Next Big East Media Deal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Next Big East Media Deal

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So the question is if the NBE deal requires a GOR, does UConn sign?
Out of curiosity, outside of UConn, what schools could leave the conference for greener pastures? If a GOR is suggested, it would be solely to ensure that the remainder of the conference would remain latched onto our brand. There would be no other reason.

To answer your question: if we are presented with a paper to sign, passing off our media rights, we tell them what they can wipe with the paper.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, outside of UConn, what schools could leave the conference for greener pastures? If a GOR is suggested, it would be solely to ensure that the remainder of the conference would remain latched onto our brand. There would be no other reason.

To answer your question: if we are presented with a paper to sign, passing off our media rights, we tell them what they can wipe with the paper.
I would think it would only be presented with an A. Offer with the GOR, vs B., lesser offer without. I think a network would want to know what they are getting. Like it or not all the P5s have or will have a GOR. The BE is viewed as The P6 in basketball.

If UConn says no, and the remaining schools have to accept less they may tell UConn to go find another home.

Whole situation sucks. UConn has been twisting in the wind too long for such an accomplished AD.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would think it would only be presented with an A. Offer with the GOR, vs B., lesser offer without. I think a network would want to know what they are getting. Like it or not all the P5s have or will have a GOR. The BE is viewed as The P6 in basketball.

If UConn says no, and the remaining schools have to accept less they may tell UConn to go find another home.

Whole situation sucks. UConn has been twisting in the wind too long for such an accomplished AD.
If it's presented in that manner, we can clearly take the stance that we are the reason behind the increase and should be able to demand a large portion of the difference between A and B.

If you want to help the situation go to some football games and bring some friends.

I'm not sure there is a mechanism to kick someone out of a conference and even if there is, the other schools kicking us out would lead to an offer being C which would be lower than B, possibly by a significant amount.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When hell freezes over. There would have to be some exceptions made for UConn since it brings much more value than say depaul and is the only program looking for a football home. All things being equal -

View attachment 87756
I’m worried that a GOR may be a part of the next big east deal.

Reaction Score
I don't think GOR is a big issue. The point of a GOR is protect these really big investments by media partners. The Big East is going to sign for ~80MM a year or so at most. GOR are in place by conferences that are getting $250-300MM minimum per year.

Reaction Score
I don't think GOR is a big issue. The point of a GOR is protect these really big investments by media partners. The Big East is going to sign for ~80MM a year or so at most. GOR are in place by conferences that are getting $250-300MM minimum per year.
The Big East will easily continue ro be highest paid BB conference. It is not unreasonable that a media partner will ask that to continue to pay them a multiple of other non football conferences.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Big East will easily continue ro be highest paid BB conference. It is not unreasonable that a media partner will ask that to continue to pay them a multiple of other non football conferences.
Why? Because they can.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Hell no. I’d say this was settled with the exorbitant exit fee we signed up for.

CL82

Reaction Score
Hell no. I’d say this was settled with the exorbitant exit fee we signed up for.
Only through 2026, then it drops to $15M for the next two years, then down to $10M.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom