Next USA WNT Coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Next USA WNT Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Would a WNBA coach be a better choice since most of the players, with the exception of Stewart, will be WNBA players?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was expecting a comment like this because Geno is known to be animated on the sidelines -- as most coaches are -- so I can understand why you made it. However, their histrionics are different. Geno gets angry and shouts and paces and ... well, we know what he does. He may be louder or more intense than many, but he is of the same nature. Kim is of a different nature. In addition to doing the same sorts of things, Kim has the facial expressions, the ongoing whining and the drama queen moves like ripping her clothes off and adopting the over exaggerated expressions that make it appear like she is in a third-rate opera production. And there's also the demonic exaggerated hunched-over pacing that is reminiscent of Grouch Marx or an annoyed Bugs Bunny. I think there is a significant difference.

Plus, my post said that I thought it would be good to see her in other international events first to see if she could dial down the histrionics.

LOL. That's quite a description of Mulkey. But you forgot to mention her clothing choices. I bet she would get a pat on the butt from other Olympic coaches.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that his technicals these days are different than days of yore. The technicals are more geared to getting the refs to refocus....if that's the phrase....I don't know the stats over time exactly, but Geno's demeanor is less aggressive these days and fewer technicals have been called

That would be a great stat to follow: technical foul per coach. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
See Geno Auriemma and Coach K.

They are both great but if Geno doesn't want to coach again is the next best choice a WNBA coach? I like Dan Hughes and think he would coach the team well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How much of a recruiting boost comes along with the title of Olympic Gold Medal winning coach? If any then college coaches shoul not be coaching in the Okympics, IMO...unless its Mulkey, of course.

Reaction Score
Muffet has only one coaching experience in USA Basketball, assistant coach at the 1993 U.S. Olympic Fest. (S). I wonder why so little?

Muffet has said she values her limited time off too much to coach USA basketball.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
How much of a recruiting boost comes along with the title of Olympic Gold Medal winning coach? If any then college coaches shoul not be coaching in the Okympics, IMO...unless its Mulkey, of course.

I think the recruiting impact is pretty limited in and of itself. UConn having six members of the squad might have been a good recruiting tool, but if a high school kid wasn't impressed by (at the time) seven NCs and a 90-game win streak, I'm not sure that an Olympic gold medal would be the kicker that caused her to reconsider UConn.

From a recruiting standpoint, I think it would help someone like Jen or Katie Maier or Doug Bruno. But if the opportunity to be HC of the Olympic team only goes to college coaches with plural NCs in their pocket already, it probably doesn't result in a significant boost.

Reaction Score
Would a WNBA coach be a better choice since most of the players, with the exception of Stewart, will be WNBA players?

A current WNBA coach can't do it. The World Championships overlap with the WNBA playoffs and the Olympics are in the middle of the WNBA season. So it would need to be a retired WNBA coach. The timing of the events is pretty good for a college coach, and college coaches have more resources available to them than a retired WNBA coach.

Whether by USA Basketball design or just Geno's decision USA Basketball was able to leverage of all the resources of the UConn program. Geno had his own college assistants at almost every practice to help teach what he wanted. Those same assistants also did scouting work for him in the NCAA tournament and they again knew what he was looking for. USA Basketball also took advantage of other UConn support staff and facilities as well as the UConn media. There's just a lot more resources available to the very top college coaches.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Whether by USA Basketball design or just Geno's decision USA Basketball was able to leverage of all the resources of the UConn program. Geno had his own college assistants at almost every practice to help teach what he wanted. Those same assistants also did scouting work for him in the NCAA tournament and they again knew what he was looking for. USA Basketball also took advantage of other UConn support staff and facilities as well as the UConn media. There's just a lot more resources available to the very top college coaches.

The precedent for this model of leveraging the resources of the coach's college program was established by Coach K and the USAB men's team. It proved to be very successful and made sense to replicate on the women's side.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think an WNBA coach could swing it - with his/her employer's OK - after all he would miss the same time as his players in terms of games and the prep work could be done on top of the other responsibilities.
I think the real recruiting advantage comes at the lower levels of USA Basketball - actually coaching kids that haven't yet committed. I think that is why you typically do not see the top tier of college program coaches doing those jobs.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Muffet has said she values her limited time off too much to coach USA basketball.

Thanks, I did not know that. Understandable. Does that mean she would turn down an offer to head the National Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom