Next season, our coach | The Boneyard

Next season, our coach

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
will have an easy time exceeding low expectations for our team

Be it Ollie or somebody else, we have a decent roster (for now anyhow) and if we remain injury free then they can be rather good

I believe Ollie should get another year, but I realize there's a chance it won't be him. Should there be a new coach, he's stepping into a can't lose situation and will probably look very good next year

Reaction Score
UConn has pedigree and blue blood history and as long as that remains, every coach who comes here will be compared to the Calhoun standard. When a fan base has experienced the type of run we all have during JC's era, expectations for continued success........top 25 ranking, top tier of regular season conference table, second weekend of tournament, top 20 recruiting class, nba pipeline, etc should be the norm. While I agree that Ollie has set a very low floor the past two years that next year's on court performance for a new coach would be quite low for UConn standards, the pressure to the right this ship will be immense. W-L record aside, next year will be all about recruiting new players and engaging an old, angry fan base.

Reaction Score
How do we have a decent roster? Jalen/Vital then ? marks. Yes, expectations will be low but there will have to be a surprise of scoring, rebounding and shooting talent. Sid and 3 freshmen are not 1 and done talent. We don't have anyone but Jalen if he comes back that is proven high level talent.

Blaze strategy will be tested next season if the roster stays intact. Will see.

Reaction Score
All I want to know is, Can Wilson get to spots on the floor that Larrier can't get to? Because with Alterique, Adams and Vital, they are going to need a guy like Wilson out there. UConn had to rely on Anderson this year for lack of other options as a 3rd or 4th scorer.

Reaction Score
All I want to know is, Can Wilson get to spots on the floor that Larrier can't get to? Because with Alterique, Adams and Vital, they are going to need a guy like Wilson out there. UConn had to rely on Anderson this year for lack of other options as a 3rd or 4th scorer.
Wilson will be more like Deandre Daniels freshman year than Rip Hamilton.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we don't make an effort to play Diarra, Carlton, Williams and Cobb, and to get them the ball, we will struggle on offense. Our offensive system is a disaster. While we have lots of talent coming back, it isn't complimentary. We need to get a much higher percentage of our shots and points from the front court.
  • Adams - plays much better as PG with the ball in hands. Mediocre off ball shooter
  • Gilbert - plays much better as PG with the ball in hands. Mediocre off ball shooter
  • Akinjo - Supposedly plays much better as PG with the ball in hands. Mediocre off ball shooter
  • Vital - Can shoot if he isn't moving. Best on kick-outs. Not good shooting off the dribble or coming off of ball screens.
  • Polley - showed some potential as a shooter

Reaction Score
I think it's a little early to speculate. We don't know what the coaching situation is and we don't know what the roster will look like.

Reaction Score

Oh---was hoping he was more mobile than that. If that's the case, I expect Vital will be seeing a lot of playing time in the 3 guard offense. Otherwise, gotta hope Polley somehow makes a huge leap in his play.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
A lot depends if Coach Ollie or a new coach can keep the new kids committed along with the current kids. Also , new coaches sometimes get former recruited kids to travel with them.

Reaction Score

If Wilson can dribble in the same spot he can get to the spots on the floor Larrier can get to.:eek: If he can dribble it 3-4 times and then either shoot it or pass it to a teammate we also will have 100 turnovers less.

Reaction Score
I would bet a lot of money that this isn’t the case. He is legit, and has much better ball skills than Daniels did as a freshman. Wilson will get a lot of minutes right away.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If we don't make an effort to play Diarra, Carlton, Williams and Cobb, and to get them the ball, we will struggle on offense. Our offensive system is a disaster. While we have lots of talent coming back, it isn't complimentary. We need to get a much higher percentage of our shots and points from the front court.
  • Adams - plays much better as PG with the ball in hands. Mediocre off ball shooter
  • Gilbert - plays much better as PG with the ball in hands. Mediocre off ball shooter
  • Akinjo - Supposedly plays much better as PG with the ball in hands. Mediocre off ball shooter
  • Vital - Can shoot if he isn't moving. Best on kick-outs. Not good shooting off the dribble or coming off of ball screens.

We need to run more motion or flex sets to get baskets. We don’t have many shot creators. We need he system to do it.

And dear god can we get some high low from the bigs?

High post to low post dump downs for layups/dunks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Larrier got to his spots it was what happened after the ball that was delivered that was the issue. Bad decisions, hesitation and off balance shots were often the result.

Wish him well though.

Reaction Score

Theyre incomparable as players to me. Wilson is a true 3, with some 2-man ball skills. He's not going to back anyone down on the elbow like daniels would.

Reaction Score
will have an easy time exceeding low expectations for our team

Be it Ollie or somebody else, we have a decent roster (for now anyhow) and if we remain injury free then they can be rather good

I believe Ollie should get another year, but I realize there's a chance it won't be him. Should there be a new coach, he's stepping into a can't lose situation and will probably look very good next year
But those wins wouldn’t count because he would be winning with KO’s players

Reaction Score
So this is why the concern for next season. Someone else is coming who can shoot, Mathews?

Reaction Score
I'm most excited about Wilson for the newcomers, looks like a more explosive Vance Jackson. (I love akinjo too)

Reaction Score
stepping into a can't lose situation and will probably look very good next year
20 wins in year 1 will have people jumping up and down.

The 2nd or 3rd year is where it gets interesting. By the 3rd year ppl might start expecting sweet 16s, at least, again.

Reaction Score
I would bet a lot of money that this isn’t the case. He is legit, and has much better ball skills than Daniels did as a freshman. Wilson will get a lot of minutes right away.
You forget that Daniels was a borderline top ten recruit, don’t you?

Reaction Score
You forget that Daniels was a borderline top ten recruit, don’t you?
That’s irrelevant to this, since we already know that he averaged only 3 PPG as a freshman. I believe Wilson will be closer to 15 than 3 IMO. He was destroying AAU ball before reclassifying and choosing St John’s, and he’s also had a full year of practice now. Time will tell, but I like his odds.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Whoever is coach next year has his hands full.

We do not have a good roster - any attrition, and there will be attrition, will not help.

Without Adams, we’re going to be pulverized. No Adams and the same coaching effort? We’ll win 10-12 games.

The front court will remain lousy - there’s such a deficit of talent there. The backcourt, absent Adams, won’t have a single proven point guard or shooter. The only player who has demonstrated that he can get his own shot is Vital and he does that by taking three steps back and flinging a 24’ three.

We gots trouble for a couple of years. This is what those of us whining about recruiting for the past two years have been worrying about - the bill really comes due next year if Adams leaves.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So this is why the concern for next season. Someone else is coming who can shoot, Mathews?

Jalen and Gilbert should be shooting 500 3 pointers a day every day all summer. Polley too. Vital should as well and should work on shooting off of motion. They don’t need to be Ray Allen. They need to reach healthy AJ Price levels. I don’t think Matthews will get much court time if players all come back. Not sure how Wilson is as a shooter, but he’s an option too.

If Adams and Gilbert can each shoot like Price, they will be able to get the ball to our bigs, or drive to the basket. We have plenty of weapons if the system is intelligent and we rebound and play defense.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Jalen and Gilbert should be shooting 500 3 pointers a day every day all summer. Polley too. Vital should as well and should work on shooting off of motion. They don’t need to be Ray Allen. They need to reach healthy AJ Price levels. I don’t think Matthews will get much court time if players all come back. Not sure how Wilson is as a shooter, but he’s an option too.

If Adams and Gilbert can each shoot like Price, they will be able to get the ball to our bigs, or drive to the basket. We have plenty of weapons if the system is intelligent and we rebound and play defense.

We need a new offense. We don’t have nearly enough creators to run that offense.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We need a new offense. We don’t have nearly enough creators to run that offense.

Oh absolutely. That’s why I said “intelligent offense”. In my mind, that excludes this one.

Reaction Score

Good college players are MAKING 500 a day. Dedicated ones are making 1000. Seriously

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom