Newton and Spencer Big East First Team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Newton and Spencer Big East First Team

Reaction Score
Hell yes and in the NCAAT. I hope he reacts like Kemba after Ben Hansborough got BE POY in 2011
That was the biggest joke that he got it over Kemba that year

Reaction Score
I actually wonder if team performance causes certain players to be slightly overrated on EvanMiya.com, because our guys all look amazing by his numbers. Per his ratings, we have five of the top eight players in the Big East and six of the top 13. It’s ludicrous how good we’ve been.
IMG_4590.jpeg

Reaction Score
It is Hurley, he's still mad at him for bad defensive performances at Creighton & Seton Hall.

Just kidding!! You are not allowed to vote for your own players.
No, Newton was unanimous.

Reaction Score
The only thing that matters to these guys is the ring. The one they got last year, and the one they want this year.
Add BE Conference Champions and BET Champs to that list. One down, two to go!

Reaction Score
I actually wonder if team performance causes certain players to be slightly overrated on EvanMiya.com, because our guys all look amazing by his numbers. Per his ratings, we have five of the top eight players in the Big East and six of the top 13. It’s ludicrous how good we’ve been.
View attachment 97493
Interesting stats
The Freshman on the list
Stephon Castle

Award winners not in top 20 on list
Danis Jenkins, St. John's, All-Big East Second Team
Quincy Olivari, Xavier, All-Big East Honorable Mention

Top 20 on list no awards
Alex Karaban
Hassan Diarra
Stevie Mitchell
Steven Ashworth
Kam Jones
Joel Soriano
Jaden Bediako

I didn't get to see Danis Jenkins but the kid played 2 years at Pacific and 1 year at Iona. The Portal is the way.

Reaction Score
In addition to team accolades (BET and National Champs) to achieve, there's a lot of individual hardware to earn in both tournaments. I hope that AK brings some home.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban, Clingan, coached by Hurley.

vs.

Kolek, Carter, Kadary, Baylor, and Kalkbrenner, coached by Holloway (or Shaka or McDermott if they want).

Seems pretty even honestly.
Build it out with Diarra as the 6th Man, and the other team gets whoever wins the award if it isn't Diarra (or the next highest vote getter if it is).

Reaction Score
View attachment 97493
He's admitted there is some correlation between teammates that can overrate others in his metric, but I don't believe UConn is a good example of that. There's been a good amount of data without each other (Karaban missed a game, Castle 6, Clingan 5) and this phenomenon is usually when there's 1 star that carries teammates (like Braden Smith being high partially due to Edey). UConn has a more balanced approach in both scoring and impact.

You could argue the scheme is so good that it overrates the players, but that's a slightly different conversation and it takes good (and smart) players to make it work so well.

But yeah, it's ludicrous that we went 18-2 in conference, so ludicrous results like this should be the end result. It's ludicrous we had a +17.2 scoring margin against a top 50 schedule, too.

Reaction Score
View attachment 97493
As someone has already stated, because of UConn’s dominance I’m not sure what this really shows us when comparing UConn players to those on other teams. What I find interesting, however, is the comparison of the on court value of UConn’s players. For those of us who have had real issues determining how important each of the five starters is relevant to the others, here is some data and a relevant ranking of Clingan, Castle, Newton, Spencer, Karaban. And showing why Diarra in for one of them isn’t a huge drop off.

Reaction Score
Somebody agrees with me that Clingan should be BE POTY. He is the only true unicorn in the league.

Reaction Score
View attachment 97493
I don’t think it overrates UConn players. Newton=spencer= Karaban.

Clingan remains a dominant player and a castle is a top freshman and very good.

For a college team, UConn is about as good as you’re going to get. All 5 starters are nba caliber players and are experienced, which makes them that much more difficult to beat.

There isn’t a sure fire top 5 nba pick on team though Clingan and Castle could be mid-late
Lottery.

I think Hurley might have found his niche getting transfers. Nearly everyone brought in has really been impactful.

Reaction Score
Somebody agrees with me that Clingan should be BE POTY. He is the only true unicorn in the league.
I don’t disagree. He is the only player in conference that changes the game, and how you play.

Reaction Score
He is the most valuable player in the league by a huge amount. However, given the number of games he missed, his numbers and the way these awards are usually given, I wouldn’t have expected him to be a contender for POTY.

Having said that, it is absolutely clear that there is not another player in the conference where the game changes as much if foul trouble or an injury sends him off the court.

Reaction Score
View attachment 97493
I mean, the team success results from the success of individual players, so that makes sense, right?

We were 4 games better than everyone else in conference, and won a lot of our games by huge margins. Our efficiency numbers should be through the roof.

Actually, what I find interesting is how much of our defensive prowess is ascribed to Clingan alone. Most of our other guys are ranked pretty poorly, aside from Castle and Diarra. I wonder if Samson Johnson being pretty mediocre on D is pulling down everyone else's D numbers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i think we have learned that "big east weekly honors" have very little impact on all-league voting, but here are the final regular season tallies all the same. karaban got another nod for honorable mention (more on that later)

PlayerTeamPOTWFOTWHonor Role
Pierre BrooksButler1
Jahmyl TelfortButler3
Jalen ThomasButler1
DJ DavisButler2
Trey AlexanderCreighton24
Baylor ScheiermanCreighton23
Ryan KalkbrennerCreighton2
Chico CarterDePaul1
Rowan BrumbaughGeorgetown1
Dontrez StylesGeorgetown1
Jayden EppsGeorgetown2
Kam JonesMarquette22
Tyler KolekMarquette24
Oso IghodaroMarquette2
Sean JonesMarquette1
Devin CarterPeeCee27
Bryce HopkinsPeeCee3
Rich BarronPeeCee1
Josh OduroPeeCee1
Kadary RichmondSeton Hall24
Al-Amir DawesSeton Hall11
Dre DavisSeton Hall11
Isaiah ColemanSeton Hall2
Joel SorianoSt. John's5
Brady DunlapSt. John's1
Glen Taylor JrSt. John's1
Daniss JenkinsSt. John's4
Donovan ClinganUConn2
Stephon CastleUConn11
Alex KarabanUConn5
Tristen NewtonUConn15
Solomon BallUConn1
Cam SpencerUConn2
Eric DixonVillanova13
Tyler BurtonVillanova1
Justin MooreVillanova1
TJ BambaVillanova1
Desmond ClaudeXavier4
Lazar DjokovicXavier1
Quincy OlivariXavier13

Reaction Score
with castle removed (he would be number one otherwise) here is a list of the players with the most weekly honors.

karaban is BY FAR the player with the most honors to NOT make an all-league team. according to this (admittedly lacking) metric, he had a top-10 season in the big east. kind of a shocking omission.

Devin Carter9
Trey Alexander6
Tyler Kolek6
Kadary Richmond6
Tristen Newton6
Baylor Scheierman5
Joel Soriano5
Alex Karaban5
Kam Jones4
Daniss Jenkins4
Eric Dixon4
Desmond Claude4
Quincy Olivari4
Jahmyl Telfort3
Bryce Hopkins3
DJ Davis2
Ryan Kalkbrenner2
Jayden Epps2
Oso Ighodaro2
Al-Amir Dawes2
Dre Davis2
Isaiah Coleman2
Donovan Clingan2
Cam Spencer2
Pierre Brooks1
Jalen Thomas1
Chico Carter1
Rowan Brumbaugh1
Dontrez Styles1
Sean Jones1
Rich Barron1
Josh Oduro1
Brady Dunlap1
Glen Taylor Jr1
Solomon Ball1
Tyler Burton1
Justin Moore1
TJ Bamba1
Lazar Djokovic1

Reaction Score
with castle removed (he would be number one otherwise) here is a list of the players with the most weekly honors.

karaban is BY FAR the player with the most honors to NOT make an all-league team. according to this (admittedly lacking) metric, he had a top-10 season in the big east. kind of a shocking
Does this lead u to surmise we have a few more awards coming so they stopped giving out mention to UConn..POTY, DPOTY?

Reaction Score
All of UConn starting 5 deserves making 1st or second team, but these teams rarely have more than 2 players from one team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom