Next year's #1 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Next year's #1

Reaction Score
We'll see. As I said, the Walker, E-H, Coombs, Gordon class had almost no impact. The year prior CD had her share of excellent games and moments but couldn't be counted on consistently against the better competition. And this year's class has been ONO rarely getting off the bench and a killer start by CW followed by struggles and no impact in the Baylor or Louisville games. A rare exception would be KLS who started slowly and then finished with impact.

Different classes and recruits vary in terms of adjusting to College. Tennessee’s #1 class last year made a impact while Baylor’s this year looks like they need more time to adjust. Just because UCONN’s recruits are struggling don’t mean everyone else will. Walker has certainly made a jump from barely playing last year to being a big provider this year. CW has hit a wall but she has been far from a disappointment and will without a doubt get better going forward. It’s obvious ONO is struggling with strength of other post players. She’s used to being the tallest and strongest on the court but I expect those woes to be behind her next year. While UCONN hasn’t had the impact of an entire class yet it’s still getting big contributions from young players.

As to SC I won’t settle our class short. I think all could come in and impact. They don’t have to be double figure scorers they could do it in many different ways. One for example would be rebounding. Boston, Amihere, and Beal are all outstanding rebounders who will come in and help our biggest deficiency this year. Cooke will also provide another playmaker with the loss of Cuevas-Moore. While I don’t think we’ll be top 5 to start I think we’ll be top 10 and with the growth and chemistry of our veterans next year we could definitely be in the conversation to be top 5.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
We've been really underrated this year, and here we are sitting at 20-1.

Both Louisville and Mississippi State have been seriously counted out this year. And in regards to Louisville, what happened last night again?

Mississippi State was the overwhelming pick to win the SEC by the media and coaches. McCowan was nearly the unanimous choice for preseason SEC POY.

I can’t say I thought for sure you’d be 20–1 at this point in the season, but underrated? No. You’re appropriately rated at this point... if you were 20-1 with SC’s schedule up to this point you’d be the #1 team in the country probably, at least top 3 (at 20-1 with our schedule you probably would’ve played Clemson, Maryland, Oregon State, Notre Dame, Baylor, Purdue and maybe even Duke before Christmas)..

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Mississippi State was the overwhelming pick to win the SEC by the media and coaches. McCowan was nearly the unanimous choice for preseason SEC POY.

I can’t say I thought for sure you’d be 20–1 at this point in the season, but underrated? No. You’re appropriately rated at this point... if you were 20-1 with SC’s schedule up to this point you’d be the #1 team in the country probably, at least top 3 (at 20-1 with our schedule you probably would’ve played Clemson, Maryland, Oregon State, Notre Dame, Baylor, Purdue and maybe even Duke before Christmas)..
Some people cling to their victim complex like a security blanket. I don't know how anyone can claim they've been "underrated" and "seriously counted out" when they've literally been the favorite in every game they've played—including in the one game they lost.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Holy......

I didn't expect my post would excite 6 people. That's the amount of alerts I got after checking this morning.

Fair enough your points are all valid. I'll try not to read into things I observe too much. From my impression, a lot of people think we're just gliding by our cupcake schedule and nothing we do seem to impress people that much. I get that our win vs Marquette was a close one, but Marquette is an elite 8 team who's averaging about 25+ point scoring margin which is about #6 in the country, and that is about their overall ranking if I had to make one. They have a starting lineup full of pure scorers. Every single one.

Everything else we've done operated by expectation if not exceeded some, all except that weird one vs Georgia. I admit I underestimated Oregon, they're better this year. Did just see Utah tighten the ship on them a little bit... but in the end Utah didn't have enough great players to make it a 40 minute game. Megan Huff would start for Vic, but the 4 other players would be riding the bench in Starkville, so I can definitely see that Oregon and Mississippi State are at least a tier better.

I also get the impression that people think Louisville is worse this year. However, as Thursday night proved, they don't look like they've skipped a beat from the team that took Mississippi State down to the goal line stand last year.

I hope I clarified, ya'll! I just enjoy talking basketball, ya'll!

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Holy.

I didn't expect my post would excite 6 people. That's the amount of alerts I got after checking this morning.

Fair enough your points are all valid. I'll try not to read into things I observe too much. From my impression, a lot of people think we're just gliding by our "cupcake" schedule and nothing we do seem to impress people that much. I get that our win vs Marquette was a close one, but Marquette is an elite 8 team who's averaging about 25+ point scoring margin which is about #6 in the country, and that is about their overall ranking if I had to make one. They have a starting lineup full of pure scorers. Every single one.

Everything else we've done operated by expectation if not exceeded some, all except that weird one vs Georgia. I admit I underestimated Oregon, they're better this year. Did just see Utah tighten the ship on them a little bit... but in the end Utah didn't have enough great players to make it a 40 minute game. Megan Huff would start for Vic, but the 4 other players would be riding the bench in Starkville, so I can definitely see that Oregon and Mississippi State are at least a tier better.

I also get the impression that people think Louisville is worse this year. However, as Thursday night proved, they don't look like they've skipped a beat from the team that took Mississippi State down to the goal line stand last year.

Hines-Allen was a big loss for them, some people may have overestimated the loss though, but the Cardinals still have Fuehring and Dunham.. two very tough forwards to mitigate her loss. Jazmine Jones is also a very good blue collar rebounder at guard.

Louisville’s step back will likely come next season when Durr leaves. Unless Evans takes another step forward, which she’s capable of. Either way, I still think they’ll be a top 12 or so team next year.

This current team almost had Yacine Diop.. just think about how good she could’ve been for them.

The Baylor loss surprised me more than the Louisville loss. Being a SC fan, I’ve seen time and time again how Geno is able to take bigs out of a game with gameplanning and floor spacing.. I figured he’d have Collier and KLS ready for Cox/Brown... but they are no Gabby/Tuck. Post play got the better of Geno for once.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Our visiting friends need to remember that immediately after a loss is NOT a good time to come and point out flaws in the UConn team or wax enthusiastically over their teams in a thread about UConn. A gentle reminder - the Boneyard is first and foremost a UConn fan board.

Reaction Score
Depth sure. How much immediate impact? UConn is still struggling to get that out of this year's class and last year got almost none outside of Walker's game against UCLA. It's not that simple to plop freshmen into a team and hope they make you a contender.

Need one post ready to rebound and defend.

Other than that the team can handle improvement with returning players and take the freshmen for whatever they can give.

Not the #1 team but I suspect it starts in top 5.

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Blah blah blah.

"Yes I antagonized my hosts but but but but I had a perceived reason blah blah blah"

Don't ask for clarification if - as I expected as much - nothing I say is going to end up satisfying you.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Don't ask for clarification if - as I expected as much - nothing I say is going to end up satisfying you.
Don't spout a bunch of rude nonsense if—and I expected as much—you don't want to be called out on it.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Don't spout a bunch of rude nonsense if—and I expected as much—you don't want to be called out on it.

Ok. Sorry. Is there anything else? If not....... bye.

Reaction Score

Lol
"Nothing I say"
Did I miss you saying everything?

Even 0.1% contrition would've satisfied.

Reaction Score
We'll see. As I said, the Walker, E-H, Coombs, Gordon class had almost no impact. The year prior CD had her share of excellent games and moments but couldn't be counted on consistently against the better competition. And this year's class has been ONO rarely getting off the bench and a killer start by CW followed by struggles and no impact in the Baylor or Louisville games. A rare exception would be KLS who started slowly and then finished with impact.
This nets out my thoughts as well. I have to factor down any team that is depending on 2+ frosh to play key roles as either starter or sub.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Lol
"Nothing I say"
Did I miss you saying everything?

Even 0.1% contrition would've satisfied.

Ok. I'm am so very sorry UConn lost to Louisville. And I didn't do anything to mitigate that. I mean that. (no sarcasm)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Holy.

Fair enough your points are all valid. I'll try not to read into things I observe too much. From my impression, a lot of people think we're just gliding by our cupcake schedule and nothing we do seem to impress people that much. I get that our win vs Marquette was a close one, but Marquette is an elite 8 team who's averaging about 25+ point scoring margin which is about #6 in the country, and that is about their overall ranking if I had to make one. They have a starting lineup full of pure scorers. Every single one.

I do not evaluate a team by the rank of the opponent but rather the quality of play of the team. I am biased in favor of MSST but early on, in the cupcake games, I
recognized MSST team play had potential to be elite. I also recognized Lou, UCONN, Baylor, Oregon, and ND were playing at the elite level. Based upon the games I have seen todate, I am most impressed by Lou. I believe Lou outplayed every team they played, including ND, and as of today I consider Lou to be the number 1 team, followed by Baylor, Oregon, MSST, UCONN, ND. However, I still believe UCONN will win the National Championship, that belief is mainly due to Geno. UCONN major flaws are depth and size and Baylor and MSST are, IMHO, the teams most likely to deny UCONN the championship.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ok. I'm am so very sorry UConn lost to Louisville. And I didn't do anything to mitigate that. I mean that. (no sarcasm)

Why do you have points of ellipsis at the end of your messages? Are you implying that your message is to be continued?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

All kidding aside, you Boneyarders have been consistently the most amusing people I've encountered on the internet.
Move along, please. Find another thread to participate in

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Need one post ready to rebound and defend.

Other than that the team can handle improvement with returning players and take the freshmen for whatever they can give.

Not the #1 team but I suspect it starts in top 5.

If Cooper returns, I think we’re a solid top 10 team. We’ll be solidly entrenched in our new scheme by then. Cuevas-Moore is a big loss, she spaces the floor and plays the best on ball defense on the team.. but Harris, Cooper, Herbert-Harrigan is a good core. You’ll have Henderson, Grissett, Jackson and Saxton coming off the bench... starter worthy players. Hopefully Williams takes a KiKi-like leap because that would be HUGE.

It’ll be interesting to see how Dawn incorporates the new ladies. I think Boston and Amihere have the most potential for immediate impact, but all will get playing time depending on how quickly the learn our style of defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Huh ???

They won't be. What's ranking have to do with anything. #1 is the winner of the final game, not the 1st game.

Rational ? How do you figure that. As a Longtime Fan you got delivered NC after NC --- by undeniably the best program directors and managers arguably in all of sport and you're ready to jump off a bridge on an off year, or maybe 2-3 years. ---some would call that the definition of IRRATIONAL

--You are entitled to nothing. You are owed nothing, Not by the coach, not by the players.

Buddy - hate to say it but you don't deserve another NC.

FAITHLESS

Go root for the Knicks
Faith people do root for the Knicks. They pretend the team is really one aged player away from winning it all. They disregard the truth and the reality. All you did was change the subject.

Reaction Score
Baylor losing Chloe Jackson and Brown will be hard to replace. I'm interested in seeing how they recover and plug in their strong class. Who will be point guard? They still have some good play returning, along with floor general Lauren Cox. If Cox could learn to hit the three pointer, she would be an elite player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Sabrina stays—I’m not sure she will—I think Oregon is the top team, but only if they make the Final Four with her.

I like Baylor next, because of Cox and next year’s sophomore class, especially Smith and Egbo.

I like Stanford a lot. They seem to have several HS AAs now, and Williams, Carrington, and Dotson are good. Haley Jones is college ready in my opinion.

I look for Miss State to drop after TM leaves. ND also drops, especially if JY leaves. The team hit hardest by graduation may be Marquette—five 1,000 point scorers. Yikes!

UConn will have some elite players, but not enough quality depth. I think we’ll be 5th or so, unless Geno finds some players from unusual sources.

I don’t see SC’s freshmen having great impacts, but they are improving this year and should be top 8-10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom