Next year's #1 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Next year's #1

Reaction Score
Baylor losing Chloe Jackson and Brown will be hard to replace. I'm interested in seeing how they recover and plug in their strong class. Who will be point guard? They still have some good play returning, along with floor general Lauren Cox. If Cox could learn to hit the three pointer, she would be an elite player.

Landrum moves over to PG or Honesty Scott Grayson will likely take over. She is legit offensively and can fill up a stat sheet there between scoring and distributing. Mulkey has been hard on her this year with her defense not being up to par and sometimes she is too careless with the basketball.

Brown will definitely be a loss no doubt, just a tremendous rebounder, shot blocker and obviously monster scorer in the paint. I do look forward to seeing Smith and Egbo in the paint with cox. I do think the versatility of those mobile posts will open up a different style of offense next year for Baylor, and in a good way. Both are getting significant minutes this year and are developing which should pay dividends in the future.

That sophomore class a year older and what they return between Cox, Juicy and DD should have them in the top 3 somewhere. Obviously things can change if someone transfers out or someone transfers in, injuries, etc.. They also add Jordyn Oliver who is talented.

I do like what Stanford returns next year along with the pieces they add, should be a great group.

Oregon will be interesting depending on if Sabrina stays.

Miss St will take some steps back. Losing McCowan, Howard, Danberry, Holmes are really big losses. Return Bibby, AEH. Carter, Taylor and Wiggins will need to develop this offseason but are talented kids. They do have that transfer Taylor Promise who should step in immediately along with a good recruiting class with Rickea Jackson, but its gonna take time to rebuild there. Just too many significant losses and not enough proven right now unless they go and add a grad transfer which is not out of the possibility.

UCONN should still be really strong but replacing KLS and Collier are going to be very difficult to do. CW, CD, and MW all return. The development of Olivia Nelson this offseason will be critical. Aubrey will be challenged early on, they will need her contributions. I do think Geno adds a transfer this offseason. He needs more quality depth and another contributor. The grad transfer market could be very nice this offseason based on who is eligible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe Maryland?
Maryland will easily be a top 5 team next season. With their penchant for having an easy schedule, they could make a legitimate run at #1 by Christmas next season. As mentioned earlier, they only lose Fraser and will welcome the #3 class for 2019 which includes stud talents in Ashley Owusu and Diamond Miller. I really like Maryland a ton next season if Brenda uses her bench effectively which can be a problem for her sometimes (see 2016).

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Thing is that Dawn has stretched and utilized her depth alot this year which has given her players a lot of experience. Though they are getting great play from the starters, they are getting a lot of reps for the bench players. The recruiting class will only make the quality of the bench stronger allowing them to place more pressure on teams that either are lest talented or either have a short bench.
I remember that freshman class with Aja (rated No.2 behind UCLA). They came off the bench and actually extended the lead the starters had. I think Dawn will take the same approach with this group next year. That was with starters Mitchell, Sessions, Ibiam, Welch and Coates if I recall correctly.

Reaction Score
Just as a kind of aside is Promise Taylor or her family from Mississippi originally?

If not, what was story behind a Washington state player ending up at Ole Miss and then transferring to Miss State?

Reaction Score
I remember that freshman class with Aja (rated No.2 behind UCLA). They came off the bench and actually extended the lead the starters had. I think Dawn will take the same approach with this group next year. That was with starters Mitchell, Sessions, Ibiam, Welch and Coates if I recall correctly.

Coates and Wilson off the bench. Dozier was the fifth starter, but didn't really get starter minutes. Sometimes she'd be pull 2-3 minutes into the game if the offense was struggling.

I've said before that I think Boston is the most likely freshman to start since there will not be a returning starter at center and L. Williams basically does not play. I suppose Coach could start Herbert-Harrigan and Saxton, which would be interesting way to stay fast.

I think when the pollsters start looking at returning rosters and see the players leaving and see South Carolina bringing back a lot from what I think will end up being a top 10 team and adding clear #1 class that USC will get bump into the top 5. But #1 is likely to be Baylor with Oregon, Maryland and maybe UConn. Can't see them not rating UConn way up there.

Reaction Score
Coates and Wilson off the bench. Dozier was the fifth starter, but didn't really get starter minutes. Sometimes she'd be pull 2-3 minutes into the game if the offense was struggling.

I've said before that I think Boston is the most likely freshman to start since there will not be a returning starter at center and L. Williams basically does not play. I suppose Coach could start Herbert-Harrigan and Saxton, which would be interesting way to stay fast.

I think when the pollsters start looking at returning rosters and see the players leaving and see South Carolina bringing back a lot from what I think will end up being a top 10 team and adding clear #1 class that USC will get bump into the top 5. But #1 is likely to be Baylor with Oregon, Maryland and maybe UConn. Can't see them not rating UConn way up there.
You all are forgetting Oregon State in your top 5. Spend some time looking at who is coming back, who is coming in, and you will come to a different view of next year's top 5.

Reaction Score
You all are forgetting Oregon State in your top 5. Spend some time looking at who is coming back, who is coming in, and you will come to a different view of next year's top 5.

Oregon State could certainly be there as well. I did watch them beat South Carolina this year so have respect. We're trying to help their RPI right now.

Reaction Score
I think most of the posters are spending most of their energy on the current top 6 of UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville Oregon and Mississippi State. All six teams are losing a major player (maybe not Oregon). So who are left on the teams and who are they bringing in? Stanford, Oregon State and Maryland are three of the teams who have a nice team returning plus a nice recruiting class.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

I would also make an argument for Stanford with what they have returning plus the class they have. It's not going to be decided in the preseason so I wouldn't put any weight on what the preseason rankings are. This year and for sure next year will be discombobulated from day one....lol..

Reaction Score
I would also make an argument for Stanford with what they have returning plus the class they have. It's not going to be decided in the preseason so I wouldn't put any weight on what the preseason rankings are. This year and for sure next year will be discombobulated from day one....lol..

oh yeah. Stanford.

Not sure there will be a favorite next season. Looks like a big scrum.

Reaction Score
Maryland will easily be a top 5 team next season. With their penchant for having an easy schedule, they could make a legitimate run at #1 by Christmas next season. As mentioned earlier, they only lose Fraser and will welcome the #3 class for 2019 which includes stud talents in Ashley Owusu and Diamond Miller. I really like Maryland a ton next season if Brenda uses her bench effectively which can be a problem for her sometimes (see 2016).

I am really looking forward to Marylands freshmen class next year. Diamond Miller is going to be great for y'all. The key for next year will probably be the development of Austin. Charles, Waton, Mikesell is a really strong core.

I don't know how there could be a clear favorite next year with all the major teams this year are in line to lose some of their big players. I do think Oregon State, Stanford, Maryland, and South Carolina will be ones to watch closely.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Just as a kind of aside is Promise Taylor or her family from Mississippi originally?

If not, what was story behind a Washington state player ending up at Ole Miss and then transferring to Miss State?

No ties. The article below from August will answer your questions. I think people who are unfamiliar with her are going to be pretty surprised at how good she is next year. She gave T a lot of trouble in Oxford last year as a true frosh with a double double...

Transfer Promise Taylor ready to make impact with Bulldogs

Adam, the writer of this article, does a great job covering the State women for his smalltown newspaper and is an AP poll voter. Columbus is 30 miles from Starkville.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Stanford's post rotation will be an issue, especially early in the season. Besides Alanna Smith graduating, we also lose a useful 6'5" rotation player in Shannon Coffee. Nadia Fingall hasn't had her ACL surgery yet (but will soon), so she won't be at full strength even if cleared to play in time for the first game.

So at first the posts will be Maya Dodson, Alyssa Jerome, maybe Fingall, and then whichever of the freshmen are ready to be in the rotation. Maya is very good and should be even better next year as a junior. Alyssa is really better as a 3, but is playing as a post now out of necessity. Freshmen Ashten Prechtel and Fran Belibi may or may not be ready to contribute early.

Of course Haley Jones looks like she'll be ready to jump right in, but she's not a post at the college level. She'll be super at guard.

Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey will be thrilled to see Shannon Coffee graduate. She’s seen enough of Shannon going lights out against Baylor.

I’d agree that Stanford’s post rotation continues to be a concern. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with Marta Sneizek as well, whether she comes back or transfers.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Maybe Maryland?
Watching them Sunday I was thinking the same thing. They’re not in the top tier right now, but their freshmen are fantastic, and if they have anything close to typical sophomore growth, UMD will be a top echelon team.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey will be thrilled to see Shannon Coffee graduate. She’s seen enough of Shannon going lights out against Baylor.

I’d agree that Stanford’s post rotation continues to be a concern. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with Marta Sneizek as well, whether she comes back or transfers.

Stanford is full next year; no open scholarships. In theory Marta could redshirt anyway and either play elsewhere or even walk on at Stanford next season, or she could still play this season. I have no information on her plans; when asked recently, Tara would only say that Marta is working hard to rehab.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom