Newton today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newton today

Reaction Score
I posted earlier in the year , that someone has to tell Newton this is your team when you’re on the floor .
It’s , not Sanogo , it’s not Karaban , it’s not Jackson (spiritual leader is not the same thing) It’s not even Hawkins although he is a superstar . That’s not the same .
When we had Ray , KO or Sheffer were in charge.
With Rip we had Ricky or Khalid
With Emeka and Ben we had Talik
If you look at failed teams with extraordinary talent
2010, 2008, 2012 there was no clear leader or multiple people trying to assume the role. 2016 made a leap as JA took over the role from a guy playing out of position .
Every great team needs a head to get the most of the the other players .

Reaction Score
If the coaches have been telling him this all year, why have we seen so little of it? Is it really his “laid back” personality? Frankly, to me, the idea of Hurley recruiting a “laid back” lead guard doesn’t make a ton of sense.
Eh, you can spin it both ways. Who do you want as a lead guard in a final 4 or Elite 8 game? Someone who is neurotic and on edge like our head coach or someone who is calm…I’ll take a calm demeanor as long as they can still bring it

Reaction Score
I think Newton is the key to this team…the coaching staff has been on him to be assertive… when he does he’s tough to stop.. he usually gets fouled… i bet this coaching staff figures things out… then watch out

Reaction Score
He may be the key and his offense vs Xavier was good, but his defense was pretty bad and I am being polite.

Reaction Score
Eh, you can spin it both ways. Who do you want as a lead guard in a final 4 or Elite 8 game? Someone who is neurotic and on edge like our head coach or someone who is calm…I’ll take a calm demeanor as long as they can still bring it
I would think that a former PG coach would recruit a lead guard that fits his style and offensive philosophy (which is what, now that I think about it). I can’t see some hyper-anxious coach like DH looking for a calming presence in a 21 year old he is supposed to lead. But hey who knows

Also let’s win one game in the Tournament before we talk about who we want leading the team in the final four

Reaction Score
I would think that a former PG coach would recruit a lead guard that fits his style and offensive philosophy (which is what, now that I think about it). I can’t see some hyper-anxious coach like DH looking for a calming presence in a 21 year old he is supposed to lead. But hey who knows

Also let’s win one game in the Tournament before we talk about who we want leading the team in the final four
Name one player on our team who had brought it every game. I can’t think of one. He had a rough stretch, but we’ve lost exactly 1 game with him playing at his best. He’s the key to our season, so rather than crap all over the guy, maybe we should stand behind him and cheer for him

Reaction Score
Name one player on our team who had brought it every game. I can’t think of one. He had a rough stretch, but we’ve lost exactly 1 game with him playing at his best. He’s the key to our season, so rather than crap all over the guy, maybe we should stand behind him and cheer for him
Good lord, if you think I’m “crapping all over” Newton, please stop drinking before you hurt yourself

Reaction Score

Richie Springs?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m guessing it’s been a weird adjustment for him. Going from “do it all” guard at ECU, to setup man for an elite shooting and post up offense in our first 14 games, back to “do it all” guard. It looks like he knows what we need right now, hoping he’s turned the corner.

Reaction Score
Good lord, if you think I’m “crapping all over” Newton, please stop drinking before you hurt yourself
Sorry but this board gets irrational especially after losses. Suddenly our team that looked invincible the first 14 games and had everyone singing the praises of our coach can do nothing right. It’s a long season and teams have rough spells. Most of the teams in the top 25 lost this week, not just us. If you think Hurley has a recruiting problem then it’s not me who has the drinking problem. I apologize that I have a little more faith in our team turning things around than most “fans” on this board. If people on here started acting more like fans and less like the team’s biggest critics this board would be a lot more tolerable.

Reaction Score
“All year (coaches) have been telling me to be aggressive, attack the paint to score,” Newton said after Wednesday’s game, an 82-79 loss to Xavier. “I feel like I’m at my best when I attack to score, get to the free throw line and when I attack, draw two, kick it to my shooters and our bigs.”

Alternate free access:

Confidence is key for UConn point guard Tristen Newton and Dan Hurley thinks he’s unlocked it

Bingo

Reaction Score
Sorry but this board gets irrational especially after losses. Suddenly our team that looked invincible the first 14 games and had everyone singing the praises of our coach can do nothing right. It’s a long season and teams have rough spells. Most of the teams in the top 25 lost this week, not just us. If you think Hurley has a recruiting problem then it’s not me who has the drinking problem. I apologize that I have a little more faith in our team turning things around than most “fans” on this board. If people on here started acting more like fans and less like the team’s biggest critics this board would be a lot more tolerable.
Put the sauce down.

Reaction Score
I have to say that he was much more engaged today. On both ends of the floor. Very noticeable. I wonder if Hurley had a discussion with him this week. Something like, "We need you if we're going to be really good. I didn't bring you in here to sleepwalk through games. We need that guy from the first part of the season. Be assertive and play your game."

I remember his father saying he was very laid back and quiet. Time is now to assert himself.
Hopefully, Tristan Newton will be to the Uconn Huskies what Daniel Jones is to my NFL team New York Giants. Newton is our point guard whom some people doubt, me makes his share of mistakes, but also has great moments too. Daniel Jones is a quarterback with great potential with a decent skill set (maybe not great...yet) also with his doubters....but makes errors too. Jones played a big role in getting the Giants back to being a contender....but can Newton do the same for Uconn?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom