Newsome should start | The Boneyard

Newsome should start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Newsome should start this upcoming game. With the way Max ran the ball in the first half last game, you have to wonder what Arkeel could have done had he been in there. Newsome is just too big of a playmaker and offensive game changer to not get as many possessions as possible and as early as possible. As long as he can pass protect, slot him as a starter and put pressure on the opposing D.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Newsome should start this upcoming game. With the way Max ran the ball in the first half last game, you have to wonder what Arkeel could have done had he been in there. Newsome is just too big of a playmaker and offensive game changer to not get as many possessions as possible and as early as possible. As long as he can pass protect, slot him as a starter and put pressure on the opposing D.
I'm under the impression his pass blocking is not up to par yet - it's a liability.
Otherwise I would agree to play him as much as possible.

Reaction Score
His pass blocking is poor at best. I wonder how much he did in high school. Omitting the pass blacking I agree. I think that none of the RB's are good at pass blocking.

Reaction Score
Pulleeeeze!! Give him the ball! Let him create and score! His pass blocking will come. He did very little pass blocking in high school, but he ran for over 10K yards. Let's get our priorities in place. Right know the offense is a sucking chest wound, gotta do something!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Pulleeeeze!! Give him the ball! Let him create and score! His pass blocking will come. He did very little pass blocking in high school, but he ran for over 10K yards. Let's get our priorities in place. Right know the offense is a sucking chest wound, gotta do something!
If pass blocking wasn't a priority he probably would be on the field for just about very snap - but it matters.

Reaction Score
If pass blocking wasn't a priority he probably would be on the field for just about very snap - but it matters.
Agree. There have been plays when he went to block left and blocked air. The pressure came from the right and wasn't bloacked. His or one of the other backs responsibility to pick that up. It will come with time.

Reaction Score
We need a QB with the ability to run for his life and see the field to make plays (pass the ball or run if necessary as well as hand off to the RBs)... we make a few quick big plays on these 8 in the box defenses that have ZERO respect for our offense and it could open things up for us....

Reaction Score
pass blocking will come in time, get him running now. Sure it matters, get him running now

Reaction Score
I'm a big advocate but he's not going to turn this season around by himself and we shouldn't be in a hurry to overload him.

Reaction Score
I think this season is past turning around. Time will tell of course. Thinking about the set up for next season. Not advocating overloading, just loading a bit. And at the same time put in new OL. Get the current starters thinking about playing better or being replaced. Do something now, going nowhere the way it is.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Unfortunately pass blocking from the rb position is a vital part of running a balanced offense, especially when you have a less than stellar offensive line. I would love to say screw it line him up and pound it down their throats like all the other physical teams do but we just aren't there yet, the line just isn't physically or mentally capable of dominating his man in order to create the running lanes needed for a ground and pound type of offense. As we sit right now the best thing for the offense is to let delo carry the load, he knows his pass pro as well as his schemes. This will help with the confidence in the line knowing they can depend on him to pick up his assignment and not have to worry if the back is going to be there or not. Trust me I would love to take out the Ferrari (Newsome) and the mustang (Ron Jon) and let em rip but that would be like driving them around the parking lot. Next year that one two punch will be as explosive as any in the country but for now I know it seems crazy but we have to take care of the building blocks of our offense. A sound well balanced attack. Hang in there guys cuz once we do start clicking its gonna be a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
Start Newsome at RB in 1st & 2nd down, & move him to wing back-slot receiver for 3rd downs. Getting him the ball in open field is a sight to see as shown by the pass that he caught against BYU & his touchdown last game. Your best weapon should be on the field as much as possible.

Reaction Score
Watching Ole Miss beat Bama yesterday their offense had a slot WR in motion moving past the QB as the ball is snapped on just about every play, that should be Newsome.

Our offense resembles Bama's pro style attack which every analyst says only works when you have top tier talent. Which begs the question, what the heck is Diaco doing with this offense?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In all fairness, i think Max has been pretty good so far. I agree that AN has the highest ceiling, but he really does need to learn pass blocking, but once he's even adequate, he should see far more time.

I also love the idea of lining him up in the slot, but one thing at a time...get pass blocking down, then move on to slot receiving routes...imo.

I certainly love when he touches the ball though. It could be a big play at any given time. It's been a while since we've had that.

Reaction Score
Don't really agree with above, but not really coaching the team either. Same stale thinking however :)

Reaction Score
In all fairness, i think Max has been pretty good so far. I agree that AN has the highest ceiling, but he really does need to learn pass blocking, but once he's even adequate, he should see far more time.

I also love the idea of lining him up in the slot, but one thing at a time...get pass blocking down, then move on to slot receiving routes...imo.

I certainly love when he touches the ball though. It could be a big play at any given time. It's been a while since we've had that.

I agree Max has done well and he did in that game I mentioned. My point was now that Newsome got his feet wet, let the best back start. Those 8-10 yard gains could've been a 40 yard TD w/ Newsome.

Reaction Score
When WVU had Tavon Austin and K State had D. Sproles how much pass blocking did they do? Get him the ball in space. Why run into the pile from the I- formation?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Newsome should be getting about 15 touches a game at this point in his development. I don't think the staff is far off.

Reaction Score
Newsome should be getting about 15 touches a game at this point in his development. I don't think the staff is far off.

You're missing the point entirely. It's not about touches, it's when. Let the big backs finish the game, start w/ Newsome early who provides the most threat to the opposing D.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're missing the point entirely. It's not about touches, it's when. Let the big backs finish the game, start w/ Newsome early who provides the most threat to the opposing D.

That was your entire point? If that is your entire point, then I will stay out of this thread because it is utterly asinine.

Reaction Score
When WVU had Tavon Austin and K State had D. Sproles how much pass blocking did they do? Get him the ball in space. Why run into the pile from the I- formation?
Exactly

Reaction Score
This offense lacks imagination. When you have a poor line, you need to adjust to keep defenses on their heels. Misdirection, fly sweeps, screens. . . etc. Newsome can be an integral part of that type of offense, even with his abysmal blocking. I would take the fb out of the offense and develop h backs. Problem is, our tight ends are worse than Newsome at blocking, save for flashes by Myers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom