Newton has turned the corner | The Boneyard

Newton has turned the corner

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He's got 20+ points in back to back games, but more importantly he's attacking the paint and drawing fouls. I know DePaul isn't great but the last two games he's looked like a completely different player offensively.

Reaction Score
He's got 20+ points in back to back games, but more importantly he's attacking the paint and drawing fouls. I know DePaul isn't great but the last two games he's looked like a completely different player offensively.

I honestly think this team's Achilles heal has been it's confidence . Guys like Hawkins and Newton were holding themselves back by not being confident to drive to the basket and finish. Ajax has like 0 confidence right now. That's been the difference maker from the first 14 games and the past 10.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think they have the blueprint going forward if they want it.

Hawk, Newton and Sanogo are the three guys who can carry the team going forward. They gotta show up. Jackson just needs to do what he can do - defense, rebounds, assists. Don’t care if he scores. Also, enough with the techs.

Everyone else…fill in the gaps.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. Newton is the key to this team. His threes are a bonus, but it's his attacking the rim that is the key to our success and is the biggest difference between the NC and conference games.

Reaction Score
Newton had a fine couple of games. Would like to see him off the ball on a few occasions, looking for his shot along with Karaban. Newton tends to dribble across half court. The first half was played with a much better pace than the second half in which we played DePaul about even. Our offense tends to bog down at a slower pace.

We seem better playing an up-tempo game before the defense is set in my opinion. Newton needs to pass downcourt more, but our offense set-up doesn't encourage that unless Jackson brings up the ball. Hope our coaches can pick up on this point.

Reaction Score
My only observation is that Newton sometimes takes shots too quickly at the beginning of the shot clock. I believe he had a quick one last night that resulted in an air ball. But he is definitely improving.

Reaction Score
Newton's first eight conference games:

7.5p, 36.4 2p%, 3.1 FTA

Newton's last four conference games:

16.5p, 61.9 2p%, 7.8 FTAs

It's taken him a while, but he's starting to figure out how to attack the basket and draw fouls in the Big East at the elite rate he was able to last year at ECU (5th in AAC in fouls drawn last season, 8th in the Big East this season).

Great UConn teams feature players with unique abilities, and that is Newton's unique ability.

Reaction Score
My only observation is that Newton sometimes takes shots too quickly at the beginning of the shot clock. I believe he had a quick one last night that resulted in an air ball. But he is definitely improving.
Me and my wife were right behind the bench last night , after he threw up that air ball he looked over at Hurley and mouthed " I'm so sorry coach" . Hurley nodded.

Reaction Score
Me and my wife were right behind the bench last night , after he threw up that air ball he looked over at Hurley and mouthed " I'm so sorry coach" . Hurley nodded.
This one thing speaks more about the respect this team has for the coach and how DH has evolved with his players. We can make up whatever narrative fits our down in the dumps mindset but that says it all. Newton Hawkins and sanogo we’re having a blast before they ended the night with big numbers. As @Letsgohuskies11 said: confidence is huge

Reaction Score
It is well known here that I have not been a fan of Newton's game, but I must pause my criticisms and offer kudos for his performance in the last 2 games. Going forward, hopefully he continues to perform at this level. The team needs his best play to succeed.

Reaction Score
Newton's first eight conference games:

7.5p, 36.4 2p%, 3.1 FTA

Newton's last four conference games:

16.5p, 61.9 2p%, 7.8 FTAs

It's taken him a while, but he's starting to figure out how to attack the basket and draw fouls in the Big East at the elite rate he was able to last year at ECU (5th in AAC in fouls drawn last season, 8th in the Big East this season).

Great UConn teams feature players with unique abilities, and that is Newton's unique ability.
For context, our last 4 opponents (w/ Kenpom adjD rank and Newton’s stats):
  • Seton Hall (15) - 11pts (6/6 FT)
  • Butler (88) - 11pts (5/6 FT)
  • Xavier (94) - 23pts (9/11 FT)
  • Depaul (190) - 21pts (8/8 FT)

Mainly curious if his recent improvement is a trend that will continue against stronger defenses, or an artifact of playing a few weaker ones.

Reaction Score

Mainly curious if his recent improvement is a trend that will continue against stronger defenses, or an artifact of playing a few weaker ones.
time will tell, but what if he wasn't doing that against the weaker defenses? That would be worse. Seton Hall's D is good isn't it?

Reaction Score

He really needs to be the lead guard. I know that hamstrings Andre even more on offense if he's off-ball, but Newton can put up points in a hurry... and we need that. His ability to draw fouls helps EVERYONE down the stretch. Being in the bonus is a huge handicap.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think they have the blueprint going forward if they want it.

Hawk, Newton and Sanogo are the three guys who can carry the team going forward. They gotta show up. Jackson just needs to do what he can do - defense, rebounds, assists. Don’t care if he scores. Also, enough with the techs.

Everyone else…fill in the gaps.

Totally agree. Its the only real way going down the stretch.

Im entirely sure the first player has what it takes, pretty darn confident on the 3rd player. I just don't see the 2nd, or just in my mind that level of trust for that job has eluded me.

Reaction Score
Newton and AJ just don’t mix on the floor. Newton was a different guy earlier in the season with AJ out or coming off the bench.

Newton seems to finally have adjusted and realized that he is the point and he can score and not to worry about AJ

Reaction Score
Newton stepping up as the third guy would be huge to take the pressure off of Hawk and Adama. He is the guy on the roster to take his man off the dribble and improvise when the play breaks down. Also stepped up when the game got alittle dicey and settled the team back down.

Reaction Score

Taking this one step further…

Breaking down the big east defenses into tiers (as best as I could find natural breaks so don’t kill me on this):
  • Hardest D ;) - top 70 adjD
  • Average D - 70-120 adjD
  • Softest D - 120+ adjD

Teams break down as follows:
  • Hard: Hall, Creigh, Prov, SJ, Marq
  • Avg: But x2, Xav x2, Nova
  • Soft: Dep, GT

Here’s Newton’s stats against each Tier (take with grain of salt since sample size is small):
  • Hardest D: 7.4ppg, 44% 2p, 3.0 FTApg
  • Average D: 10.2ppg, 41% 2p, 5.0 FTApg
  • Softest D: 19.0ppg, 70% 2p, 8.0 FTApg
Next week’s games (Marq, Creighton) will tell us a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Taking this one step further…

Breaking down the big east defenses into tiers (as best as I could find natural breaks so don’t kill me on this):
  • Hardest D ;) - top 70 adjD
  • Average D - 70-120 adjD
  • Softest D - 120+ adjD

Teams break down as follows:
  • Hard: Hall, Creigh, Prov, SJ, Marq
  • Avg: But x2, Xav x2, Nova
  • Soft: Dep, GT

Here’s Newton’s stats against each Tier (take with grain of salt since sample size is small):
  • Hardest D: 7.4ppg, 44% 2p, 3.0 FTApg
  • Average D: 10.2ppg, 41% 2p, 5.0 FTApg
  • Softest D: 19.0ppg, 70% 2p, 8.0 FTApg
Next week’s games (Marq, Creighton) will tell us a lot.
thanks for the numbers and the tiers. I like Newton's game against Creighton, too. I thought he was big in that game. Yesterday's game against DePaul was a more extreme version of the game vs Creighton in terms of scoring distribution-it was Sanogo, Hawkins, and Newton doing almost all the scoring. In the Creighton game those 3 scored 56 of the 69 points in that game.

Reaction Score
Just like R.J. Cole took some time to acclimate to Big East play, Newton has started to get it. He and Hawkins should be in the 36-38 minute range every game, fouls notwithstanding. It's time to shorten the bench regarding the backup guard play. Joey has lost his shot and game time is no place to try and find it again. Diarra doesn't give us much offensively, and Alleyne can't penetrate the way Newton can. Johnson can spell Karaban without too much of a drop-off. Jackson should stay on the floor as long as fouls permit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom