Newton has turned the corner | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newton has turned the corner

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I'll admit, I was wrong about Newton. Has looked great in the lead guard role. Needs more freedom and he'll continue to flourish.

Reaction Score
Both he and Hawkins not only look much more assertive recently but fresher physically. Looked like a lot of guys on the team hit a wall physically recently and now have a second wind.

Reaction Score
I think they have the blueprint going forward if they want it.

Hawk, Newton and Sanogo are the three guys who can carry the team going forward. They gotta show up. Jackson just needs to do what he can do - defense, rebounds, assists. Don’t care if he scores. Also, enough with the techs.

Everyone else…fill in the gaps.
Would also be nice to have Joey get his confidence back from 3. He was automatic during that 14 game winning streak. Him coming off the bench for 10 minutes or so and hitting 2 or 3 threes can shift the momentum in a close game.

Reaction Score
For context, our last 4 opponents (w/ Kenpom adjD rank and Newton’s stats):
  • Seton Hall (15) - 11pts (6/6 FT)
  • Butler (88) - 11pts (5/6 FT)
  • Xavier (94) - 23pts (9/11 FT)
  • Depaul (190) - 21pts (8/8 FT)

Mainly curious if his recent improvement is a trend that will continue against stronger defenses, or an artifact of playing a few weaker ones.
I like since the Butler game he has been driving to the hoops and using his height and strength to overpower guards. This is a key to the offense and must continue for us to be successful. Him and Hawkins going to the basket has been a great sight to see. Definitely has been something that Hurley has been pushing since the Seton Hall game.

Reaction Score
This one thing speaks more about the respect this team has for the coach and how DH has evolved with his players. We can make up whatever narrative fits our down in the dumps mindset but that says it all. Newton Hawkins and sanogo we’re having a blast before they ended the night with big numbers. As @Letsgohuskies11 said: confidence is huge
We noticed Newton , Alex and Hawkins constantly smiling throughout the game. Even when DePaul made their run , these guys never got down. Andre Jackson is without the a doubt, the biggest supporter of his teammates. Constantly engaged with ALL the players , constantly cheering his teammates on and clearly takes his mistakes seriously. You can see it written all over his face. This kid loves winning and hates losing. Hurley talks to Andre the most, from what we saw

Reaction Score
Newton was awesome against Oregon. But over the next stretch, as his three fell with with less frequency, it affected his whole game.

Once again his three has been falling and it affects his whole game --he looks great. The real test comes when his three is a little off. He has to maintain his aggressiveness, his drives to the paint, drawing fouls, his defense and especially his ball handling.

Hopefully going though a slump and coming out the other side will have toughened him mentally. We're going to need him.

Reaction Score
Newton was awesome against Oregon. But over the next stretch, as his three fell with with less frequency, it affected his whole game.

Once again his three has been falling and it affects his whole game --he looks great. The real test comes when his three is a little off. He has to maintain his aggressiveness, his drives to the paint, drawing fouls, his defense and especially his ball handling.

Hopefully going though a slump and coming out the other side will have toughened him mentally. We're going to need him.
I think the "feed the post at all costs" game plan messed with these kids pretty bad. That is not what Hawkins and Newton are built for. It isn't Alleyne's game either (I think he's going to help us yet). I just have my fingers crossed we can stick with the new game plan and let these guys create. Even Sanogo benefited from the two bigs offense. Who didn't love it when he successfully took his man off the dribble 3 times in second half? It shows offensive versatility on his part, which is good for his career and it opened up the floor.

Reaction Score
I think the "feed the post at all costs" game plan messed with these kids pretty bad. That is not what Hawkins and Newton are built for. It isn't Alleyne's game either (I think he's going to help us yet). I just have my fingers crossed we can stick with the new game plan and let these guys create. Even Sanogo benefited from the two bigs offense. Who didn't love it when he successfully took his man off the dribble 3 times in second half? It shows offensive versatility on his part, which is good for his career and it opened up the floor.

Can’t complain about any of the end results of Sanogo facing up in the mid post. Great way to avoid the hard double teams, and allows him to use some of his skills that teams don’t have scouted. Makes him much harder to guard

Imagine how much this could even be improved with an entry to Clingan. Sanogo is 6’9 so very few people can block his pass. Clingan is 7’2 so very few people can steal it over him

Reaction Score

He is 29% from 3 his last 4 games. His 2% and FTA are the big changes- 61% from 2 over the last 4 games while shooting almost 8 FTs a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom