Next USA WNT Coach | The Boneyard

Next USA WNT Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I've been thinking that it's about that time for USA Basketball to name the next coach of the Women's National Team. (Geno was named in April, 2009). Well, John A tweeted that the rumored frontrunner for the job is: Kim Mulkey.

I was thinking of Dawn Staley.

We should know soon.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley was head coach of the Pan American Games team in 2007, then Head Coach of the Select Team in 2010. I don't believe Kim Mulkey has any USA experience, which surprises me. I'll have to check to see if anyone has even becomes head of the National Team without prior USA Basketball experience. It would surprise me.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
1976 Billie Jean Moore— 75 Pan Am, 75 World championship, 73 WUG,
1980 Sue Gunter— 76 Olympics
1984 Pat Head Summitt— 83 World,79 Pan am, others
1988 Kay Yow— 86 Goodwill, 86 World's, 84 Olympics, others
1992 Theresa Grentz—90 Goodwill, 90 World's, 85 R. William Jones Cup, others
1996 Tara Vanderveer— 94 Goodwill, 94 World's, 91 WUG, others
2000 Nell Fortner— 98 R. William Jones Cup, 95 National team, others
2004 Van Chancellor— 02 World's
2008 Anne Donovan— 04 Olympics,, 02 World's
2012 Geno Auriemma— 00 Junior World, 00 Olympics, others

The above is a partial list of other USA Basketball experience.

After filling it out, I realize it is a bit unfair, the next National Team Head Coach will start at the World's in 2014, so this may be like Van Chancellor, who had no USA Basketball experience before being (effectively) named the next Olympic coach. Still, it isn't the usual path.

After checking further, I think Van is the only exception - someone who headed the National team with no prior USA Basketball experience.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Today, they did name the head coaches of the U19 World Championship, and World University Games Team Trials.
  • Matt Corkery of American University
  • Bobbie Kelsey of the University of Wisconsin
  • Matilda Mossman The University of Tulsa
Edit: I originally misread, but the words are fine, these are the coaches for the trials, not the events themselves.

I did a double take on that one too. The U19 coaches are the same as coached the U18 team: Katie Meier (HC), Nikki Caldwell (asst) and Kelly Graves (asst). The WUG coaches are Sherri Coale (HC), Brian Giorgis (asst) and Coquese Washington (asst).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe the chances of the best center in the world playing will be greater with Mulkey coaching. Just a guess.

I kind of think that BG felt snubbed by Team USA when she was not on the initial list last year and therefore she snubbed them back when she removed her name the list.

Maybe Sophia Young will have a shot at that point, too.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Muffet has only one coaching experience in USA Basketball, assistant coach at the 1993 U.S. Olympic Fest. (S). I wonder why so little?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Maybe the chances of the best center in the world playing will be greater with Mulkey coaching. Just a guess.

Yeah, that occurred to me, and may be a consideration.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I kind of think that BG felt snubbed by Team USA when she was not on the initial list last year and therefore she snubbed them back when she removed her name the list.

Wow. Where do you get this stuff? In no way was Britney Griner snubbed by USA Basketball. Eleven of the 12 team members were announced on March 30, 2012 which was on the eve of the 2012 Final Four. That final spot was being held for Griner but she wasn't named in order not to interfere with Griner and Baylor and their efforts to win a National Championship. The spot was held open for Griner to make a decision after the Final Four. As Geno said when asked about the final spot:

Only 11 of the 12 roster spots were announced in front of a celebratory crowd waving American flags at the NCAA women's Final Four. The final spot could go to Baylor junior Brittney Griner, who is playing in the Final Four this weekend in Denver. "Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Brittney Griner," Auriemma said. "Do I think a 6-foot-8 kid who is playing this weekend could help us be even better, yeah I think so."

BTW, after Griner declined USA Basketball's invitation to fill the final roster spot, that spot went to Asjha Jones, a 32-year old veteran player who had never played on a USA National Team. Asjha didn't allow herself to feel snubbed. She was grateful for the opportunity to represent her country and, despite much criticism over her selection, played a huge role in USA's semi-final win over Australia. I bet Sophia Young would have been thrilled to fill that 12 roster spot too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting speculation. (and UconnCat - thanks for setting that particular record straight - it was purely a personal reason for BG and USA was leaving the door open until she made that decision.)
Wonder if Bruno would be getting any consideration - he has done a lot of USA work. Wonder if they might go back to the WNBA ranks for the HC. Staley has certainly put in her dues with USA. Kim? Muffet? (has Muffet done any USA work previously?)
And then there is Jen - who has done a fair amount of HC work at the Junior level. (But that would send some parts of the country around the bend!)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Wow. Where do you get this stuff? In no way was Britney Griner snubbed by USA Basketball. Eleven of the 12 team members were announced on March 30, 2012 which was on the eve of the 2012 Final Four. That final spot was being held for Griner but she wasn't named in order not to interfere with Griner and Baylor and their efforts to win a National Championship. The spot was held open for Griner to make a decision after the Final Four. As Geno said when asked about the final spot:

Only 11 of the 12 roster spots were announced in front of a celebratory crowd waving American flags at the NCAA women's Final Four. The final spot could go to Baylor junior Brittney Griner, who is playing in the Final Four this weekend in Denver. "Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Brittney Griner," Auriemma said. "Do I think a 6-foot-8 kid who is playing this weekend could help us be even better, yeah I think so."

BTW, after Griner declined USA Basketball's invitation to fill the final roster spot, that spot went to Asjha Jones, a 32-year old veteran player who had never played on a USA National Team. Asjha didn't allow herself to feel snubbed. She was grateful for the opportunity to represent her country and, despite much criticism over her selection, played a huge role in USA's semi-final win over Australia. I bet Sophia Young would have been thrilled to fill that 12 roster spot too.

Has anyone ever confirmed that Griner was told that a spot was being held for her? If not, how do you know that it was? At least I admit mine is speculation and don't present it as a fact. I think there were multiple reasons that BG did not play and that this could be one of them.

Had a spot been held for Griner they would have named her to the team immediately after the Final Four had concluded. She didn't turn down an invitation, she withdrew her name. There is a big difference.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever confirmed that Griner was told that a spot was being held for her? If not, how do you know that it was? At least I admit mine is speculation and don't present it as a fact. quote]

..and, yet, you describe BG as the best center on the planet, without qualifying that as speculatiion, and not a fact. Now, BG may turn out to be that - but, not having played a single minute (to my knowledge) against anything but college competition, I find that to be speculation.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever confirmed that Griner was told that a spot was being held for her? If not, how do you know that it was? At least I admit mine is speculation and don't present it as a fact. I think there were multiple reasons that BG did not play and that this could be one of them.

Had a spot been held for Griner they would have named her to the team immediately after the Final Four had concluded. She didn't turn down an invitation, she withdrew her name. There is a big difference.

PLease re-read Cat's post carefully:

Eleven of the 12 team members were announced on March 30, 2012 which was on the eve of the 2012 Final Four. That final spot was being held for Griner but she wasn't named in order not to interfere with Griner and Baylor and their efforts to win a National Championship. The spot was held open for Griner to make a decision after the Final Four.

As Geno said when asked about the final spot:

everything points to the spot being held for Griner. this is old news, really...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

They weren't going to name her to the team unless they were sure she would accept. How embarrassing would it be to both parties had she been named and had Griner then said no? Do you seriously think there wasn't communication between USA Basketball and Griner while she was making her decision or that USA Basketball didn't give her the time she needed? USA Basketball is a well-run organization that goes to great lengths to protect its brand and to protect its athletes. It would never set up a dynamic that would allow a highly visible athlete to decline a selection to a national team.

The difference between turning down selection and withdrawing your name from consideration is not unique to USA Basketball and is often done to protect the two parties involved (i.e., USAB is not rejected and a player does not technically reject a selection). Geno's comments before and after Griner's decision all but said that the spot was hers. Griner announced her decision and offered up reasons why she declined to play in the Olympics (school and family). USAB CEO Jim Tooley said "it's unfortunate Brittney is unable to participate on USA Basketball this summer." Why would Tooley say that Brittney's decision meant she wouldn't participate in USA Basketball this summer (i.e., the Olympics) if that wasn't the consequence of her decision? Griner announced her decision on April 19 and Asjha was named on April 23.

In a Nov 2013 interview with espn, Griner talked about her reasons for turning down the Olympics:

ELENA BERGERON: What happened with the Olympics? Why did you choose not to compete?
BRITTNEY GRINER: I chose to stay in school. It would've set me back a little bit in my classes and in my graduation time. I just really wanted to knock that out of the way first.

BERGERON: For a lot of athletes, that would've been a no-brainer. The Olympics were a bigger stage; the marketing opportunities and the chance to win a gold medal seem like too much to pass up. Do you feel as if that's something that will be there in the future?
I definitely think it'll be there in my future, and I will definitely try to pursue it again. At the time, me and my family, we just felt like it was good for me to stay.

If you want to believe that she didn't turn down the Olympics that's your choice but it's a belief that is contradicted by the timing of decisions and the statements of the parties involved, including Griner. BTW, I have no problem with Griner's decision. I respect her reasons and she'll have opportunities to play for USAB in the future.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They weren't going to name her to the team unless they were sure she would accept. How embarrassing would it be to both parties had she been named and had Griner then said no? Do you seriously think there wasn't communication between USA Basketball and Griner while she was making her decision or that USA Basketball didn't give her the time she needed? USA Basketball is a well-run organization that goes to great lengths to protect its brand and to protect its athletes. It would never set up a dynamic that would allow a highly visible athlete to decline a selection to a national team.

The difference between turning down selection and withdrawing your name from consideration is not unique to USA Basketball and is often done to protect the two parties involved (i.e., USAB is not rejected and a player does not technically reject a selection). Geno's comments before and after Griner's decision all but said that the spot was hers. Griner announced her decision and offered up reasons why she declined to play in the Olympics (school and family). USAB CEO Jim Tooley said "it's unfortunate Brittney is unable to participate on USA Basketball this summer." Why would Tooley say that Brittney's decision meant she wouldn't participate in USA Basketball this summer (i.e., the Olympics) if that wasn't the consequence of her decision? Griner announced her decision on April 19 and Asjha was named on April 23.

In a Nov 2013 interview with espn, Griner talked about her reasons for turning down the Olympics:

ELENA BERGERON: What happened with the Olympics? Why did you choose not to compete?
BRITTNEY GRINER: I chose to stay in school. It would've set me back a little bit in my classes and in my graduation time. I just really wanted to knock that out of the way first.

BERGERON: For a lot of athletes, that would've been a no-brainer. The Olympics were a bigger stage; the marketing opportunities and the chance to win a gold medal seem like too much to pass up. Do you feel as if that's something that will be there in the future?
I definitely think it'll be there in my future, and I will definitely try to pursue it again. At the time, me and my family, we just felt like it was good for me to stay.

If you want to believe that she didn't turn down the Olympics that's your choice but it's a belief that is contradicted by the timing of decisions and the statements of the parties involved, including Griner. BTW, I have no problem with Griner's decision. I respect her reasons and she'll have opportunities to play for USAB in the future.

I think there were multiple reasons, and my speculation was that this was one of them. I have a list of factors that I think contributed to her decisions and we all know that there is usually more than meets the eye.

I also think that her father had more input on the decision than has been discussed.

I doubt that we'll ever know for sure, but I DO think she will prove herself to be the best center in the world in a few months.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Today, they did name the head coaches of the U19 World Championship, and World University Games Team Trials.
  • Matt Corkery of American University
  • Bobbie Kelsey of the University of Wisconsin
  • Matilda Mossman The University of Tulsa
Edit: I originally misread, but the words are fine, these are the coaches for the trials, not the events themselves.
I met Matilda Mossman at a Univ of Tulsa Wom B Ball game in January. Really classy lady! She was gushing over geno and our program. My future son in law works for the Univ of Tulsa in Athletic Dept. ironic- now we will be in the same conference. UT really gave Stanford a run for the money in their 1 vs 16 game! Took a long time to put game out of reach.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

Only 11 of the 12 roster spots were announced in front of a celebratory crowd waving American flags at the NCAA women's Final Four. The final spot could go to Baylor junior Brittney Griner, who is playing in the Final Four this weekend in Denver. "Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Brittney Griner," Auriemma said. "Do I think a 6-foot-8 kid who is playing this weekend could help us be even better, yeah I think so." U connCat- that's the way it was- Geno was very public that the last spot was hers if she wanted it . Geno spent a lot of time with Brittney in during USA practices in Philadelphia I think it was . He was really sincere about how he liked her even more as he got to know her more. Who declines the Olympics?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Must be recruiting time, as we come to the annual occurrence of some of our posters from other school fan base to make innuendos and statements against Geno and UConn. Doesn't matter if they are true or not, just make them to plant seeds. :)

I think there were multiple reasons, and my speculation was that this was one of them. I have a list of factors that I think contributed to her decisions and we all know that there is usually more than meets the eye.

I also think that her father had more input on the decision than has been discussed.

I doubt that we'll ever know for sure, but I DO think she will prove herself to be the best center in the world in a few months.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Geesh, this is getting embarrassing. Sometimes the best move really is to fold.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
While I am not a coaching expert, I do wonder if it makes sense to entrust the talent on the National Team to a coach who captured only one national championship with what her fans call the best center in the history of basketball and the consensus best guard in the NCAA. Is she the choice for meshing the personalities of professional players when she had issues clashing with her point guard for a time during the season? I'd also like to see her have some other international experience first so USA Basketball could assess whether she can dial down the ridiculous sideline histrionics on the world stage. Regarding Mulkey as an enticement for Griner to play, I hope that is just crazy conjecture. Because if representing your country is not enough of an incentive, who needs you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom