Newton today | The Boneyard

Newton today

Reaction Score
I have to say that he was much more engaged today. On both ends of the floor. Very noticeable. I wonder if Hurley had a discussion with him this week. Something like, "We need you if we're going to be really good. I didn't bring you in here to sleepwalk through games. We need that guy from the first part of the season. Be assertive and play your game."

I remember his father saying he was very laid back and quiet. Time is now to assert himself.

Reaction Score
I really feel like the key to making a real run at this thing is Newton playing like he did today. Drive to the basket and play under control. PG has been a glaring weakness during the slump and IMO Newton is the most talented of the bunch but he just needs to consistently play like it.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Newton looked great.

TN and to a lesser extent JC and NA are kind of more laid back characters, southern/west coast boys. Interesting to watch the dynamic between them and the more energetic gritty NY/NJ characters. Multiple ways to skin a cat but it’s interesting to watch.

Reaction Score
I absolutely loved Newton, Hawkins, Joey, Karaban and Clingan lineup today and hope we see that lineup way, way more.

Reaction Score
The proof will be in the pudding if this carries into Xavier. He needs to string together some consistency on offense and get back to his old ways and the top transfer he was billed to be.

We need 12-15 pts from him every night to compete with the best.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I saw a guy that coaching finally realized they needed to let go a little more and be a scorer before a PG per se. It worked let’s see more. I think @storrsroars pointed out he was as good 2nd half last game as well 3 good halves in a row. Need that guy!
Yeah the difference seemed to be he has made a marked change to be more aggressive looking for his own offense.
And worse opponent defenders today tbh.

Reaction Score
First game in awhile that he got to the rim aggressively and got his shot up on the backboard, and they went in.

Reaction Score
He played very good and involved, However, still cant get around his defender and that one shot he made was kind of forced.

Reaction Score
I tweeted this out yesterday. I've been hard on Newton, especially during this recent stretch. But, we NEED the Newton we saw today. His defensive motor was outstanding today, too.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yeah the difference seemed to be he has made a marked change to be more aggressive looking for his own offense.
And worse opponent defenders today tbh.
Agreed glad he found a little more ego in his game

caw

Reaction Score
IMO because Butler was so bad... Jury out until after Wednesday's game

Agree, but he wasn't doing this against bad teams for awhile now.

Honestly, I am not sure if he can do it against good teams, but it seemed he wasn't even trying for awhile. I'm lost on the correct term to use, but for a stretch it seemed the team was too over coached/well coached. I flip between the two because I love the sets Hurley runs on offense but they don't leave a lot of room for freelancing with the dribble. I am still not sure where things stand on that and will have to see going forward.

Still not a fan of how Jackson has pretty much stopped looking for his shot inside the three-point line. He had a gorgeous floater for two years and hasn't taken one in months. Not to mention just attacking the rim. I love that he is unselfish but he needs to shoot sometimes. Teams are playing him to pass it.

Reaction Score
Agree, but he wasn't doing this against bad teams for awhile now.

Honestly, I am not sure if he can do it against good teams, but it seemed he wasn't even trying for awhile. I'm lost on the correct term to use, but for a stretch it seemed the team was too over coached/well coached. I flip between the two because I love the sets Hurley runs on offense but they don't leave a lot of room for freelancing with the dribble. I am still not sure where things stand on that and will have to see going forward.

Still not a fan of how Jackson has pretty much stopped looking for his shot inside the three-point line. He had a gorgeous floater for two years and hasn't taken one in months. Not to mention just attacking the rim. I love that he is unselfish but he needs to shoot sometimes. Teams are playing him to pass it.

Agree with most everything here caw, but Andre's offense never had anything I would call "gorgeous" did he? Maybe a couple passes here and there, or a dunk but actual shooting wise, not even his floater had any prettiness to it.;)

Reaction Score
“All year (coaches) have been telling me to be aggressive, attack the paint to score,” Newton said after Wednesday’s game, an 82-79 loss to Xavier. “I feel like I’m at my best when I attack to score, get to the free throw line and when I attack, draw two, kick it to my shooters and our bigs.”

Alternate free access:

Confidence is key for UConn point guard Tristen Newton and Dan Hurley thinks he’s unlocked it

Reaction Score
“All year (coaches) have been telling me to be aggressive, attack the paint to score,” Newton said after Wednesday’s game, an 82-79 loss to Xavier. “I feel like I’m at my best when I attack to score, get to the free throw line and when I attack, draw two, kick it to my shooters and our bigs.”

Alternate free access:

Confidence is key for UConn point guard Tristen Newton and Dan Hurley thinks he’s unlocked it

If the coaches have been telling him this all year, why have we seen so little of it? Is it really his “laid back” personality? Frankly, to me, the idea of Hurley recruiting a “laid back” lead guard doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom