Next out: Joe D Official | The Boneyard

Next out: Joe D Official

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
1080 is out. We’re on obscure FM and your phone app(s) now.
Because WTIC does not tow the leftist line

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
For all these years, did Joe D just do UConn MBB and Football with nothing else to do? If so, was this is only job?

I know he had the radio show with Gresh for a while as something else aside from games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For all these years, did Joe D just do UConn MBB and Football with nothing else to do? If so, was this is only job?

I know he had the radio show with Gresh for a while as something else aside from games.

He used to do sports on WVIT. He worked at ESPN radio as an update guy. He’s always been on and off WTIC doing all sorts of stuff.

I think he hosted ESPN radio pre-game baseball shows for a while too.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
1080 is out. We’re on obscure FM and your phone app(s) now.
Because WTIC does not tow the leftist line

As a righty, I'm not fully buying into the political spin entercom has tried to put on this. Have they released the terms of the offer to prove their package was more lucrative? I'm hoping this new deal has an actual radio network. Somehow 1080 and its claimed 50k watts could never reach FF County ....and yet no deal was ever made to simulcast down here, what a shame.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Joe D is the poor man’s Boomer. Berman used to do ch 20 or ch 30 then caught lightening in a bottle.
As for the switch now to a feeble FM station and the internet, our school has been fairly poor in explaining.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As a righty, I'm not fully buying into the political spin entercom has tried to put on this. Have they released the terms of the offer to prove their package was more lucrative? I'm hoping this new deal has an actual radio network. Somehow 1080 and its claimed 50k watts could never reach FF County ....and yet no deal was ever made to simulcast down here, what a shame.

It is 50k watts it’s a just directional antennae that points in a different direction.

There were deals in the old days. When I lived in Fairfield they were on WICC.

Don’t know why they never made more after that batch died on the vein.

Reaction Score
there's literally no proof that it had anything to do with politics. they just know that nimrods like the poster above would believe it because they believe everything else they hear on AM talk show radio

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
there's literally no proof that it had anything to do with politics. they just know that nimrods like the poster above would believe it because they believe everything else they hear on AM talk show radio

I’d be pretty surprised if the content wasn’t a big part of the decision.

Reaction Score
Their signal is funny. When I travelled to the mountains of PA or Mid Maine the signal would come in quite well. I have always heard that although they could be heard at great distances there was a dead zone in southeastern CT.

Reaction Score
I’d be pretty surprised if the content wasn’t a big part of the decision.
I'd be pretty surprised if money wasn't a bigger part. Trying to paint it as a left/right thing in regards to content is disingenuous to all reasonable people on the political spectrum. The people who do shows on AM radio are playing to the lowest common denominator and will say anything for a nickel. If it's about content, it's not about left/right. It's about not associating yourself with a bunch of morons.

Reaction Score
The apps suck. It’s much better on the radio.
I never really have an issue. The best part about listening on an app is that you can pause.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd be pretty surprised if money wasn't a bigger part. Trying to paint it as a left/right thing in regards to content is disingenuous to all reasonable people on the political spectrum. The people who do shows on AM radio are playing to the lowest common denominator and will say anything for a nickel. If it's about content, it's not about left/right. It's about not associating yourself with a bunch of morons.

I’d love to see the deals but they did tie themselves to a company that declared bankruptcy later that week and has so much debt they can’t invest in technology.

It’s a huge step back in the number of people who will listen.

Only old people listen to AM? Go to a game - that’s the fanbase.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see the deals but they did tie themselves to a company that declared bankruptcy later that week and has so much debt they can’t invest in technology.

It’s a huge step back in the number of people who will listen.

Only old people listen to AM? Go to a game - that’s the fanbase.
Basically unrelated, but who do you think lasts longer? UConn football or the old people listening to games on AM radio.

Reaction Score
only old people listen to AM radio. the medium is dying. get a smart phone and an app and catch up with the 21st century.
I'm not old and listen to AM radio. When I got my first car I don't think FM was even an option. You have a poor definition of old. You will find the older you get the threshold of being old continues to go up. BTW. I have a smartphone and worked as an EE for a company that developed a lot of the technology used in the smartphone. Like most technology it was developed for military purposes at the expense of the DOD.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Here's the thing on the political spin. If Entercom made a better offer and Malloy /Herbst turned it down, wouldn't that be something their station could of had a field day with? Why didn't they go to the next level and actually release the details of their offer and challenge ESPN to do the same? If the University took less money because they didn't like the WTIC non sports content, then I would have a problem with decision. If its a tie, or virtually a tie, then well tough .

Reaction Score
I'm not old and listen to AM radio. When I got my first car I don't think FM was even an option. You have a poor definition of old. You will find the older you get the threshold of being old continues to go up. BTW. I have a smartphone and worked as an EE for a company that developed a lot of the technology used in the smartphone. Like most technology it was developed for military purposes at the expense of the DOD.
FM radio started being somewhat common in cars during the 60s...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom