Next Big East Media Deal | The Boneyard

Next Big East Media Deal

Reaction Score
I think the next big east deal will be split between fox cbs and espn…fox has a lot more content this time around with the big 10 and the big 12…my guess is 6 to 8 million per year per school

Reaction Score
I think the next big east deal will be split between fox cbs and espn…fox has a lot more content this time around with the big 10 and the big 12…my guess is 6 to 8 million per year per school
FOX has about the same number of Big 10 games, lost (at least so far) the PAC 12, and gained some Big 12 games. But, FOX is the only network without a conference tournament in the future. I think BE and FOX strike a deal.

Reaction Score
Make it a short deal (4-6 years) and lock in for 8-10M/per school and I'd be happy. 6-8M would be very disappointing

Reaction Score
I have really been excited about the big east this year..but we need to get the whole country excited also…i hope the big east makes a statement in the tournament this year…like the old big east did.. then maybe we will be talking about 8-10 million per team per year

Reaction Score
Big East had a great year. All the teams in the tournament (UCONN, Xavier, Creighton, Marquette) are capable of deep runs. Providence might get an upset or 2 as well.

The Big East office needs to use this and get the conference a great TV deal. A great Big East media deal will help UCONN to negotiate with the next conference if it does decide to leave.

Reaction Score
Bad Bad start for BIG EAST. SH & VILL fall immediately. Xavier down double digits in 2nd half.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We have to hope for the best. I hope it will be at least $8M+ per year.

I think what we’re seeing with the PAC to some extent is that the market has kind of closed up shop - the Big East is obviously not the commitment that the football conferences are, but it’s just basketball and we’ve seen that the networks do not care about it.

We’re also last to market which is not ideal/

I’m hoping for Fox and $6M a year, but not optimistic.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I think what we’re seeing with the PAC to some extent is that the market has kind of closed up shop - the Big East is obviously not the commitment that the football conferences are, but it’s just basketball and we’ve seen that the networks do not care about it.

We’re also last to market which is not ideal/

I’m hoping for Fox and $6M a year, but not optimistic.
There will almost assuredly be SOME form of streaming involved in this deal IMO. There’s just no way to avoid it at this point. If the Big Ten is playing games exclusive to Peacock, there‘s no way that we won’t have some form of streaming too.

I’ll be curious if CBSSN plays a bigger role going forwards- they could be a way for the BE to keep a lot of their games on linear TV Now that FOX has committed more inventory to the Big 12 and Big Ten.

The streaming component gets interesting. Apple and Amazon seem to have very established approaches for streaming- Apple wants everything or nothing, Amazon seems to want 1 major event/game per week. Don’t think they’re options for the Big East with this mindset.

Could Peacock be interested? ESPN+ isn’t an option unless the Big East has games on linear TV.

A deal worth $6-$7M per team, landing on CBS/CBSSN/Streamer seems like a win IMO.

Reaction Score
I think if fox doesn’t want to pay at least 6 million… the big east goes in the open market… with streaming being a option… we will know soon enough if it is going to be fox… the more time that goes by … the more likely it’s someone else besides fox

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The PAC's problems are because no media buyer thinks the conference will survive, so why bother investing in it?

I think most sportswriters have never understood the appeal of basketball to television. Football is still very popular, but its problem is that all the games are played on one day, and most of them are played at the same time. Basketball can be spread out over the week plus Saturday and Sunday, so while a single game will not draw what Oklahoma/Texas draws, the SEC football has 4 games kicking off on noon on Saturday, and unless someone is betting those other three games, the vast majority of viewers are only watching one game. So paying for the SEC football rights means you get to fill three time slots of content on Saturday. On the other hand, SEC basketball can be spread over multiple weeknights, Saturday and Sunday, enabling ESPN to cover a lot of ground with the same check to the SEC.

I think the Big East will do well in its media rights deals. I would like the league to be a little bigger though, or affiliated with a bigger entity. If I was Ackerman, I would start a dialogue with the ACC about an alliance or even a full blown merger. The two leagues could continue to schedule independently, but they would negotiate their next TV deal as a block. This might give the ACC the chance to re-open their TV deal early. The Big 12 is basically trying to absorb the Pac 12, and if the Pac 12 wasn't so stupid about it, it would go along with it. The Big 12 realizes that the "conference" is no longer an affiliation of similar schools or rivals, it is simply a television rights negotiating organization.

Reaction Score
The Big East schools should net a solid pay day from this tournament run right?

Reaction Score
I’m thinking about $500.000 per team per year for 6 years

Reaction Score
our basketball in the big east is find…the schools without football in the big east will do find.. we have to find a way to break even.. or close to it with football

Reaction Score
Some discussion here of the upcoming media deal.

Also this comment by David Benedict:

And there's an interesting notion of perhaps more value coming from regular-season women's basketball. UConn's juggernaut women's program now is aired on SNY, a deal Benedict said delivers consistent ratings in the New York market ahead of some pro teams. He suggested "the need to uncouple men's and women's basketball" to maximize the regular-season value, as he said much of the women's inventory is often "thrown in" to deals.

There have been historic postseason ratings for the women's game, as LSU's national title victory over Iowa smashed records, with the Nielsen "fast national numbers" coming back with 9.9 million viewers on ABC and ESPN2. That follows blockbuster regular-season games like South Carolina-UConn on Fox (1.087 million) and LSU-South Carolina on ESPN (1.45 million).

Will spikes like that end up translating to television deals? It's a question Ackerman has plenty of experience navigating, as she was the founding president of the WNBA back in 1996. "Societal currents are changing for the betterment of women's sports," she said.

Reaction Score
Saw this article that has in-depth analysis of the Big East media deal.

It’s from last August, which means it comes before the Big XII deal and its impact on revenue and time-slots. With the author (Marquette-centric) having settled in that 6.5-7M annual per team at that time, the next deal may not be the big increase some hoped.

Reaction Score
It’s from last August, which means it comes before the Big XII deal and its impact on revenue and time-slots. With the author (Marquette-centric) having settled in that 6.5-7M annual per team at that time, the next deal may not be the big increase some hoped.
That would be very disappointing if that's all Big East can get. With inflation and everything, I think $8M should be the minimal with $10M the ideal.

I guess we will find out soon.

Reaction Score
Fox increased their inventory with the big 10 and big 12 deals…the big east might have to wait till next year till they can negotiate with all the media outlets… but I think with all that has happened this past year with the new coaching hires and uconn winning the national championship… the big east should get a big bump in tv revenue

Reaction Score
I think next year is going to be a important year for the big east… it looks like we might have a few teams in the top 10… can St. Johns and Georgetown improve?…can we dominate the ncca tournament again?… could mean a big increase in tv revenue

Reaction Score
I feel like the big east is a good investment for many channels. You get a lot of inventory and you get a lot of good brands. But you dont have to pay outrageous football money to get it. I read that Tbs wanted more live sports. Not sure you want to be on that channel but the BE is what they would want to invest in. Good inventory at basketball pay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom