Next Big East Media Deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next Big East Media Deal

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel like the big east is a good investment for many channels. You get a lot of inventory and you get a lot of good brands. But you dont have to pay outrageous football money to get it. I read that Tbs wanted more live sports. Not sure you want to be on that channel but the BE is what they would want to invest in. Good inventory at basketball pay.
The Big East is a good conference for anyone who wants to build online content over a lot of sports. Yeah, you have your marquee games which will be on linear TV, but you also have lesser conference matchups, plus baseball, soccer, etc..

Reaction Score
Fox increased their inventory with the big 10 and big 12 deals…the big east might have to wait till next year till they can negotiate with all the media outlets… but I think with all that has happened this past year with the new coaching hires and uconn winning the national championship… the big east should get a big bump in tv revenue
You are somewhat incorrect. Big 10 basketball inventory is about the same, but Big 12 went up and they lost (at least as of now) the Pac 12 inventory. And FOX only has one conference tournament, the Big East. In other words, they have the time slots for the Big East.

Reaction Score
I feel like the big east is a good investment for many channels. You get a lot of inventory and you get a lot of good brands. But you dont have to pay outrageous football money to get it. I read that Tbs wanted more live sports. Not sure you want to be on that channel but the BE is what they would want to invest in. Good inventory at basketball pay.
TBS gets broader distribution in more homes than FS1. Given the choice you want TBS. Ultimately it's a moot point, as I don't think the Big East will have that as an option.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn may not even be in the new Big East next year. ACC or B12 are possible. B10 a future option.

There is zero chance that UConn will be in the Big 12 or the ACC next year. There’s next to zero chance that UConn will be in the Big Ten in the next century.

The best thing that the Big East has going for it is that it’s cheap.

It’s either gonna be good news - Fox wants to renew - or it’s gonna be bad news - they don’t. Like the Pac12 is finding out, if you do not get what you want from the traditional sports outlets, there’s no savior out there waiting.

Reaction Score
It is a predictable market.

While sports media rights value have been soaring, it has been so mainly for the P2 conferences. And seems centered around football.

The market seems to clamor for the bigger brand football match ups and if your program is lucky enough to be a historic coat tail rider of those bigger brands, you got lucky.

Maybe, someday, basketball regular season will be the draw that regular season football is and valued at near the same level...but not in the near future.

Duke/UNC matches are always one of the most watched regular season basketball games...is that valued ? The programs think that they're sweet, but the bees don't know it. Just follow the bees to find out where the honey is.

Reaction Score
You are somewhat incorrect. Big 10 basketball inventory is about the same, but Big 12 went up and they lost (at least as of now) the Pac 12 inventory. And FOX only has one conference tournament, the Big East. In other words, they have the time slots for the Big East.
Plus, a number in the amount of games has not been said for FOX/FS1 on the Big 12 in 2025. FOX Sports is getting the secondary package of the deal. So, it might be around 30 games.

If FOX Sports doesn't keep the Pac-12, that opens up 22 basketball slots.

Fox is also happy with it's Mountain West Conference deal with 32 games.

Big East Conference fills 150 plus windows on FOX, FS1 and FS2. This partnership will continue for years to come.

Reaction Score
If FOX Sports doesn't keep the Pac-12, that opens up 22 basketball slots.

Sure.. but it's 22 basketball time-slots that are typically poor fits for an East Coast conference. I think the bigger point is some of the more optimistic guesses at any new deal are likely well off base. Estimates even before the Big XII spots increased had a more modest increase (to perhaps 6-6.5M per team, per year) than some of the guesses that were being thrown out (commonly 8M, some as high as 10M). Given the changes and money already soaked up by other deals those modest guesses are even more likely.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would hitch the Big East's wagon to any of the streaming services in a heartbeat. Does anyone think that Apple or Amazon will not be successful in streaming sports if they decided to do it? I know Iger has said he won't spin off ESPN, but he is 72 years old and won't be around long. What happens to ESPN if the next Disney CEO spins it off in 3 years? Probably a lot of lumberjack competitions. Which horse would you rather bet on, ESPN or a streaming service like Amazon, Apple or Netflix? Is it even a question?

Reaction Score
I would hitch the Big East's wagon to any of the streaming services in a heartbeat. Does anyone think that Apple or Amazon will not be successful in streaming sports if they decided to do it? I know Iger has said he won't spin off ESPN, but he is 72 years old and won't be around long. What happens to ESPN if the next Disney CEO spins it off in 3 years? Probably a lot of lumberjack competitions. Which horse would you rather bet on, ESPN or a streaming service like Amazon, Apple or Netflix? Is it even a question?
Very interesting topic.. I wonder if there is a market for the big east streaming… I don’t even own a tv and im a boomer… i do think streaming is the future… the question is …when is the future

Reaction Score
Apple and Amazon already stream sports. Apple streams Friday Night MLB games, and Amazon gets Thursday Night NFL games.

Reaction Score
I wholeheartedly agree. ESPN laying off thousands - At one time it was must have for all sports fans. Its programming has really dropped off

Reaction Score
I wholeheartedly agree. ESPN laying off thousands - At one time it was must have for all sports fans. Its programming has really dropped off
It's not ESPN, it's Disney. All tech companies going through it right now.

Reaction Score
Maybe...the high water mark for sports inventory purchase was with the SEC and Big Ten contracts.

It seems like their may be a recession of sorts for the purchase of sports....a reluctance by possible rights purchasers to shell out big bucks...

Even streaming companies are not bidding wildly.

Reaction Score
Maybe...the high water mark for sports inventory purchase was with the SEC and Big Ten contracts.

It seems like their may be a recession of sorts for the purchase of sports....a reluctance by possible rights purchasers to shell out big bucks...

Even streaming companies are not bidding wildly.
We're not there yet, but to reach that next high water mark will require essentially ending the conference concept for the big money football programs. Once those 20 or 30 teams find themselves maxed out and unable to continue infinite revenue growth because they're carrying so much legacy dead weight in their conferences is when you'll see the real fireworks.

Reaction Score
So the question is if the NBE deal requires a GOR, does UConn sign?

Reaction Score
That would be so stupid to bind UConn to the New Big East when two major conferences may soon ask UConn to join.

Reaction Score
When hell freezes over. There would have to be some exceptions made for UConn since it brings much more value than say depaul and is the only program looking for a football home. All things being equal -

no-office.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom