think she makes a NBA roster when someone like Kelly Faris who is much better defender and offensive player is always struggling to make a roster.

I felt the same way about Davis and struggled putting her on my list so high. (I saw a mock and she was the first pick) but she's surprised me in college being so successful, so I wouldn't put it past her. But your analysis is probably a correct one.

Reaction Score
Looking at the names above this may be one of the worst possible WNBA drafts in a long time!
A team may trade their pick for an established player but there's no guarantee you'll improve your situation!
There's not one franchise type player like a Stewie, Loyd, MoJeff, Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Brittany Griner, Nneka or Chiney Ogwumike, etc.
To me Nina Davis of Baylor is the best athlete coming out but as stated above her college position would be a problem in the pros because of the physical style of play!

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

1. Jones
2. Coffey
3. Allen
5. Scaife (Rutgers players seem to do well in the pros)
6. Walker-Kimbrough
7. Plum
8. Jackson

Just my thoughts.
IMHO I would never put smart and big in the same sentence with McCall after watching her for 6 years. Hustle and heart maybe but not the other 2.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
IMHO I would never put smart and big in the same sentence with McCall after watching her for 6 years. Hustle and heart maybe but not the other 2.

That's fair. I just tend to consider players in Tara's system to be smart, but you've probably seen her play more than I so I will agree with your words over mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom