Next USA WNT Coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next USA WNT Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I kind of think that BG felt snubbed by Team USA when she was not on the initial list last year and therefore she snubbed them back when she removed her name the list.

I didn't think Griner was that shallow.

Reaction Score
with all of the talent that team usa will have, any one of many boneyarders could lead the team to victory.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Must be recruiting time, as we come to the annual occurrence of some of our posters from other school fan base to make innuendos and statements against Geno and UConn. Doesn't matter if they are true or not, just make them to plant seeds. :)

LOL. This had nothing to do with Geno. I was talking about USA basketball as an organization.

And isn't it ALWAYS recruiting time...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
While I am not a coaching expert, I do wonder if it makes sense to entrust the talent on the National Team to a coach who captured only one national championship with what her fans call the best center in the history of basketball and the consensus best guard in the NCAA. Is she the choice for meshing the personalities of professional players when she had issues clashing with her point guard for a time during the season? I'd also like to see her have some other international experience first so USA Basketball could assess whether she can dial down the ridiculous sideline histrionics on the world stage. Regarding Mulkey as an enticement for Griner to play, I hope that is just crazy conjecture. Because if representing your country is not enough of an incentive, who needs you?

I agree. I do not think Mulkey is the best choice. I think she is a good motivator but not the best Xs and Os choice.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Must be recruiting time, as we come to the annual occurrence of some of our posters from other school fan base to make innuendos and statements against Geno and UConn. Doesn't matter if they are true or not, just make them to plant seeds. :)

Wbbfan1, please make note that I am the only poster on the Baylor board who is supporting your assertion that UCONN getting to play regional finals 200 -300 miles from the UCONN campus is not a factor in UCONN being a winning organization. So please make note of that before implying that I will just say anything, whether its true or not. If my goal were to Geno bash I would have joined the chorus on Baylorfans.com.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
While I am not a coaching expert, I do wonder if it makes sense to entrust the talent on the National Team to a coach who captured only one national championship with what her fans call the best center in the history of basketball and the consensus best guard in the NCAA. Is she the choice for meshing the personalities of professional players when she had issues clashing with her point guard for a time during the season? I'd also like to see her have some other international experience first so USA Basketball could assess whether she can dial down the ridiculous sideline histrionics on the world stage. Regarding Mulkey as an enticement for Griner to play, I hope that is just crazy conjecture. Because if representing your country is not enough of an incentive, who needs you?

Really?

We have Geno on the sidelines and you cavil about some other coach's histrionics? :p

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I suspect she can dial the histronics down if she is told to. I assume she played international ball at some point, either in the USA system or overseas? I think it does help to have exposure to what is a somewhat different game than either the W or NCAA versions.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I suspect she can dial the histronics down if she is told to. I assume she played international ball at some point, either in the USA system or overseas? I think it does help to have exposure to what is a somewhat different game than either the W or NCAA versions.

Yes, she won a gold medal as a player in the Olympics.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I didn't think Griner was that shallow.

I cannot believe that some are still trying to hijack this thread away from the coaching choice and towards Griner...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I agree. I do not think Mulkey is the best choice. I think she is a good motivator but not the best Xs and Os choice.

Agreed also. I like Kim, but I think that there are better strategists out there....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - I really got the impression that the BG USA basketball decision was unrelated to the team and USA Basketball and completely personal - and I have seen that on the Baylor board as well. Really enjoy your posts, with an occasional exception and I think this is one.
And I do get the sense of strong respect for Geno and the Uconn program which is appreciated and I certainly didn't think there was innuendo involved with your post toward Geno.
I also see a healthy level of rational thought regarding Baylor from you - which is not something all fans possess (including even a few Huskies fans which always surprises me!:eek:)
On the Kim as coach of USA - I agree with you and some of the others. I would rather see her lead one of the Junior teams before giving her the keys to the Ferrari. She would need to tone down her sideline demeanor, but I don't see that as an issue. While Geno has been a much calmer sideline presence in recent years vs his earlier years, he mentioned frequently how careful he was being now that he was representing something much bigger than Uconn.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I know Russell chose to go to team workouts at Tennessee. So she won't be on the US team this year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
was she better than JennRizz?

My memory of Mulkey (30 years ago you understand) was that she was a floor general. She might have been better running a halfcourt offense than Jen, if not as relentless. I don't want to overstate my memories, but she was my favorite player at the time and I liked her game. She did win 2 NC's.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I suspect she can dial the histronics down if she is told to.
Geno did. Not sure if he was "told to" or it was just assumed/expected. If you notice he was back to picking up Technicals this year.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno did. Not sure if he was "told to" or it was just assumed/expected. If you notice he was back to picking up Technicals this year.

I think that his technicals these days are different than days of yore. The technicals are more geared to getting the refs to refocus....if that's the phrase....I don't know the stats over time exactly, but Geno's demeanor is less aggressive these days and fewer technicals have been called

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think when he was coach of the National Team, he felt a duty to be a little more circumspect.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My memory of Mulkey (30 years ago you understand) was that she was a floor general. She might have been better running a halfcourt offense than Jen, if not as relentless. I don't want to overstate my memories, but she was my favorite player at the time and I liked her game. She did win 2 NC's.
Mulkey was one of the first names I knew of in wcbb

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Really?

We have Geno on the sidelines and you cavil about some other coach's histrionics? :p
I was expecting a comment like this because Geno is known to be animated on the sidelines -- as most coaches are -- so I can understand why you made it. However, their histrionics are different. Geno gets angry and shouts and paces and ... well, we know what he does. He may be louder or more intense than many, but he is of the same nature. Kim is of a different nature. In addition to doing the same sorts of things, Kim has the facial expressions, the ongoing whining and the drama queen moves like ripping her clothes off and adopting the over exaggerated expressions that make it appear like she is in a third-rate opera production. And there's also the demonic exaggerated hunched-over pacing that is reminiscent of Grouch Marx or an annoyed Bugs Bunny. I think there is a significant difference.

Plus, my post said that I thought it would be good to see her in other international events first to see if she could dial down the histrionics.

Reaction Score
Maybe the chances of the best center in the world playing will be greater with Mulkey coaching. Just a guess.

I kind of think that BG felt snubbed by Team USA when she was not on the initial list last year and therefore she snubbed them back when she removed her name the list.

Maybe Sophia Young will have a shot at that point, too.
BG needs to grow up. She lost out on a gold medal for her snit if that was the case.

Reaction Score
Maybe the chances of the best center in the world playing will be greater with Mulkey coaching. Just a guess.

Maybe Sophia Young will have a shot at that point, too.

So her getting school work done and being home for her family were a lie? And you think this why? Is she known to lie a lot, have ulterior motives, doesn't sound right.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So her getting school work done and being home for her family were a lie? And you think this why? Is she known to lie a lot, have ulterior motives, doesn't sound right.

I said that I think there were multiple reasons. No, I do not buy that school and family were the only reasons.

People don't always reveal everything, nor are they obligated to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom